CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

New Idling Control By-law!

All right. Just Not getting my weekly dose of grass destruction

Come January the new Idling Control By-law will be implemented.

http://ottawa.ca/city_services/envir..._bylaw_en.html

I can just see it. You get pulled over and the cop or the ticketmaster agent takes 15 minutes to write up the ticket and meanwhile their car is iddling
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    That one's a little wacky. I love the new proposed smoking in the car law!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I don't really think they should be making it law that has to be enforced at the moment. They really should have done a public awareness campaign to see how that works first.

Well I can tell you that there's no way I'm putting my daughter in a car that hasn't been warmed up when it's -30 outside. I'll idle for 10 minutes to provide warmth for my family, no matter what the law is.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I really love the following;

"Vehicles are prohibited from idling more than three minutes in a given 60-minute period when the temperature is between 5°C and 27°C, including the humidex calculation and wind chill value."

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how this information is readily available when you are ummm... DRIVING A CAR? I'm also wondering if the by-law officers are going to be sporting bright new stop-watches?

Driving on the 417 or anywhere downtown will basically be a by-law infraction between 07:00-09:30 and 15:00-17:30.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You will be happy to hear that the by-law does not prohibit you from idling your car in extreme weather conditions.

The prohibition in s. 2 reads as follows:

"No person shall cause or permit a vehicle to idle for more than three (3) consecutive minutes in a sixty (60) minute period."

However, s. 3(i) saves you:

Section 2 shall not apply to,

(i) occupied vehicles when the temperature outside the vehicle is greater than twenty-seven degrees Celsius (27°C) including the humidex calculation or less than five degrees Celsius (5°C) including the windchill value as determined by the Environment Canada temperature readings; ..."

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Well I can tell you that there's no way I'm putting my daughter in a car that hasn't been warmed up when it's -30 outside. I'll idle for 10 minutes to provide warmth for my family, no matter what the law is.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I can see them now parked at all the Timmies Drive throughs, making extra cash for their donaughts
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    "Vehicles are prohibited from idling more than three minutes in a given 60-minute period when the temperature is between 5°C and 27°C, including the humidex calculation and wind chill value."

Driving on the 417 or anywhere downtown will basically be a by-law infraction between 07:00-09:30 and 15:00-17:30.
    Idling in traffic is exempt. Hot or cold days are exempt. This is not a terrible inconvenience. I don't think it needs to be a law though.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Can I start a new thread about the smoking one, or is that too political Dan? Let me know.

Discussing law is not a problem.

Can I start a new thread about the smoking one, or is that too political Dan? Let me know.
    How does that bother you Donny?

Well I can tell you that there's no way I'm putting my daughter in a car that hasn't been warmed up when it's -30 outside. I'll idle for 10 minutes to provide warmth for my family, no matter what the law is

Of course you shouldn't. There are plenty of other alternatives though such as a block heater,car heater on a timer, seat warmer etc...
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Same here. This law is mornic. Idling cars don't make a lick of difference in the big scheme of things.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Same here. This law is mornic. Idling cars don't make a lick of difference in the big scheme of things.
    And there it is.....

This is the thinking that has gotten us to where we are now. A little here a little there makes no difference but IT does. It's too bad we need a law to tell people not to leave there cars idling....personally I think remote starters should be banned.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    For every litre of gasoline used, the average car produces about 2.4 kilograms of carbon dioxide (CO2), the principal greenhouse gas. This is unavoidable with today's internal combustion engines. But we can avoid producing unnecessary greenhouse gas emissions by reducing or eliminating wasteful vehicle idling.

Emissions from idling vehicles are needless and can be easily prevented – all it takes is the turn of a key.

If every driver of a light-duty vehicle in Canada avoided idling for just five minutes a day, we would prevent more than 1 million tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere each year. That would represent a huge contribution to Canada's climate change efforts.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Unbeilevable, that kind of archaic thinking still exists on a topic like this. I'm with you Shark, I'm all for this law and anyone who complains about something like this needs to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    There are plenty of other alternatives though such as a block heater,car heater on a timer, seat warmer etc...
    As already posted a few times it's OK to idle when it's cold (+5c or lower).

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I would think that 3 minutes is plenty of time to heal/cool a car in the temperature ranges allowed. I'm guessing it will only be applied in obvious, extreme cases anyway - sort of like how the "real" speed limit is about 15-20 kph over the posted speed limit.

Is there an exemption for buses and taxis? Some of those drivers never turn the ignition off.

3 Wood nhwott5 is on a distinguished road
    does anyone here read the previous posts? it is clear, when it is cold, the law will not apply. it applies between temp of 5 degreea and 27degrees. why woudl you need to idle your car when it is 15 degrees oupt? that is just laziness, it is not for cold, or heat, just because you want to to, and good, fine them.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    anyone who complains about something like this needs to wake up.
    I knew I would be beaten down for making that comment, but I stand by it. Rather than arguing with everyone who is on the 'fight global warming' bandwagon, and since I'm not a scientist, I'll just provide the following:

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/ha4Po...arming-Swindle

http://www.friendsofscience.org/

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...313966,00.html
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hmmm... a conspiracy theory video.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I knew I would be beaten down for making that comment, but I stand by it. Rather than arguing with everyone who is on the 'fight global warming' bandwagon, and since I'm not a scientist, I'll just provide the following:

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/ha4Po...arming-Swindle

http://www.friendsofscience.org/

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...313966,00.html
    There are as many articles and videos that say different. The fact is that CO2 and any other pollutants are not normal. Anything we can do to minimize pollutions is a plus. Don’t you agree?

Now we are all aware that planet earth is in constant evolution. This very city was under a huge glacier millions of years ago. The problem we are facing is the increased speed the climate is changing. Can they really prove the CO2 is speeding up the process? I don’t really care but I do care about minimizing pollution. Not idling your car for more then one or two minutes is a very small gesture that could make a very big difference in the long run. Aren’t your kids or future grand kid worth the effort?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Global warming or not pollution is unclean air. We should limit it as much as possible. People often say there is not much individuals can do, but there is... and it's easy.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 12-10-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    As already posted a few times it's OK to idle when it's cold (+5c or lower).
    I know. Sorry if I was misquoted but what I meant applies to morning cranks. You can easily plug your car's block heater with a timer. Not only will it be easier on your engine but your car will warm up a loft faster therefore you won't have to let ir run for 20 minutes to get it to be comfortable. I personally turn my car off in drive throughs and I also got me a seat warmer to warm up my big derriere
    Mahatma Gandhi

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Living in a small city has advantages. I rarely idle except at stop lights. which is not very often.

As for cold weather. I went to work in the winter for 35 years and not very often did I go out and start my car and let it idle before I left for work.

If you want to get some heat ASAP in the morning, use a block heater, it helps. Or better yet, there used to be a product on the market that you installed into your heater hose. It circulated the fluid and heated it up. A friend of mine had one installed and said it worked great, he had heat within a minute or so after starting his truck.

As for AC, I hardly use mine. I still prefer to drive with the window down.

Three minutes of idle time is a lot of time when you think about it.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva's Irons View Post
    Before watching it I dismissed it as a conspiracy theory documentary. I believe they landed on the moon and I don't I don't think the footage of the alien autopsy is real. I have to admit that after watching this I have some questions about global warming.

Cleaner air and less wasted resources are a good thing so I am still very much in favour of the anti-idling bylaw.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    I can see them now parked at all the Timmies Drive throughs, making extra cash for their donaughts
    Understand that idling at drivethrus is also excempt from the by-law.
    Apparently the City's reasoning is that cars do not idle more than 3 minutes at a drivethru...............

I guess they have never sat in a Timmies Drivethru...............

So I guess the by-law enforcement officers will be equipped with stop-watches and thermometers.

Police constantly tell the public to avoid talking on the cell phone while driving as it is dangerous. However, can just see the bylaw officer running over to ticket a motorist who is sitting in a parking lot or over by the side of the road with the car running during a 5 minute phone call and the temperature is 26 C outside.

I will be very suprised if this bylaw is enforced..............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

I think the world has much bigger problems that threaten our future then vehicles idling.

I doubt many people actually idle under normal conditions.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I doubt many people actually idle under normal conditions.
    Exactly !! If I am not sitting in traffic and its between 5 C and 27 C, why the heck would I want to waste my gas. The cost of gas which is anticipated to hit $1.50 per litre this coming summer (2008) is incentive enough to turn the car off when not required.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Making this a no brainer.

Good point too, about the gas cost involved. The only reason I think sane people idle is for their kids in extreme conditions.

Thread Information