CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question???

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar

Question???

Without the obvious answer " as many as possible " how many rounds per year do you play on average? And how many do you think one needs to play to improve.

This is my first year actually trying to play a lot but as I cannot play during the week very easily I have played nearly 20 rounds this season and will continue to play until the end of the season. I have seen a noticeable improvement this year, especially in my wedge play as my scoring has gone down and I no longer use a " foot wedge " or take any mulligans. Thoughts?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'm lucky to play 25 rounds a year right now. It's frustrating for me because I'm missing the consistency that I had when I used to play 2-3 times as much.

IMO to improve year over year while only playing 25-30 rounds, you need to practice as much as you play. If you can squeeze in 1-2 hours a week of dedicated practice time you'll get the most out of limited playing time. And, carry your practice through the winter. Putting can easily be done at home. Consider a membership at an indoor facility.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Thumbs up got it on the nose Lob Wedge

IMO to improve year over year while only playing 25-30 rounds, you need to practice as much as you play. If you can squeeze in 1-2 hours a week of dedicated practice time you'll get the most out of limited playing time.
    Perfect! Leave a club or two in the trunk of your car.

And, carry your practice through the winter.
    Also a MUST needed practice.

Now as for number of times I play? Usually play about 25 rounds a year during the first 3 months of the year (jan/feb/mar) at Golf-O-Max.

Then I bring it outdoor and try for about 100 rounds before there's too much snow on the course. This inlcudes about 15-20 tournaments.

I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Perfect! Leave a club or two in the trunk of your car.

Also a MUST needed practice.

Now as for number of times I play? Usually play about 25 rounds a year during the first 3 months of the year (jan/feb/mar) at Golf-O-Max.

Then I bring it outdoor and try for about 100 rounds before there's too much snow on the course. This inlcudes about 15-20 tournaments.

Guess I need a higher paying Job!!!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Can we say golf pig! Steve.

Honestly, you only improve with practice, whether its at a driving range or with actual play. You have to concentrate on the fundamentals of golf, think about ball position, grip, stance, swing mechanics, what did I do right?, wrong?. I find the more comfortable I am, the more relaxed, the more natural I feel the better. When I press or try to smash it, or need a good chip to get it close to get a par the worse I play. Everyone on this forum will agree, the game of golf is a handicap, just when you think you know or feel your ready to break that milestone, you almost always choke and play the worst round ever, only to rebound with an excellent game. I play minimum once a week, not near enough to get my handicap down any lower than 13-15. I would invest in a membership at a particular club(OttawaGolf) and play as much as possible, practice putting in the basement so when your looking at a 5 to 10 footer for par, your comfortable with it. Read lots of golf related books, solicite advice from friends, buy decent clubs, take ongoing lessons, whatever it takes...just have fun and play by the rules.

And if all else fails, drink beer until you pass out and forget about the crumby round you just had.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've played probably 50 rounds so far this year although it is a very down year for me having changed jobs and moved to a new town. Previously I would play more than 150 rounds a year. But of course, I have no kids and no real life other than golf...
    I have definitely noticed a drop off in my game compared to previous years. There really is no substitute for playing.

Talking hahaha

Andy4Par

I can say it ...................

But in all honesty, did my game improved because I play alot? A definate..... yes!

What I was agreeing about earlier was Lob Wedge saying you can get just a much improvements even if you don't play alot of rounds. If you practice a few times a week (on the way home from work....... bring the kids for an hour on saturday etc.). This will really help your game. The other factor that was not mentioned yet is the mental approach to this fine game. Course management is a far more important to me than other players and yet I have gotten better because of it. Some say boring but then when at the end of the day they buy the beer ...... how boring is that?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    The other factor that was not mentioned yet is the mental approach to this fine game. Course management is a far more important to me than other players and yet I have gotten better because of it. Some say boring but then when at the end of the day they buy the beer ...... how boring is that?
    Bingo!

Your best club is beween your ears. If you can think your way around the course you'll have a much better looking scorecard at the end of your round. The winner's beer is always coldest.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

It does take a while to figure out but when you do...............

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl
    how many rounds per year do you play on average? And how many do you think one needs to play to improve.
    50 rounds this summer. Fantastic, but sometimes disappointing without the right mind set.

I notice my practice now is much better than when I was younger. When you're young you think you can re-invent the game. Now that I focus on the fundamentals AND understand them, my practice leads to improvement. Before, practice was ingraining bad habits. By far the short game practice brings the best results, but I just cant find a practice area I like for the short game.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I'm on track to get in just over 40 rounds including 3 in FEB and a few Scramble tournaments. I also practice about twice a week from MAY-SEP.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Short Game Practice

By far the short game practice brings the best results, but I just cant find a practice area I like for the short game.
    Raceview/Falcon Ridge has a good short game practice area and driving range.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

i agree

went there a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I really liked their practice facility. Lots of room for practicing your putting, chipping, sand, etc.

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Raceview/Falcon Ridge has a good short game practice area and driving range.
    Thanks. I have to get out there.

Thread Information