100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    Same should apply to healthcare. If they get lung cancer due their smoking habits then they should play their bills not me… Why are we subsidizing smokers?

See the post above, the smokers are subsidizing their health care with taxes from smokes.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    there is no way this law will get passed. A car is a perosnal personal properly. You can't tell someone not to smoke in their house.. you can't tell them not to smoke in their car either.
    Unfortunately you are wrong. A city in Canada, I believe somewhere in New Brunswick has already passed a municipal by-law. I believe this was the stepping stone to our attempt at passing this Provincial law. Sure...a muni law is easier to pass, but again, you need to start somewhere.

I would be surprised if this law did not receive approval.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]
    I read an article on the weekend about a town on the East Coast that is working to pass a by law that will make it illegal to smoke anywhere outside of your homes in that town. No smoking in parks, golf courses, while walking down the streets. Or your own backyard while you have a beer and BBQ. Now that is a tough by law right there.
    In Ottawa, they were looking at banning smoking at all transit stations. I haven't heard the latest update.

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    A car is personal propertry that is true, however the legislature has the right to pass laws against actions you can do in yor personal property. no different than the seat belt law, it is virtually the ame thing.

anyway that has been all my 2 cents on this

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    sorry I didn't mean that it was a stupid law. I meant it was stupid that someone proposed it. I couldn't see someting like this being passed. Why limit it to the car, why not the house as well? If you have kids you should have to smoke outside... i just can't see them being able to pass something like this
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    In Ottawa, they were looking at banning smoking at all transit stations. I haven't heard the latest update.

http://www.octranspo.com/Whats_New/S...nsit_menuE.htm

see post this one is a little silly IMHO. No smoking 9 metres from a bus stop on a street? Waht if you are smoking and walking down the street past a bus stop? Can you even smoke outside on the sidewalks?
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    What do you think is easier to pass, the big all encompassing law, or these smaller ones? The smaller ones. I appreciate anything that helps, and THIS will help.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Yes. I am saying that.

Again, I doubt very much whether anyone will obey this law. And, unless they are going to set up 'smoke traps' then I can't see it being very well enforced.

And, more importantly, it is not the BEST way to limit harm to minors. I'm all for full measures, but can't stand these piddly, hypocritical half-measures. If you want to eliminate the EFFECTS of smoking, then ban the CAUSE. Which, of course, is cigarettes.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I disagree that it helps though. Because people pass laws like this, then sit on their laurels, claiming that they've done their part. It's just perpetuating the same old system of 'do the least I can possible do to gain brownie points with voters'. This is getting dangerously close to politics, but I just want to say this. We need some politicians who have the balls to say what they believe, and to do what they believe. We live in an era of soundbites and over-prepared speeches, where nobody in power has the guts to actually do what they think is right. Instead, they pass little laws like this that look good on their records and nothing else.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    http://www.octranspo.com/Whats_New/S...nsit_menuE.htm

see post this one is a little silly IMHO. No smoking 9 metres from a bus stop on a street? Waht if you are smoking and walking down the street past a bus stop? Can you even smoke outside on the sidewalks?

It's not a law, but here at UVic they have a new rule that you cannot smoke within ten metres of a building. I believe it is 'enforced' by Campus Security. But again, it's not enforced. The special ashtrays they've set up 10 metres from all the exits are filled with garbage, and are rarely used by smokers. I can't say I blame them for not standing in the pouring rain for 5 minutes in order to have a smoke. Again, it's a symbolic law that has done virtually nothing.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    What are the benefits for smoking?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    What are the benefits for smoking?
    The only benefit we smokers can see is that we underwrite a major portion of the Health Care system with the taxes we pay on cigarettes Aside from that, their aren't many benefits.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information