100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BCS Bowl Games

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

BCS Bowl Games

Did anyone else watch the selection show? Any thoughts? Should there have been any changes?

Personally I don't like the fact the BCS computer program puts so much weight on "losing today". A team with two losses could still make it to a championship game, but a team with 1 loss, because it came so late in the year, could be out. I think they need to tweak the system so more yet.

BCS National Championship game is LSU vs Ohio State.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Did anyone else watch the selection show? Any thoughts? Should there have been any changes?

Personally I don't like the fact the BCS computer program puts so much weight on "losing today". A team with two losses could still make it to a championship game, but a team with 1 loss, because it came so late in the year, could be out. I think they need to tweak the system so more yet.

BCS National Championship game is LSU vs Ohio State.
    The only tweaking that would work would be a playoff, and even a +1 game would have been full of controversy as to which 4 got in this year. I have no quarrel with the championship game, they're both conference champs. I would have hated to see a team like Kansas or Georgia get in when neither even made their conference championship games. I think the only team with an argument is Oklahoma, but LSU beat a lot more good teams this year.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    The only tweaking that would work would be a playoff, and even a +1 game would have been full of controversy as to which 4 got in this year. I have no quarrel with the championship game, they're both conference champs. I would have hated to see a team like Kansas or Georgia get in when neither even made their conference championship games. I think the only team with an argument is Oklahoma, but LSU beat a lot more good teams this year.

I was watching the show tonight and the panel pointed out that Kansas (which is a 1 loss team) had the 106th ranked of 119 strength of schedule, whereas Missouri (granted they lost last night) was much higher but they were overlooked for a bowl berth. I just don't understand it, and I'd really like to see them make it a playoff. Only way I believe you'll get a true number one. Most years there is always a few teams that have a legitimate claim to being the national champ, but because they weren't in the game they get bypassed. It's not perfect, but it is better than what it used to be.

I personally just have a problem with 2 loss teams being in a championship game when there are undefeated and 1 loss teams out there.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I think that any teams in a national championship game should have actually won their own conference. That was the reason they jumped Florida ahead of Michigan last year, and it was the right decision. As for which at-large teams get picked for other BCS bowls, that just comes down to money. Whoever the bowl committee thinks will bring the most fans is who is going to be picked.

You'd rather Kansas or Hawaii (the only other 1 loss or undefeated teams) in the Championship game? Instead of LSU? Not me, those teams are no where near the same class.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I think that any teams in a national championship game should have actually won their own conference. That was the reason they jumped Florida ahead of Michigan last year, and it was the right decision. As for which at-large teams get picked for other BCS bowls, that just comes down to money. Whoever the bowl committee thinks will bring the most fans is who is going to be picked.

You'd rather Kansas or Hawaii (the only other 1 loss or undefeated teams) in the Championship game? Instead of LSU? Not me, those teams are no where near the same class.

True, but if you want a good 2 loss team then, the Sooners should be there ahead of LSU in my opinion. But like the Georgia coach said, to be in the title game, winning your conference is not a prerequisite. If the BCS made that mandatory it would eliminate alot of the controversy, when there actually is some. But with the averages of the BCS, Coach's poll and writer's poll you'll never get a consensus top two picks unless two real strong teams go undefeated or 1 loss.

And I think Hawaii will suprise their opponent (Georgia I believe) in the Sugar Bowl (I think it's the Sugar Bowl).

Have you seen a Hawaii game? They suck! And of course Mark Richt is going to say that, and if Georgia won the SEC and LSU made it in, he'd be saying the opposite. lol As I said, Oklahoma is the only one with an argument against LSU, and if you compare the teams they lost to, LSU lost to better teams in closer games. LSU also beat better teams than Oklahoma. I'm fine with either, but I think LSU is a much better team.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The whole BCS system is fundamentally broken because of the politics and big money associated with the conference system.

What would fix the system is if they established a real divisional system where the Div 1 teams (say 24) were forced to play a minimum number of Div 1 teams (say 8) on their schedule and the remaining against div 2. The top Div 1 teams play in the bowl games, the bottom 4 get dropped to div 2 for the next season and the top 4 div 2 teams move up.

Of course this will never happen but it would make the rankings and bowl games more relevant.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    What I don't like is that Ohio State sits at home during last week-end while some of the top team are playing in a conference championship. If that game didn't count neither LSU or OSU would be there.

LSU is (11-2) and OSU is (11-1). Why does the Big Ten doesn't have a championship game. If they would have had a game with Illinois vs OSU the loser wouldn't be playing in a highly rated Bowl.

I just don't think it is fair.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I've said this for ages. Shorten the reg. season by 3 games. have a bracket tourney to determine the championship.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm anxious to see Colt Brennan play Georgia's defense. After the game, we'll see where he should be drafted.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Oh, and if one person tells me he's a 'system quarterback', I'm going to canada 411 them, drive to his house, knock on the door, and kick him in the rear end when he answers.
    Every QB plays in his team's offensive system. You'd be a dumb coach not to suit it to your QB's strengths.

yeah but donny he is a system quarterback...
    willy

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Hey Willy, you might feel that you are safe because of a little bit of snow but if I would be you I wouldn't answer the door for awhile....

Knock, knock, knock,......Donny.... is that you......

he doesn't know where I live in toronto, I'm not listed in the phone book.. best of luck to him

PS he is a system QB
    willy

ARRRRRRRRRRRRG!

He'll go in the 2nd round of the draft I believe.

Thread Information