CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Hitting off-set clubs

I purchased a set of forged KZG irons and they are offset but I am not used to this type of iron. I usually draw the ball and I have noticed that my misses are always to the right (pull as I am a lefty). I was playing on a simulator and noticed that if I played the ball slightly further back in my stance that I was no longer pulling the ball to the right but I cannot really rely on this as it was indoors and I was just about finished at the time.

My question is the following, should one set the ball up further back in the stance for such an off set iron? Should one set up differently for the off set especially in my case where I already draw the ball? I love the feel of these irons so your help is much appreciated.

Luc
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I purchased a set of forged KZG irons and they are offset but I am not used to this type of iron. I usually draw the ball and I have noticed that my misses are always to the right (pull as I am a lefty). I was playing on a simulator and noticed that if I played the ball slightly further back in my stance that I was no longer pulling the ball to the right but I cannot really rely on this as it was indoors and I was just about finished at the time.

My question is the following, should one set the ball up further back in the stance for such an off set iron? Should one set up differently for the off set especially in my case where I already draw the ball? I love the feel of these irons so your help is much appreciated.
    Firstly, I would never trust anything that a "simulator" indicates because that's all it does - simulates.

You say that you draw the ball, AND that you pull the ball. A draw has an inside path while a pull has an outside path which makes me ask which path do you normally have.

However, all other things being equal, an off set club will see the club face fractionally more closed at impact than one with minimal offset, so it does make sense that a ball played a bit farther back in your stance using the offset clubs, will NOT see the face closed quite as much.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    When I bought a set of irons with more offset, I found that I was pulling most of my shots. I moved the ball back a bit and the pull went away.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I also question the accuracy of the simulator which is the reason for the post. I just thought I had stumbled onto something with the ball position. Larry, it seems you solved the pull by altering the ball position. I think my pulls are just that and that my good swings see the draw result.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Hi leftylucas,

You cannot go by what the simulator indicates. Especially when it comes to curving your shot (draws and fades). Most of time, it will give you a good indication of the direction of the shot and is decent with the trajectory but it doesn't simulate curve well at all. As a lefty, every time you start your ball out to the left, it will give you a fade. Everytime you start your ball out to the right (a pull for a lefty) it will give you a draw. If you hook the crap out of your ball but it travels straight through the sensors, the simulator will give you a fairly straight shot. That's just a flaw in the way the simulator interprets your shot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, by adjusting your ball position, you're now starting your shot at 90 degrees to the sensors instead of at at 89 or 91 degrees and this may be the only difference in the two shots. Ask gbower what he thinks of the simulators ability to simulate curve.

Simulators are for entertainment only for most of us. Of course, they will help with someone who is trying the work on alignment etc. but mostly they are for fun. IMO

SH

Luc

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I think my pulls are just that and that my good swings see the draw result.
    Forgive me for being persistent, but the contradiction between a draw and a pull is so great that an offset club head may have huge implications for each kind of shot shape. As a LEFTY, a draw starts LEFT and curves back to on line. The path is inside and the face is slightly open. With a pull to the RIGHT the path is outside and the face is closed. To go from one extreme to the other is most unusual.

The offset will turn your DRAW into an almost STRAIGHT shot or a slight hook(path inside, face now square) and the pull would become a pull hook(outside path, more closed face).

The offset will help the former but hurt the latter.

That is it BC, and yes I am most unusual because when I miss my shot I pull it. That is not to say that it is way off line, I usually end up close to where I was aiming but I can tell that its not my usual shot shape.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information