CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall golf

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Question Fall golf

I know, I'm gonna get a lot of boo's on this one, but still, it's September, the air is getting cooler and the leaves are getting ready to be a pain in the green.

Dan...

Are you planning on posting some kind of updates telling us when clubs are planning on winding down their activities... closing, spraying greens and taking them out of play, stopping course maintenance, like mowing, and changing holes...?

spidey

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar

AERATED GREENS ARE THE PITS....................

Good thought SPIDEY. I hate to fork out the $$$ & then find 15 greens have just been really worked over... It would be so nice if they would tell us on the phone!!!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    We will be starting the "Still Open" feature as courses begin to wind down. In the Spring we will of course have an opening soon calendar, as always

The fall deals will be well publisized.

Every course punches greens in the fall. This is a good thing.

We dislike it when we putt on them now, but we sure would howl if they did not do it.

Gee Dan, are you a Sports official?? You always add a calming tone to everything I "publish".
    I'm not mad at the aerated greens, just upset that the courses can't bother to tell us when book in. I would definitely get back several times to anyone that told us not to come right now, but ten days would be just perfect!!!

Sorry faldo, I had no idea that I had "calmed" anything you had potsed before. Nothing personal, no offence intended.

Part of the challenge of golf is to play the course as you find it. I played a few punched greens today . I admit that I woud have prefered pristine conditions, but we had a blast.

I do think that it is unrealistic to expect a course to be in prime shape all the time. All courses will have areas of mainenance on a regular basis, or they will not be in great shape next month/year. Even the most expensive courses are going to have rough patches at any given time. Courses that do no maintenance are not worth playing.

That maintenance is very expensive. Telling everyone to stay away for ten days is not likely to happen.

Yes, the truth is that maintenance is expensive. But, that doesn't mean that I feel better when I get on the course, and find out that there are 9 temporary greens. Personally, I think it's fair that we are permitted to make a choice about which courses to play, based on the playing conditions.

I don't have a problem about maintenance. But I think it's fair to expect the course to tell us about it. It's not an issue about avoiding a course. It's an issue about choice.

The plain fact of the matter is that the competitive market includes golf. If there are 10 courses in an area, and 9 of them are doing a good job and pleasing customers, and one of them is lackadaisical about their grounds, and ignore the expectations of the customers, then the 9 courses deserve to inherit the customers from the one course.

Actually, I started this thread purely to find out about how extensive the coverage would be about staying open, and end of year maintenance. I'm guessing that Dan's response indicates that the coverage will be limited to a selected list of 'Who's Still Open'.

spidey

I do not get reports from the courses as to conditions. They do not email me when they will be punching greens any more than they tell you on the phone.

I am sure the forum will be busy, and everyone will keep us all up to date as the fall season progresses.

Tx, Dan...

Your work is definitely appreciated, and I'm sure we don't expect you to wear out your welcome with the golf courses by being the bearer of their bad news.

good Fall golfing,

spidey

(if you don't ask, nobody will tell you...)

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road
    i agree it would be nice to know if the greens
    are being worked on when you book, then you could
    decide if you wanted to play there..and it has to
    be done..no problem with that, but let me know
    before i show up..
    metcalfe was doing theirs this week, but gave
    each foursome some discount passes for the
    inconveniance..

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Angry

Here's a suggestion....WHY DON'T YOU ASK THE COURSE?

"Have you airated your greens this week?"

Simple isn't it. Players need to take full responsibility when they are booking a tee time. Do you really think a course is going to tell you "I'd rather you don't play here this week because there are a few holes in the ground, why don't you go somewhere else".

Give me a break.

Hey relax there soixante-neuf.
    We're just expressing something that would get us to go back regularily to area courses.
    We just got back from ten days golfing on Vancouver Island & let me tell you about servicing the customer. I had booked via the NET 6 weeks before at GORGE VALE which was the CPGA TOUR STOP early this season. I called for directions from downtown Victoria & the response floored me!!! "We're undergoing major renovations & four holes are totally closed right now. Why don't you try booking at OLYMPIC VIEW or CORDOVA BAY" (their major competition). All this was after they already had my VISA logged in their system. Try to get that kind of service around here!?!?
    We played both & had a great time BUT believe me, our 1st stop in BC next time will be at the GORGE!!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

punched greens

faldo - I am happy you got that kind of services on your trip, but here in a market of over 100 courses so close, I'm sure they want to keep their customers to themselves and why not. I'm not saying I agree that we should be told about puched greens becauase they all do it as some point and this is a good thing.

But like em69 said, we can always just ask. I do beleive if there are any temporary greens or major renovations on the course, we SHOULD be told when booking. I just played Manderley today and they are working on a new 9 holes but have not interfered with the playing of the excisting holes. If it does then they should let us know before we book so we can make our own choice.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Aaahhh faldo...I'm not the one who gets worked up over this type of thing, I believe it is you who needs to relax. Interesting how some people perceive things, isn't it.

Anyways..you said "four holes totally closed and others under major renovation." Did you think they wouldn't say anything about that situation??? They probably weren't even open.

Come on, spare me.

I have played both Cordova Bay and Olympic View. You did not say which you chose. They are both great courses, but Olympic View is more dramatic, and tougher. I am sure you had a great time rergardless. I have not played Gorge Vale, but I will next visit

My brother lives a 5 minute walk from Cordova Bay. Not to hard to fill a day during a visit while he is at work

Thread Information