CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting

Ty Webb

Putting

My putting sucks. How would you suggest that I improve (drills, books, etc.).

Regards

Ty

Big_duck

Learn to LAG

For me, the first step was learning to get the ball within a two to three foot circle with my first. That way, most of the time, I was facing a real easy two putt.

Once my number putting strokes went down, my confidence improved to the point, that now I am trying to make those 15 to 20 footers and succeding on occasion. And when I miss, it's usually a tap in to three or four footer.

The other thing I did, was get a putter I had confidence in. I went to Pro-Golf, CBs, T&L and kept testing putters (without looking at the price tag) until I found one that felt right for me.

Interestingly, I started off looking for a Ping Isopur (sp) putter which was "THE" putter at the time. I didn't like it so I didn't buy it actually, I bought one that cost more.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

what sucks about it

other than you take too many?

Do you have trouble reading putts?
    Estimating speed?
    Trouble with lags?
    Knocking in the 4 footers?
    Pull them?
    Push them?

How's your set-up?

Try to identify the weaknesses first, then we can find solutions.

There's a long winter ahead of us and it's the one thing you can do in your own home (10-15 minutes / day).

Read some books like Dave Pelz Putting Bible.

Jeff

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

try this

When putting, I always use the letters on the ball to line up my line. Don't point it at the hole, point it at the line you intend to use. This will help bring the club straight through towards your target.

I then make sure my body and feet are square to the target line and then check to make sure my putter head is also square with a few peaks towards the target. At that point, all I think about is speed.

Don't bring the club too far back. It is better to be accelerating through the ball than decelerating. Make a smooth stroke and make sure to follow though.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Thumbs up this has helped me

This is a piece of the puzzle I learned years ago and has helped me big time. This is just for ty so the rest of stop reading.

Get to the course early ....... get on the practice green and put three balls on the green at 2 feet away. Putt the balls in the hole until u make 10 in row. Move back a foot and do it again. Keep doing that until you make them from 6 feet or so.......... then go back farther and try lagging the ball to the elusive 3 foot circle.

Now for the key.............. when you have that 4 foot putt, keep your eyes over the ball UNTIL you hear the ball drop in the hole. Don't lift your head to look at the ball until it makes the noise of going in the hole. When your faced with a longer putt, and you get the line correct, if you keep your eyes (head) down for that 4-6 feet , you should be making more putts.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    My putting sucks. How would you suggest that I improve (drills, books, etc.).
    I recently purchased on Ebay a Zen Oracle putter, ($23.01), to use as a training aid. As I want a square to square putting stroke, this putter encourages this motion. I use a Two-Ball when I play

Having said that, the reality is that most putts are missed for two reasons: (1) we move on the forward swing causing the ball to go offline, and (2) we think about how we are stroking the putt, thereby losing the feel for the correct distance, instead of just letting our subconscious determine how hard to hit the ball.

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

smooth stroke - esp for short putts

as long as your eyes are over the ball and you have a remote idea how the ball is going to roll, these really shouldn't be that tough. I had some trouble with these putts up until about a couple weeks ago. I think the key is to swing the putter smooth and one way of ensuring that is just to make sure that your putter isn't touching the ground before you start your putting stroke. That way, you don't have the ground disrupting your backswing. One more note - always hit the ball on the upswing to get a better roll.that means putting the ball forwards in your stance, but keeping your weight distribution 50-50. hope this helps

Yun

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road
    I don't know how bad your putting is. Mine is not too bad now but i used to be very bad a couple of years ago(36-40 per rounds). There were three major things i did to improve my putting. (1) bought and read Dave Pelz's Putting Bible....2-3 times (2) shortened my putter to fit my height (3) learned to lagputt. The first two steps are just to understand the "science" part of the putting, green speed, grainflow, break..slope, stance that fit your body type etc. The last step is to learn the "art" or the "feel" side of the putting. The reason i three putt because my first putt is either too short or too long (provided that I read the break right or almost right). Therefore i spent a lot of time on lagputting. Most of us can throw a ball to a friend and land inside two feet circle but we have a hard time putting to stop in the same circle. That's because we can't "feel" it in our mind. I used to go on the putting green and just look at the hole 30-40 feet away and putt. Don't try to make it just try to stop it close to the hole. Here is the stat about Pro's putting....
    2 ft.....100%
    3 ft.....85%
    6 ft.....50%
    10 ft....30%

So don't be too hard on yourself if you miss the 6 footer. And the only gimme is the 2 footer! therefore anything outside 10 ft. the hole is 4 ft. wide!

Good Luck
    TP.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Question and the answer is???????

Ty

It's been a week since you posted your help wanted sign.

How has your putting been? Have you tried any of the above suggestions and have they worked?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Ty Webb
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Ty

It's been a week since you posted your help wanted sign.

How has your putting been? Have you tried any of the above suggestions and have they worked?
    Yes. The best tip has been to keep my head down. I have noted that if I think about the target (hole) instead of the ball/stroke, I putt much better.

Thank you to all who contributed.

Ty

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    ... I putt much better.
    Good to hear. You have to be patient with yourself, Ty, it all comes with practice and experience. There are SOOOO many things to remember/ingrain with golf...that's what makes it cool.

Thread Information