100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Oops, i think you meant it came down by 1200.

Yes, it came down $1200.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Denis,

I have no idea what the quality of a Sanyo is but I was just out shopping and Wal-Mart has a Sanyo 50'' Plasma HDTV on sale for $1200. Even the well know brand LCD & Plasma units are all on sale and from what I could see they were $2000 or less down to $1100. The 27'' to 42'' units were between $399 and $999.

8 Iron caddishack is on a distinguished road caddishack's Avatar
    Yes I too noticed these great price reductions. I saw at Sam's Club a Sharp Aquos, not sure the screen size 40" maybe for 1300.00

I was curious though to know which TV's, Plasma or LCD have that blurry look when not on high def. I remember seeing it at a golf course of all places after a round watching football and the image was worse than a conventional TV.

3 Iron guitarman is on a distinguished road guitarman's Avatar
    brought my plasma home lastnight and it is sweeeeeet. Cant beleive the deals out there. I think these canadian stores are working hard to stop people from crossing the border. Got my Panasonic PZ77 for $1599. Great price for a Panasonic full 1080P.
    Terry

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
    brought my plasma home lastnight and it is sweeeeeet. Cant beleive the deals out there. I think these canadian stores are working hard to stop people from crossing the border. Got my Panasonic PZ77 for $1599. Great price for a Panasonic full 1080P.
    When i bought my tv in the spring.The owner told me that the prices were going to drop alot in the fall.He told me to wait but i wanted one then.I don't like waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    When i bought my tv in the spring.The owner told me that the prices were going to drop alot in the fall.He told me to wait but i wanted one then.I don't like waiting.

Well thats the thing. Who likes to wait. I'll bet if I just waited another month till after Christmas I could've saved another hundred or 2. But I wanted it now. If we keep waiting we'll never get it.
    Terry

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Where did you get your Z77 and is it must be the 42?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Question

What's the full model number and where did you buy it from?????

Well thats the thing. Who likes to wait. I'll bet if I just waited another month till after Christmas I could've saved another hundred or 2. But I wanted it now. If we keep waiting we'll never get it.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

The Sanyo's finished near the bottom of the Consumer Reports ratings, but still were rated a very good picture. Bad remote and onscreen menus.

Its the PZ77 42". I got it at futureshop. I had to hum and haw for a deal. It also helped that I was buying an XBox 360, accesories and games that came to close to $1,000. When you're buying lots of stuff you have a little more leverage for them to swing a deal. Never go in there and immediately pay the sticker price.
    This Panasonic was top of the consumer pack and was quoted as the best picture quality they've ever tested. I'm watching the leaf game right now and even though 5 or 6 minutes in to the first period they are down 3-0 it looks so life like it seems as though I could reach through the screen and wring their necks. I know I want to.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    What's the full model number and where did you buy it from?????

TH-42PZ77U. Futureshop Brantford.
    Terry

Its the PZ77 42". I got it at futureshop. I had to hum and haw for a deal. It also helped that I was buying an XBox 360, accesories and games that came to close to $1,000. When you're buying lots of stuff you have a little more leverage for them to swing a deal. Never go in there and immediately pay the sticker price.
    This Panasonic was top of the consumer pack and was quoted as the best picture quality they've ever tested. I'm watching the leaf game right now and even though 5 or 6 minutes in to the first period they are down 3-0 it looks so life like it seems as though I could reach through the screen and wring their necks. I know I want to.
    Actually, in the 42" the Pioneer beat it, but it's twice the price. (got that issue sitting on my lap). The 50" PZ700 is the one that got the best picture ever in the November issue. Also, the PZ77 isn't 1080p, it's 720p. Very sweet TV and price though.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Actually, in the 42" the Pioneer beat it, but it's twice the price. (got that issue sitting on my lap). The 50" PZ700 is the one that got the best picture ever in the November issue. Also, the PZ77 isn't 1080p, it's 720p. Very sweet TV and price though.
    The PZ77U is the same as the PZ700 minus a couple of features but virtually the same TV. Full 1080P, Antiglare, Pixel shift. The PX75/77 are the 720P versions.

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/09...1080p-plasmas/
    Terry

My bad my man! They should give these things names, like cars! LOL

I think I'll write out the rankings from Consumer Reports, so everyone who shops can have a reference. I'm just waiting for them to price drop the 50" 700 to match the US price.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I have the HP-S5053. Yes I compared it, there were 3 50'' units mounted side by side on the wall, all of them on a soccer match. I found the Smasung had the least amount of 'image ghosting' when the players were moving fast. now mind you it was almost non existant on any of them, but non the less it could be seen if you looked hard enough. The color was the crispest and brightest on the Samsung. I looked around at several stores and I have to say I kept on leaning towards the Samsung.

Just a word of warning, nothing to do with the unit but think long and hard about twhat type of stand or wall mount bracket you will get. I picked up a Sanus Platinum Furniture PFFP2 tower stand. It is a great looking TV stand the you hang the display unit off of about 5 feet off the floor. It has great oval glass shelves for the home theater and set top box. It was around $750. I now regret not paying the $600 for a heavy duty wall mount bracket. Although this stand has a bracket that I can take off of the platinum tower and install on the wall, it is not a telescopic arm bracket.
    Have you noticed any ticker judder issues that I keep reading about with samsung?

Have you noticed any ticker judder issues that I keep reading about with samsung?
    I don't know what you mean by ticker judder, but I have had zero problems with the TV, just the HD box which I am thinking of switching to bell expressVu

I have expressview and the HD is awsome, just make sure they take the time and get a strong signal or else you will lose you signal everytime the wind blows.

Take a look at what I mean:
    http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index.php/Judder

Seems to be a common problem with the Sammy's and they came out with a way to flash the firmware to fix it. I bought the 5064 on the weekned because I got a sweet deal on it plus 2 yr warrant and 3 HDMI inputs but i pick it you tomorrow and I can't help but think I should have listened to most people and bought the Panasonic X75.

I have expressview and the HD is awsome, just make sure they take the time and get a strong signal or else you will lose you signal everytime the wind blows.

Take a look at what I mean:
    http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index.php/Judder

Seems to be a common problem with the Sammy's and they came out with a way to flash the firmware to fix it. I bought the 5064 on the weekned because I got a sweet deal on it plus 2 yr warrant and 3 HDMI inputs but i pick it you tomorrow and I can't help but think I should have listened to most people and bought the Panasonic X75.
    I do not have that problem watsoever, the picture is great..... you will not regret your choice Denis....

I hope not, but I have 30 days to try it out just in case. you don't notice it even in SD?

I hope not, but I have 30 days to try it out just in case. you don't notice it even in SD?
    No, many of the shows I watch are in SD unfortunately. I have no problems with picture quality whatsoever

Sweet! I'm hoping that the SD channels come through full screen. I did something one day with either my current 48" widescreen projection and teh Expressview and wammo I had everything in 16:9 with no strech loss!

Sweet! I'm hoping that the SD channels come through full screen. I did something one day with either my current 48" widescreen projection and teh Expressview and wammo I had everything in 16:9 with no strech loss!
    Unfortunately I have the stretch loss with SD,,, I think it is because I have some settings worng though... Whn I switch to expressview, I will make sure they set it up or I will have someone comein to have a look at my setup at some point. But I must admit, you don't lose much with 1080 stretch

D oh! Just got it today and it's to BIG! Even after I measured it, once in the door it just took over the room and not in a good way. Looks like I'm stuck with a 42

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I have a Samsung 42" 1080 and i LOVE the TV. It is the best tv that i researched and have not had a problem with it in the 9 months that i have owned it. I have a buddy who has the 50" Sammy and he says the same things.

Tho only manufacturer i would stay away from is LG... i have a buddy who works for them and he said their warehouse is full of plasma/lcg returns because they have had sooo many problems with them. Even at the discount that he could get for me, he said to stay away from them and get the Samsung.
    Same goes for RCA.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

D oh! Just got it today and it's to BIG! Even after I measured it, once in the door it just took over the room and not in a good way. Looks like I'm stuck with a 42

Now that SUCKS big time! Throw some furniture out!

I wish! The new set is being mounted above the fireplace and it is on a wall between two winows. The 50 almost goes from window to windo and you see nothing else but the TV, even though the room is 16X14. I have the 42 home and plugged in right now and it looks sweet and it is much bigger in the house then in the big box store. Got the 4264 for only 1299! That's a steal IMO. I had the 5064 for only 1899 which is a good deal as well, both are sitting in te house right now! I went on CNET and they had very detailed settings on how to get the picture just right. If anyone uses bell, there is away to configure the box to make all SD channels 16:9. i did it by accident and can't remember how but it still works on the new TV and it's nice to not have to strech.

I wish! The new set is being mounted above the fireplace and it is on a wall between two winows. The 50 almost goes from window to windo and you see nothing else but the TV, even though the room is 16X14. I have the 42 home and plugged in right now and it looks sweet and it is much bigger in the house then in the big box store. Got the 4264 for only 1299! That's a steal IMO. I had the 5064 for only 1899 which is a good deal as well, both are sitting in te house right now! I went on CNET and they had very detailed settings on how to get the picture just right. If anyone uses bell, there is away to configure the box to make all SD channels 16:9. i did it by accident and can't remember how but it still works on the new TV and it's nice to not have to strech.

So Denis, you have had the new toy for a little over a week now, what do you think?

I really like it. The picture quality is great, even in SD it looks fantastic. I think I will always have nightmares about the day I had to return the 50" but the 42" fits my room better and it gves me an excuse to buy a 50" down the road when I finish my basement as a home theatre! I'm still surprised at just how big these TV's are once you get them home. When I go into FS now and look at the 42's they look like a 32" or less in that big show room, but get it home and it's a different story. Would def. recomend the Samsung.

I really like it. The picture quality is great, even in SD it looks fantastic. I think I will always have nightmares about the day I had to return the 50" but the 42" fits my room better and it gves me an excuse to buy a 50" down the road when I finish my basement as a home theatre! I'm still surprised at just how big these TV's are once you get them home. When I go into FS now and look at the 42's they look like a 32" or less in that big show room, but get it home and it's a different story. Would def. recomend the Samsung.
    Glad you like it! and YES, they are much bigger at home. My living room is 28 X 16 and the 50'' seems to fill the room

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You guys should see my basement. 61" seems small sometimes.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information