100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, abusing/assaulting a human being is worse than killing a dog, and people frequently get much less than 2 years for those types of crimes. So, who do we value more, dogs or humans? Most would answer humans (except for PETA members).
    If you replace the word 'dog' with the word 'human' in any description of what he was convicted of, he would be doing a life term or facing execution. He is not facing more punishment as a dog abuser than he would be as a human abuser. Where are you getting that from?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Well, there was a suggestion that he should be getting 10 years for doing this to dogs. I'm just saying that that is completely ridiculous, as people get much shorter sentences than that for abusing and assaulting humans.

I take your point that if he did the exact same things to humans he would be getting a life sentence. I agree. I think the punishment he has received is about right (sorry if I didn't make that clear). To go any further, however, I think would be doing an injustice.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I certainly don't know about Vick in particular, but there is a correlation between cruelty to animals and a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder (APD). A 2002 article that appeared in The American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law bears that out: http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/reprint/30/2/257.pdf It would be unwise to assume that an individual who is cruel to animals will not demonstrate similar cruelty and aberrant behaviour in other aspects of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    ... The type of person that can treat an animal so adistically for pure entertainment is likely a psychopath anyway.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    It would be unwise to assume that an individual who is cruel to animals will not demonstrate similar cruelty and aberrant behaviour in other aspects of his life.
    However, it would also be unwise to assume that they WOULD demonstrate similarly cruel behaviour in other aspects of their lives.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Would you be happy if your daughter married someone like that?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Up until the point that he was nabbed alegedly doing these things, about 99% of the fathers in the USA would have paid to have their daughters (and probably some of their sons too! ) marry him !
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

You are both right and wrong. You're right that there is no 100% guarantee that this behaviour would necessarily manifest itself elsewhere. However, you're very wrong in assuming that the factor is irrelevant as an established indicator of possible significant problems. Combined with other specific personality traits, cruelty to animals should sound a warning to anyone willing to hear. As I said before, though, I know nothing of Mr. Vick so I would not necessarily draw those conclusions, but I would certainly keep my eye on him.

However, it would also be unwise to assume that they WOULD demonstrate similarly cruel behaviour in other aspects of their lives.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

And therein lies the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Up until the point that he was nabbed alegedly doing these things, about 99% of the fathers in the USA would have paid to have their daughters (and probably some of their sons too! ) marry him !

And therein lies the problem.
    We all love our heros and most of us will make up excuses for their indiscretions.

Are you taking typing lessons from Jarred? I think you meant "indiscretions." His crimes were more than a simple indiscretion. But you're right. Many would forgive even these sins, because he can play football. That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    We all love our heros and most of us will make up excuses for their discretions.

Are you taking typing lessons from Jarred? I think you meant "indiscretions." His crimes were more than a simple indiscretion. But you're right. Many would forgive even these sins, because he can play football. That's a shame.
    My fingers are going faster than my brain (as usual), yes, that is what I meant.

You are both right and wrong. You're right that there is no 100% guarantee that this behaviour would necessarily manifest itself elsewhere. However, you're very wrong in assuming that the factor is irrelevant as an established indicator of possible significant problems. Combined with other specific personality traits, cruelty to animals should sound a warning to anyone willing to hear. As I said before, though, I know nothing of Mr. Vick so I would not necessarily draw those conclusions, but I would certainly keep my eye on him.
    with that I do agree.

Well, first I'd be wondering how I ended up with a daughter.

I'm not saying Michael Vick is a great guy, I'm just saying that it is unfair to judge the whole based on one mistake.

When the mistake involves cuelty it's pretty a serious "mistake". One that could put his wife and family at serious risk.

I have two daughters and I assure you it would bother me.

When the mistake involves cuelty it's pretty a serious "mistake". One that could put his wife and family at serious risk.

I have two daughters and I assure you it would bother me.
    Again, not saying I would want my children marrying him. But at the same time, he's a human, and he made a mistake. People are blowing this way out of proportion, making judgements they aren't equipped to make.

When protecting your own, take the safe route. Not worth the risk.

I'd certainly be going on more than media reports, however. That, to me, is the key here. People are making judgements about things they have no inside knowledge about. Before passing judgement on the guy, I'd want to actually talk to him etc.

Hasn't he been convicted and sentenced? That's not just "media reports".

Yes, but there's more to the guy than the simple fact he's been convicted. I'd want to judge him on more than just that.

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    I'm very realistic, and then only would I agree that the laws for Human beings is way to lenient as well.

Animals are helpless with this,and only a cold heart would disagree. These aren't stupid animals, they have feelings, respond to affection or abuse, very much like humans. There is a strong bonding between Canines and humans.
    Be realistic pal, think of the poor dogs and all the needless suffering and death they incurred for someones entertainment. Its time Humans started acting like Humans. Lets not be worrying about Humans treating Animals like Humans! there is no pain or suffering in that!

Hey lets get on to Mulrooney this is depressing.
    RB

If people start getting 10 years for abusing animals, where is the scale going to start for human beings? Get realistic. Dogs aren't humans, and there's no way that we should be pretending they are.
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

Thread Information