CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar

Unhappy Chretien plays with Woods

Anybody else have an ethical problem with BCE (one of the largest corporations in Canada and regulated by the Federal Government ) waiving the entry fee for the Prime Minister to play in their group with Tiger Woods?

Full story

After reading the article, it's clear that the PM needs some Rules instruction.

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road

It may not be right but there is absolutly nothing anybody can do about it!

Gap Wedge HÄnd|cÄp is on a distinguished road

they all got money!

Last edited by HÄnd|cÄp; 09-10-2001 at 03:08 PM.
    You lifted your head...grrrrr!

is that chretien or Tiger ?

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    I don't understand why it was allowed to be an issue (waiving the fee). For average golfers, the few thousand dollars that it costs to play in Tiger's group is a LOT of money. For these guys, it probably doesn't even amount to the bets they make on each hole. For publicity's sake, they just should have let him pay it. But, I don't think that it constitutes a valuable enough item to constitute a questionable ethical issue.

If a lobbyist buys me a coke, I don't feel obligated to him for anything, but if he offers me the keys to the Ferrari we've been driving all day, then I have a decision to make.

If they threw in a new set of clubs, and a membership at Royal Montreal with a standing 10:00 tee time, then... maybe.

Of course, I can imagine that it bothered him that he couldn't play better, but watching the PM cheat hurt a lot..

spidey

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Golf is a window on the character. If you want to get to know someone better, play golf with him. How he behaves on the course is very telling, since true character shows through. We have a PM who bends the rules.

One would think he would have been aware that someone would notice his infraction, and just taken his lumps.

If I were PM and had a chance to play with the best player in the world, I would have paid the money out of my own pocket. It is not like he cannot personally afford it. Wasn't it enough to use his status (pull) to get into Tiger's group?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

waving of fees

Was it not the BCE company that waved the fees??
    If so .....WHO CARES..... its not as if the taxpayers are the ones that payed the bill. If the sponsor thought it would bring in paying spectators to their tournament, let them. Its their decision to make. I'm sure we have more things to worry about than the PM playing in a Pro-Am for free..... like his score!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The reason it is questioned is that politicians of influence are not supposed to accept gifts from corporations. It is a "conflict of interest". Next time Bell wants something from the Gov, it will be a bit harder for the PM's office to say "no", don't you think? If they say "Yes", it may be that soemeone crys fowl, and that is why they have laws against it.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    It would be like all of the players in the OtttawaGolf.com tournament giving me a lot of money so I wouldn't call a penalty on them in the tournament.

Hint! Hint!

Chretien is a liar and a duffer, and I bet when Tiger wasn't looking he thieved some golf balls outta his bag...and consoled himself by saying it was a "Welcome Tax" that the good Canadian People's deserved...then he hit all four into the same pond and took a par on the hole.

Thread Information