100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    You find a part time job at a golf course like I did. That makes the decision a lot easier.

You know I am 51. When the chance for me to retire came up I sat there and listened to what the experts had to say at the Pension Seminar.

Then I compared my 28 year pension to a 30 year pension of my friend sitting beside me.

Basically I was going to lose $190/month for life if I went 2 years early.

Then I weighed in the fact I was being offered a buyout, plus $21G after taxes toward a new vehicle.

I signed the dotted line two days later after talking to my investor, and my wife of course.

Now mind you the buyout money made my decision a lot easier. Had it not been there I don't know if I would have left FMC.

Having the part time job lined up made departing a little easier. 3 days a week kept me busy. Now that part time job has turned into a little bit of a bonus for me for next season.

Bob, it is a big decision, and one that only you can make, along with your wife of course. If you are set financially I would say hit the bricks a running!

I will admit I am finding it difficult to pass the days away now that I am not working at the course, or I can't golf. But I go walking, out to the golf store to visit the boys, spend time on the internet, etc. I have some painting to do in 08 and then it will be spring and I'll be back at the course April 3.

Make the wise decision Bob, and as I said only you know if you are ready. This time off might help you decide that.
    I hear what you are saying Rick. I am not paying much attention to the so called 'experts' though. I am not a materialistic person, don't need everything and don't need the best of everything. Give me the basics and I am happy. I am wavering towards moving on. I have a very stressful job that is impossible to leave at the office. I am available 7/24 - 365 by electronic leash and that is starting to wear thin on my nerves.

I will give it a some serious thought over the next couple of months and see how I feel when in mid -January, I am officially in a position to take early retirement. Right now, I find this has just come all too quickly and I am not willing to let go of the 'Ottawas Oldest Teenager' monicer

Thanks for the input Rick.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Hey Bob, Go for it. I've been retired now for five years and don't regret one day of it. People ask me what I do and I just say whatever I want whenever I want and oh ya I play lots and lots of golf. I head away for some time during the winter and more golf and sun. I know that part won't be available for a while as your wife is still working. I've got a couple of friends that just won't leave and aren't really happy with their job but I know for sure my 55th birthday present of retirement was one of my best days. You have to be mentally ready to leave and it sounds like you're pretty well there. Good luck with the decision and also with the operation.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Bob if I were you I would already have the early retirement paperwork filled out and dated for Jan 18.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Bob if I were you I would already have the early retirement paperwork filled out and dated for Jan 18.
    I have already been in contact with HR and have run everything by them. They came back with all the numbers and possibilities by future dates up to 24 months for full retirement.

If I wanted to play the system, I could actually go on sick leave for the entire time (less 17 days) and be paid at 100% but that just isn't me. In my 28 years working for them, this is my first significant sick leave. I have only taken 6 sick days in the last 10 years.

As soon as I make a decision it is a simple phone call and a few signatures

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    If I wanted to play the system, I could actually go on sick leave for the entire time (less 17 days) and be paid at 100% but that just isn't me. In my 28 years working for them, this is my first significant sick leave. I have only taken 6 sick days in the last 10 years.
    While I think your sentiment is honourable....go for it. It sounds like you have earned those sick days and then some....so enjoy them. No use letting them sit around.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    While I think your sentiment is honourable....go for it. It sounds like you have earned those sick days and then some....so enjoy them. No use letting them sit around.
    LOL no can do, the only thing I have control over in life is my honor, and no one is going to ruin that, not even me

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I hear you loud and clear--my sister-in-law is retiring this August after 36 years---she is 55 and has taken 15 maternity days 34 years ago and not one sick day since. She also has over 100 holidays left and has decided to work between Xmas and New years so as not to let anyone down during the Xmas season. She is a fine lady; I am afraid we are coming to the end of an era of loyalty. You are both to be commended and thank god for a pension I sure hope you get to use it all
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I hear you loud and clear--my sister-in-law is retiring this August after 36 years---she is 55 and has taken 15 maternity days 34 years ago and not one sick day since. She also has over 100 holidays left and has decided to work between Xmas and New years so as not to let anyone down during the Xmas season. She is a fine lady; I am afraid we are coming to the end of an era of loyalty. You are both to be commended and thank god for a pension I sure hope you get to use it all
    Not sure I can agree entirely with your statement about the end of an era Brian.... there are a couple of young coworkers that have an amazing sense of loyalty at work.... they are few and far between these days, but I assure you it does still exist and I am damned proud that they work for me becuase yes, it is getting more rare. Hopefully they can instill that loyalty in some of their coworkers with their ethical behavior.

Whats wrong with this picture, when you have to getup and get ready for work, you can't drag your sorry ass out of bed. When you know you don't have to you go to bed well after midnight and you are wide awake at 4:30 in the freeking morning surfing the net!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    LOL You sound like me!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    At least you can now have your afternoon nap without the boss getting upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    LOL You sound like me!
    Now if I only had your 'Elf' dancing moves

Hey Bob --if you wake up tomorow at 4:30 give me a call--I need a partner to play billiards. (see I was careful writing this one) I wonder.

2 Iron GolferChick is on a distinguished road GolferChick's Avatar
    Not sure I can agree entirely with your statement about the end of an era Brian.... there are a couple of young coworkers that have an amazing sense of loyalty at work.... they are few and far between these days, but I assure you it does still exist and I am damned proud that they work for me becuase yes, it is getting more rare. Hopefully they can instill that loyalty in some of their coworkers with their ethical behavior.
    Oh stop it now ... I know you're talking about me!

Quote Originally Posted by GolferChick View Post

But the question is, Can you?

I'm surprised your not weighing in on the 'Go For It' camp! You have been trying to push me out the door for a while now!

2 Iron GolferChick is on a distinguished road GolferChick's Avatar
    I'm surprised your not weighing in on the 'Go For It' camp! You have been trying to push me out the door for a while now!
    I would never do that... Well I am getting used to the new title and closed office...

I would never do that... Well I am getting used to the new title and closed office...
    Somehow, I had a feeling you would enjoy the assignment..... Well enjoy it, who knows what the future brings

Hey Bob --if you wake up tomorow at 4:30 give me a call--I need a partner to play billiards. (see I was careful writing this one) I wonder.
    Hey Brian, where were you at 4:15 this morning? I had to tip toe around the forum and I didn't dare post anything in case the noise woke Dan up!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I appreciate that Bob. I slept in until 4:45
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I appreciate that Bob. I slept in until 4:45
    Some people are lucky living the life of luxury!

OK--tomorrow morning--I'll leave the computer on. I don't usually start it that early as it comes on with a "bang". Diane would be looking for a club to kill me. Hey is the dome open at that time? So what are you doing with all that spare time?

OK--tomorrow morning--I'll leave the computer on. I don't usually start it that early as it comes on with a "bang". Diane would be looking for a club to kill me. Hey is the dome open at that time? So what are you doing with all that spare time?
    Its time to replace the Commodore 64 my friend.... It was 25 years old as of last week.

What am I doing with me spare time? stressing, panicking, sleeping during the day cause I can't sleep at night, shoveling the snow, finishing up christmas shopping, doing the freeking pre-surgery physiotherapy twice a day ... you know, all the standard stuff that you retired guys do

^^^^^^^ Gee sounds just like home----that's why I keep saying I should go bsck to work so I will have time to finish everything

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road
    Retired 3 years as of December 15th and currently enjoying life in Florida for the winter.
    Get out as soon as you can, adjust your life style, have fun!
    Remember Life is to Short!

check out my Florida Winter Blog site
    http://ormondbeachwinter.blogspot.com/search?q=

Quote Originally Posted by golfmajic View Post
    Retired 3 years as of December 15th and currently enjoying life in Florida for the winter.
    Get out as soon as you can, adjust your life style, have fun!
    Remember Life is to Short!

check out my Florida Winter Blog site
    http://ormondbeachwinter.blogspot.com/search?q=
    After yesterday I just may hunt you down and invite myself down for a few weeks

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road
    After yesterday I just may hunt you down and invite myself down for a few weeks
    I just had a buddy down for 4 weeks, we had fun but I was very happy to get my space back. Weeks and weeks is way to long!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Thanks Mark!

If I retire, Bugsy will kill me. She is many many years from retirement and if she has to work, I am sure I have to work.... but hey, Home Depot looks like a great place to meet people and since I am in the Client Service world (albeit inforation technology), it would be a good fit for me.... I seem to be talking myself into it
    Have you considered a new career as a Walmart Greeter??

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Have you considered a new career as a Walmart Greeter??
    How is this?

'Welcome to Wal-Mart. Please excuse the dust during our construction that will make your shopping experience here even better. Oh what a lovely little boy you have madam, have a beautiful shopping day at Wal-Mart'

Birdie Sensgirl is on a distinguished road Sensgirl's Avatar
    How is this?

'Welcome to Wal-Mart. Please excuse the dust during our construction that will make your shopping experience here even better. Oh what a lovely little boy you have madam, have a beautiful shopping day at Wal-Mart'
    OMG that is sooo not you. I so know what you would be mumbling underneath your breath

Thread Information