CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sand Wedge Pacman is on a distinguished road

Am I at a disadvantage by using 20 year old Ping Eye 2 clubs??

I was playing golf today as a single, and was joined up with another group of 3 players. A couple of the other players were giving me a hard time about playing with "20 year old golf clubs that were never any good anyways". They were playing with some whizzy Callaway clubs that looked expensive, and kept saying that I was at a disadvantage for using clubs with old technology and that I'd be better off with a set of $200 Canadian Tire clubs than my current ones.

I'm playing with Ping Eye 2 Green dots, 2-pw. These clubs could very well be 20 years old. My uncle bought them brand new, played 3 rounds of golf with them, and then decided that he didn't like the game. They stayed in his basement, untouched, until he gave them to me last year.

I took the clubs to a local shop that sells Pings, and they did a free fitment for me, and determined that blue dots were the correct color code for me. They sent them off to Ping and charged me $50 to have them adjusted. I had the grips replaced with new ones for $50 at the same time, so I'm only into them for $100. These clubs look brand new, but now these other players have got me wondering if I'm better off with something else.

I compared my clubs with some other expensive new clubs at the Pro Shop after my round today, and besides the asthetics, they didn't look much different than the new Ping Eye 3+. The shape of the head, and the depth of the cavity seemed very close, and the difference between the two probably wouldn't be exploited by a player who is just learning the game like myself.

Am I going to notice a difference between my old Pings vs a set of new low end clubs in the $200-$300 price range?? How about the $500-$700 price range?

I'm a little dissapointed, as I was hoping to learn to play with these clubs for 3-5 years before I had to replace them.

My Driver and woods are fairly new, so I'm not really concerned about them.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    James Dixon
    jdixon@shaw.ca

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman
    Am I going to notice a difference between my old Pings vs a set of new low end clubs in the $200-$300 price range?? How about the $500-$700 price range?
    I'm sure you'll get much better technical responses from some of the others, but more info is probably needed. Most importantly, how good a golfer are you? If your swing speed and your technical abilities are up there, technology may benefit you. For the amateur, other than new woods, I don't think so...you should make sure the clubs are best suited for YOU though, and it means testing them and compare against new ones (borrow from Chuck Brownes) to see which ones are more "forgiving". I know many of my friends went out and bought the best in their budget range, without testing them out. I know I can hit my ping knock-offs much more easily than most MacGregor sets.

Does this include wood-woods? I know the metal/wood technology is far advanced in the last 20 years. As far as irons, I'm not so sure thats the point.

I'm definatly not a good golfer. I've been playing for 1 year, and consistantly shoot 105-110. I have shot a 97 and a round of 88, but those were very lucky days.

The woods I have are not the wooden woods, but 5 year old Adams Tight Lies, which seem to be fine.

I'm more concerned about the 20 year old irons I'm using.

Regards
    Pacman

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

bah....

Don't worry about what other people say. By the sounds of it, you've got a cavity back type iron that should have some level of forgiveness. It might not be as shiny as new clubs, but in my opinion, if you gave those clubs to anyone with a decent swing, they could probably toast most people with those clubs. Lesson of the day: The clubs help, but it's the swing that matters the most. When you feel comfortable with your swing and develop a taste for clubs, then it might be time to go to the next level. Save your money and invest in lessons/the golf channel. It'll do you better. And on top of that.. next time someone decides to talk smack about your clubs, imagine how they'd feel once you stick it to 'em and their new expensive set with your set of 'inferior' clubs. Now that's golf. Don't become one of those people with a $3000 set that shoots regularly aver 110. I hate that. If you're a beginner, between a 50 dollar set and a 3000 dollar set, it won't make very much difference to your score. But what do i know.

Cheers,
    Yun

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

excellent clubs

Pacman. Are the following the ones you're using?
    http://www.ironfinder.com/modelshaft...p?ModelNbr=287
    If so I wouldn't worry about what other people think.If you ever decide to get rid of them let me know. A lot of people are still using them and they are still excellent clubs. As a matter of fact check out the following thread. http://www.ottawagolf.com/forum/show...ight=criterion This particular golfer is looking for irons that are 20 years old.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 09-13-2003 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman
    I'm definatly not a good golfer.
    Well hang on to them and wait and see. Meanwhile, when your friends rib you, ask them if you can try their clubs at the range. If you like them, put them on a wish list and keep your eyes on them WHILE you get better with your clubs. If the grips are replaced, the height is right, and you can make some contact, don't worry about it. I see a lot of new golfers get sets from relatives and they don't get the grips (worn and slippery) replaced: THATS a mistake. YOU're doing fine. If you are going to sell them, price them...old clubs might gain value.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Thumbs up Hang on to those sticks

Pacman. If those are definitely Eye 2's, IMO you're holding on to the best clubs that Ping has ever produced. Let those other guys blow their money on the "latest thing". Eye 2's were 10 years ahead of their time.

You may want to have a look at having some shafts installed that are right for your game right now. You can always change them again later as you improve.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Andre,

THey are not the ones that you posted a picture of, they actually look like this......http://www.ironfinder.com/modelshaft...p?ModelNbr=290 According to the above website, mine are a bit newer.

One interesting thing according to the above website, is that they kept producing this Eye 2 model until 1998!!. Could this be a mistake? I can't see a company making the same club for 15 years.

If they offer no real advantage than a newer iron, I'm more than happy to continue using these clubs. I'm not trying to look good on the course by using whizzy equipment, but trying to improve my game.

Regards,
    Pacman

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    The reason they produced them until 1998 is because they're arguably the most popular cavity back iron of all time.

You own a very solid and desirable set of irons. A great set to grow your game with.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

You own a very solid and desirable set of irons. A great set to grow your game with. [/QUOTE]
    $59.95 USD each.
    Amen. BTW where is BUSHWOOD CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Amen. BTW where is BUSHWOOD CC?
    Thanks for the support Andre.

Bushwood CC is the golf club in Caddyshack.

alice
    Pacman,
    When I was growing up and learning this wonderful game as a kid I put together a set of clubs from the various rental sets at the pro shop. I was working on the driving range so this made it possible. My next set was a used set of Wilson Staff's that belonged to a coworker. I never got a brand new set of irons until I was 18.

Many of the kids I was playing against on the Junior Golf Tour in the Vancouver area used Ping Irons. They didn't have quite as many different colours back then, but you could still get them suited to your swing when you ordered them. Ping clubs were some of the best ever made. I think the main difference is that newer clubs tend to be more forgiving than those older clubs that you have or the antique ones that I have.

No matter which clubs you do use, if you can learn to hit the middle of the clubface / sweetspot on every swing you're well on your way to lowering your scores.

By the way, I still use those new irons I got when I was 18. They are Taylor Made Tour Preferred Blades. I've been thinking about upgrading but it's hard to part with clubs that I can still break 80 with.

Use the clubs and enjoy the game.

Happy golfing.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Thanks for the support Andre.

Bushwood CC is the golf club in Caddyshack.
    LobWedge. Believe or not I have actually never seen Caddyshack. So much for asking questions.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    You are certainly playing with better quality, more forgiving clubs, than most relative beginners have, so they will not prevent you from learning a good swing, and I would definitely not part with them.

As your heads are investment cast, they tend to feel "harsh," and because of that it is more difficult to discern the different feel between a good shot and a poorer one. Being in the process of learning a golf swing, the wonderful feel of centre of face contact may not be important to you now, but as you become better, you may learn that it is one golf's more delightful experiences. So, in time you may want to consider a head with a softer metal(431 stainless instead of the 17-4 of these Pings) or you may want to go all the way to a forged cavity back head. On the market there are heads that actually have a forged face and a cast back, as well. They feel great.

The older Ping irons tended to be shafted with stiffer than required shafts, although what you have may be just fine for your swing at the present. Very often older clubs are rusting from the inside so there is an increased chance of breakage and potential danger to you. Replacing the shafts with a little softer flex and matched to each other better, is something you may want to consider in the future.

Lob Wedge john doe is on a distinguished road
    Pacman

I have never hit a Ping golf club in my life but I have hit alot of different clubs and have played for about 30 years (including working at courses for about 8).

Your Ping irons may be 20 years old but so what. They were top of the line clubs then and are still more than acceptable. You can update the grips and shafts as required.

If somebody is telling you that you need a new set of Callaway's to play golf, that actually says more about their understanding of golf than anything else. As for the suggestion that you wold be better off with a $200 set from CT, if you believe that please allow me to by a $200 set from CT and I will swap you even up. Again, that suggestion says more about th person's knowledge of golf than anything else.

Those Pings will take you as far as you want to go. If/when you arrive at the point where you are consistently shooting low 80s golf (or better), maybe an update will be required to a specific club that may be better suited to your specific swing.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Those sticks are way better than 90% of people start playing with. They will be great. I think that you certainly could not replace what you have for under $600 off the rack, and that would be a total waste of $600.

Some well meaning golfers can easily spend 4 hours bragging on their great equipment and spreading "Know how" to an beginner. Just smile and nod.

Quote Originally Posted by natgolfer

Very often older clubs are rusting from the inside so there is an increased chance of breakage and potential danger to you. Replacing the shafts with a little softer flex and matched to each other better, is something you may want to consider in the future.
    I would not worry about breakage since these clubs have only been used 3 times by your uncle.Since we are on the topic 304 stainless steel is also a very soft feeling material and also bendable up to 3 degrees. Blades are nice when you hit them dead centre but not so nice when you're a bit off(ouch).

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I believe Steve Karam, our Ottawa Golf Tour coordinator and runner-up for last year's championship, use Ping Eye 2s and swears they will never leave his bag. Last I heard his handicap was around 10-12, and he seemed to be playing just fine with them. I'm surprised he has weighed in on this one yet.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Believe or not I have actually never seen Caddyshack.
    Feel ashamed, deeply ashamed.

alice
    Andre,
    It's never to late for a great laugh. Chevy Chase and Bill Murray are hilarious.

Putter el putter is on a distinguished road

Wink

LobWedge. Believe or not I have actually never seen Caddyshack. So much for asking questions.
    arial black I also have a set of Ping I 2's. I have been a golf warrior for over 30 years. I bought my set of clubs from Chuck Brown himself many years ago. I have never been dissatisfied with my clubs. My swing is a whole different issue.Once your HDCP is between 0 to 5 you could start thinking of changing your shafts .... el putter

Did I not tell him to keep the clubs?

Thanks for the responses on this thread. After reading everybody's thoughts, I'm definatly going to keep the clubs, and learn how to play with them.

I played yesterday, again as a single, and the group of 3 that I joined up with all had fancy new expensive clubs. As luck would have it, they all saw mine and kept telling me how they used to play the Eye 2 irons, and how they wish they had never switched to new ones, as they were the best clubs Ping has ever made. One of them even mentioned how Ping will still make the Eye 2's on request, and that he was thinking of ordering a set.

To tops things off, I was helping my girlfriend's parents move some furniture in their basement last night, and her father came accross a set of Ping ISI-K irons(3-pw). He said he played about 10 rounds with them, but then went back to an old set of Hogan blades. He then said,"you can have them if you like, as I'm never going to use them".

These have a much bigger head than my eye 2 irons, and the shaft is not as stiff as on my eye 2's. It's raining right now in Calgary, but if it clears up, I'll take then to the driving range to see how they are.

Regards,
    Pacman

How many of those relatives do you have?

To tops things off, I was helping my girlfriend's parents move some furniture in their basement last night, and her father came accross a set of Ping ISI-K irons(3-pw). He said he played about 10 rounds with them, but then went back to an old set of Hogan blades. He then said,"you can have them if you like, as I'm never going to use them".

alice
    When it rains it pours, eh?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking Gppd Decision

Pacman
    Good decision to keep them.

el tigre
    I'm surprised he has weighed in on this one yet.
    There's a reason I didnt post anything till now. I don'd usually come into the equipment section on the forum, and just noticed the heading on Ping Eye2's.

I bought mine brand new in 1993 and will continue using them for much much longer. They suit me really well. When I got them I was an 16-18 handicap, and now I'm a solid 10, with low round of 71 (once).

I agree with Lob Wedge, the are the best Ping irons EVER made. They are great forgiving clubs with great feel and look. (nothing worse than looking at a club you cant bear to look at). They came back to the same similar desing with the I3's.

Bottom line Pacman.............. you had them lie fitted so go see if the shafts are suited for your swing, then play with them and enjoy the game.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Ok, now I'm not sure what to think..........

I have just been comparing the two sets of irons I have (Eye 2's and ISI-K).

I compared the irons from the 2 sets, and the Eye 2 irons are a good 1.5 - 2 inches longer than the comparable iron in the ISI-K set!!! The 5 iron in my Eye 2 set is the same length as the 3 iron in my ISI-K set.

Also, we just compared both sets of irons with my friends Taylor Made RAC irons, and his are the same length as my ISI-K's. My uncle is quite tall 6'4, so could these have been made especially long for him??

Perhaps this is why I'm having a difficult time hitting the longer irons in the Eye 2 set. Can these shafts be shortened? I just had the grip replaced last week (too bad I didn't know about it then). Can they be shortened without having to buy all new grips??

Regards,
    Pacman

grips

Can they be shortened without having to buy all new grips??

Yes. But before you do go and hit them while choking the grip.

8 Iron Pops is on a distinguished road Pops's Avatar

Am I at a disadvantage by using 20 year old Ping Eye 2 clubs??

Pacman,
    Here's a link that shows the playability factor for almost every club sold or made. I think you will see that the Ping Eye 2 rate very high on the scale. This formula, I have read, is currently being looked at by some of the major manufacturers as a way of rating their clubs.

http://www.golfworks.com/article_dis...p?articleid=99

Being a little on the older side doesn't necessarily mean no good.
    "The golf swing is like sex. You can't be thinking about the mechanics of the act while you are performing." Dave Hill

Putter ColoDuffer is on a distinguished road
    What a great thread - sorry (but not sorry) to revive after a few dormant years!

I play w/ a set of ping eye 2's that i purchased on eBay a few years ago. Honestly, I have around 5 iron sets in my basement, and NONE of them outperform my 30+ year old pings. In addition, i'll run across the street from my office to golf galaxy and blast many used sets of various irons across manufacturers and observe quantifiable metrics on their GC2 launch monitors. Mizuno forged, titleist AP's, ping blades are all very solid - but i really can't stomach 1k+ to basically get very little perceived advantages.

In addition, my game is improving, and my ping eye 2's are coming along for the ride. Started a few years ago hitting ~100 strokes/round, now I shot my best round, a 77, 2 weeks ago. I just threw some nice GP align grips on them for treating me so well, after being scrubbed and polished, these clubs are mint have another 30+ years in them, EASY!

Also, I'll come across an article or two on PGA pros rocking the ping eye's as well. Mickelson did to make a point on some archaic rules, i think Daly had a set in play not to long ago either.

Finally - last point. I was playing a round early this year w/ a fellow in which both our drives were located very closely to each other. We both grabbed clubs (cart path only) and walked uphill to play our 2nd shot. After a really steep incline, we were both winded, and laughed about the walk. He realized that he grabbed the wrong clubs (maybe some wedges) but needed to play an 8 iron. Guess what? I had my ping eye 2 8 iron, stroked my approach shot to maybe 15 yards from the hole. He asked to borrow my 8 iron, he grips it, rips it and lands freakin 5 feet from the hole. He ended up with a birdy using my 30+ year old ping eye 2, and he was NOT familiar with the club, hitting it blindly his first time.....You tell me if these clubs are still relevant!!!

Thread Information