CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ray Emery

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Ray Emery

Not impressed with his performance tonight. Did not look sharp. Granted, he has not played much, but perhaps this is a reflection of his well documented (in media) less than 100 % attitude in practice.................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    No one was complaining about his practice habits last year

Gerber has taken the proverbial ball and has run with it. Good for him. After all, Emery did the same thing to him last year...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Not impressed with his performance tonight. Did not look sharp. Granted, he has not played much, but perhaps this is a reflection of his well documented (in media) less than 100 % attitude in practice.................
    or perhaps he enjoyed the extra stayover night in Montreal "alittle too much".......
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    That second goal was real weak. And the third wasn't much better. It could be chalked up to his lack of playing time, but performances like this won't do anything to increase that.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Emery isn't as good as what you may have thought he was last year. Gerber didn't get a fair shake last year and now he's showing what kind of goalie he is, a good one.

I'd be interested to know what kind of relationship GM Murray has with Emery...might suggest how long he sticks around

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I think the TSN panel made some very good points at the intermission.

1 - there is no sense being quick to get rid of Emery. If they want to make a move, they have the cap space without dumping him
    2 - the fact that there were no takers for Bryzghalov shows that there is no market for goalies at the moment. there will not be any worthwhile trades out there
    3 - he did help get them to a cup final last year, and there is a lot to be said for playoff experience.

I will add one of my own: we all know how crappy Gerber was to start last year, and now he is playing fantastic. We should not be too quick to make a judgement based on a handful of games following major surgery.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    they are both good goalies and at 7mil combined... that is a good deal. Keep them both. I'd rather have both of them than one kipper or RL.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I think Bryzgalov got picked up by they Coyotes or something...not that I don't blame you for not hearing that lol.

I don't think Emery was that big a boon last year in the playoffs. As I said before and many times off the forum, Volchenkov finished the playoffs with more "saves" than Emery!

Fallys
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

He means they couldn't trade him and they had to put him on waivers. Someone eventually took him

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    He means they couldn't trade him and they had to put him on waivers. Someone eventually took him
    After hearing Burke talk about this and reading a few stories..It seemed Teams new the Ducks had to move him for cap reasons as well as Burke said he would move him or place him on waivers. So why would any Team Trade for something they new they could get for Free....He is playing well with the Coyotes..Another win tonight over LA....Was a nice game to watch...
    Speaking of the Yotes....
    Shane Doan...Could you even think about how good Ottawa would be with him as the Second Line Center.....You could plan the route, I think thats what they are still missing a number 2 center. They won't win with out it...

Wonder what they would have to trade to get him away from Wayne???

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The reason he had to place him on waivers, though, is that there were no takers for a trade. (obviously its a pretty circular argument though).

if you want someone, you trade for him. If you really need him.. why even wait for him to clear waivers where everyone can pick him up? what happens if two teams claim him? how does that work? Like the fantasy drafts i do? waiver rank??

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    No one was complaining about his practice habits last year

Gerber has taken the proverbial ball and has run with it. Good for him. After all, Emery did the same thing to him last year...
    As in golf:
    1. You are only as good as your last game.
    2. You play like you practice.
    3. Attitude makes a player great and attitude makes a player ordinary.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    It's always been my contention that Emery will get traded nearer to the deadline to bolster the Sens up front for another run at the cup. They have Elliott down in Bingo, who would be a very capable backup to Gerber, and with Emery's antics of late he's more and more expendable.

The shoe was on the other foot last year, and Gerber kept his mouth shut. Emery should do the same.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    The reason he had to place him on waivers, though, is that there were no takers for a trade. (obviously its a pretty circular argument though).

Not too many teams make trades in November. Either way, he was picked up and is playing.

As for Emery. Hard to judge. As Geoff said that second goal was weak. Really weak.
    Lack of playing time could be some of the cause. As they say, playing in a real game is not like playing in a practice game.
    But why rush to trade him? Having two good goalies who will compete for the starting role is great. Both should work harder to earn and keep that spot.
    Plus you know Emery can fight, just in case they have to back up Neal
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Just to clarify , is this the "jump on board the Gerber bandwagon" or the "jump off the Emery bandwagon " ?

At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Just to clarify , is this the "jump on board the Gerber bandwagon" or the "jump off the Emery bandwagon " ?

It's the actual "Straddling the Jump on the Gerber bandwagon and the Jump off the Emery bandwagon".
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    they are both good goalies and at 7mil combined... that is a good deal. Keep them both. I'd rather have both of them than one kipper or RL.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Although they sort of stumbled into it, this is a great situation for the Sens. I think they are ahead of their time with this goalie situation and in the future more teams will be looking at this sort of netminder arrangement.
    I think they should keep both and let them continue to push each other for the #1 job.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post

Actually, it's the "I'm a Sens fan, I know we're 15-4 but I need to gripe about something, It'll be Spezza next" bandwagon.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I think the TSN panel made some very good points at the intermission.

1 - there is no sense being quick to get rid of Emery. If they want to make a move, they have the cap space without dumping him
    2 - the fact that there were no takers for Bryzghalov shows that there is no market for goalies at the moment. there will not be any worthwhile trades out there
    3 - he did help get them to a cup final last year, and there is a lot to be said for playoff experience.

I will add one of my own: we all know how crappy Gerber was to start last year, and now he is playing fantastic. We should not be too quick to make a judgement based on a handful of games following major surgery.
    the BIG difference between Bryzghalov and Emery is that Bryz is gonna be a free agent next year while Emery is signed thru 09/10 which makes Ray easier to trade. People aren't gonna give up much for a guy like Bryz who is gonna be a UFA, but Razor will get some play if they want, possible a top 7 or 8 forward.

I wouldn't get rid of Ray at all, he is a goalie that needs a lot of games to play well, and with Gerber on fire, he's just not getting that right now.

Baxter
    if you want someone, you trade for him. If you really need him.. why even wait for him to clear waivers where everyone can pick him up? what happens if two teams claim him? how does that work? Like the fantasy drafts i do? waiver rank??
    If a player is on waivers and 2 teams or more would like that player - The Team that had the worse record from the year before gets the player.
    The chances of The Ducks and or Ottawa claiming a good player off waivers is real slim.

I think because the Coyotes have used this system now if they wany another player off waivers they lose their 1st right against a better ranking team, because they have claimed a player. It now goes to the next worse team from last year to either pick the player or refuse him.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    If a player is on waivers and 2 teams or more would like that player - The Team that had the worse record from the year before gets the player.
    Actually, I believe that after November 1st it reverts to the winning percentage of the current year..........i.e. the Coyotes had the lowest winning percentage THIS YEAR of any team that made a claim

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    It's the actual "Straddling the Jump on the Gerber bandwagon and the Jump off the Emery bandwagon".
    Be carefull that you do not pull a groin muscle Geoff, or you won't be jumping anything for awhile
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information