100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Mulligan Man is on a distinguished road

Relief - which club

Gary, when taking relief the rules refer to one or two club lengths, but I cannot find any reference to which club is to be used. Are there any occasions when a specific club (i.e. the one you will most likely take your next shot with) needs to be used?

alice
    A player has the choice which club he wants to use to take his relief. The driver is used almost 100 % of the time because it is the longest club in the bag. Sometimes when taking relief you want as much distance you can get.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    When taking relief under any Rule, the actual area within which you are allowed to drop (whether this is one or two clubs) can be determined using any club.

However, when determining your nearest point of relief (such as when you have interence from a carthpath), you determine the nearest point of relief using the club with which you expect to play your next stroke.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I could have sworn that I've seen PGA players use a driver to determine relief from a cart path, but it was certainly not the club required for the stroke.

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by em69
    I could have sworn that I've seen PGA players use a driver to determine relief from a cart path, but it was certainly not the club required for the stroke.
    If you read previous threads on this topic. You will note that taking relief is a two step process. The first step is determining closest point of relief which requires using the club you would hit with. The second step (the one usually shown) involves determining the drop zone - 1 club length from nearest point of relief (see step one) can be done with any club.

Thread Information