+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

OAC ShortGame Facilities

What are the facilities like for wedgeplay and putting? A picture would be great as well.

Considering it. My new goal in golf is to be a short game guru who can get up and down from anywhere anytime. Also would like to work on everything within 8 feet putting wise.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Go to http://www.ottawaathleticclub.com/tour/

for a panorama and some stills. The putting green is excellent with plenty of room for at least 4 people to practice at once. Not the greatest for hitting flop shots but good for chipping. The green is reasonably fast (maybe 8 or so on the stimp) and true.

If you are able to get there during quiet times you can practice your short pitching by hitting from one end of one side to the opposite corner (longest is about 40yds total). You can also place empty bucket out on the floor (when alone that is) and pitch to them. Personally I don't like the bunker (sand is too soft) but I suppose it works.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Go to http://www.ottawaathleticclub.com/tour/

for a panorama and some stills.
    Looks much better with the artificial grass laid down throughout the entire Golf School. I was a member there a couple of winters ago, and in between the hitting mats and nets was the tennis court surface.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Thanks for the info. Wow you'd think for 600$ they'd close down 1 more court and build a green larger then that. Like that is the size you'd have for yourself in your backyard. 4 people would be really tight and you can't even practice lag putts. I had this great vision in my head and it's basically just nets, a tiny putting area and no real shortgame area. I was going to join so I could practice wedge shots all day but with that border around the green it's kinda pointless. Arghz!! I'm not a fan of seasons!

Oh well!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Not sure what you were expecting really, but if you can afford a 600 sq.ft. green costing $15k in your backyard, knock yourself out.

Personally I don't think that the pictures show you much, but yes you are hitting into nets.

Also not 100% sure why you want to practice lag putts anyway, practice your irons more and hit it closer. Then practice your 15 footers.

As many have said before, it's not for everyone. For me it works, mostly because of location and the hours. The domes just suck for anyone who has a day job.

Good luck finding your winter golf utopia (I think its about 2500Km south of here though )

I hear ya I may of been a tad bittter it's just in the photo it looks really small and I can see it being incredibly tight with 4 people on it. Also if like myself you work 9-5 you'd be there after work which is when most people would probably go which drastically increases the odds of there already being people on it or people waiting etc... They have so much room there that is wasted it would of been cool if they made it larger like say double or triple with 3 more holes.. I just had a fantasy of what it was going to be and when I saw the pictures it shattered that.

I have hit into the net before but what I hate about nets is 90% of my shots are straight for the first 40 yards anyways so I don't really know if I'm hitting it pure or not.

Thanks for the info though!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I believe this year they open at 0545, so if you know what you want to do (don't need/want instruction) you could get in early and chip away. I used to go at 0700 a couple of years ago and there was usually only one other guy there at the time. he would be chipping from the mats across from the green, onto the green until more clients arrived. Sure it would be better to have more space but from what I see the tennis courts bring in a fair $ also, just a case of balance for the OAC. Also in the past they have had a few "discs" on each side of the room, between the net and tee box for you to chip to. Great pracatice if you can work on a few different distances/shots in the same session. Hope to see you there.

Thread Information