I was playing golf today as a single, and was joined up with another group of 3 players. A couple of the other players were giving me a hard time about playing with "20 year old golf clubs that were never any good anyways". They were playing with some whizzy Callaway clubs that looked expensive, and kept saying that I was at a disadvantage for using clubs with old technology and that I'd be better off with a set of $200 Canadian Tire clubs than my current ones.

I'm playing with Ping Eye 2 Green dots, 2-pw. These clubs could very well be 20 years old. My uncle bought them brand new, played 3 rounds of golf with them, and then decided that he didn't like the game. They stayed in his basement, untouched, until he gave them to me last year.

I took the clubs to a local shop that sells Pings, and they did a free fitment for me, and determined that blue dots were the correct color code for me. They sent them off to Ping and charged me $50 to have them adjusted. I had the grips replaced with new ones for $50 at the same time, so I'm only into them for $100. These clubs look brand new, but now these other players have got me wondering if I'm better off with something else.

I compared my clubs with some other expensive new clubs at the Pro Shop after my round today, and besides the asthetics, they didn't look much different than the new Ping Eye 3+. The shape of the head, and the depth of the cavity seemed very close, and the difference between the two probably wouldn't be exploited by a player who is just learning the game like myself.

Am I going to notice a difference between my old Pings vs a set of new low end clubs in the $200-$300 price range?? How about the $500-$700 price range?

I'm a little dissapointed, as I was hoping to learn to play with these clubs for 3-5 years before I had to replace them.

My Driver and woods are fairly new, so I'm not really concerned about them.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
James Dixon
jdixon@shaw.ca