+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Walmart 50" Plasmas

50" Sanyo plasmas are going for $1300. Not a bad price at all, it's matching the Walmart US price.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

3 Iron guitarman is on a distinguished road guitarman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    50" Sanyo plasmas are going for $1300. Not a bad price at all, it's matching the Walmart US price.
    I'm buying a 42" Plasma for my bedroom this Friday. 50" is just a tad too big for the bedroom.
    Terry

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
    I'm buying a 42" Plasma for my bedroom this Friday. 50" is just a tad too big for the bedroom.

The TV isn't too big for the bedroom Terry, the bedroom is too small for the TV. You need a bigger bedroom.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The TV isn't too big for the bedroom Terry, the bedroom is too small for the TV. You need a bigger bedroom.
    I agree the tv can never be to big!

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    If you are considering a plasma, go with either a Pioneer (best PQ but is pricey!), Panasonic PX75 series (excellent bang for the buck), or Samsung.

The 42 inch Panasonic 42PX75 are in the $1300-$1500 range. The 50 inch 50PX75 can be as low as $1999.

Dav

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    If you are considering a plasma, go with either a Pioneer (best PQ but is pricey!), Panasonic PX75 series (excellent bang for the buck), or Samsung.

The 42 inch Panasonic 42PX75 are in the $1300-$1500 range. The 50 inch 50PX75 can be as low as $1999.

Dav

I think it is the pz77 that I'm going for. The 1080P model. I decided on the Panasonic over the Pioneer as the Pioneers although the best PQ and warranty are also the most expensive. The Panasonics are the best value and I've heard great things about their customer service.
    Terry

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    I think it is the pz77 that I'm going for. The 1080P model. I decided on the Panasonic over the Pioneer as the Pioneers although the best PQ and warranty are also the most expensive. The Panasonics are the best value and I've heard great things about their customer service.
    My friend just bought a 50 inch Pioneer 5080 for around $2900 or so. I've only seen the 5070 at a local Costco....this was priced as low as $2799 plus taxes minus $500 instant rebate for a week or two in the summer of 2007.

The Panasonic flat panels are regarded by Consumer Reports (Dec 2007) as the most reliable at a repair rate of only 2% (both LCD and plasma). For repair rates of other LCDs: Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Toshiba and JVC are all tied at 3%, Philips at 4%, Hitachi at 9%, Dell is the highest at 11%. For plasmas: Pioneer at 3%, Samsung 5% and Philips at 8%. Too bad that a second tier brand like LG was not reported.

Dave

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Consumer Reports also wrote that the Panasonic had the best picture they've ever seen above all other. I'm buying the 50" for my main room. I might pick up two of those Sanyo's though for support TV's.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I have two other things to do in the bedroom other than lay there and watch a 42 inch TV.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Birdie Sensgirl is on a distinguished road Sensgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I have two other things to do in the bedroom other than lay there and watch a 42 inch TV.

Sleep and make the bed?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I'm buying the Panasonic PX75 as well, I was looking into the Z77 but most people say that you can't see the difference once you are more then 7ish feet, not worth the extra grand for me. Hoping the PX75 price will drop now that the z77 is out.
    I saw a Pioneer 5010 model at costco for 1999 anyone no much about it?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensgirl View Post
    Sleep and make the bed?

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I'm buying the Panasonic PX75 as well, I was looking into the Z77 but most people say that you can't see the difference once you are more then 7ish feet, not worth the extra grand for me. Hoping the PX75 price will drop now that the z77 is out.
    I saw a Pioneer 5010 model at costco for 1999 anyone no much about it?
    The difference is only $500.$1399 for PX75 $1899 for PZ77 (full 1080P) Without getting in to all the technical jargon the conversions alone will give you a better pic. Most broadcasts are 1080i or 720P. As well in the 1080P set there are some better circuitry that gives you a better pic as well the PZ77 has antiglare if you have some lighting issues. I saw both sets side by side and the PZ77 blew the PX75 away in color and contrast. I will only be sitting 6 feet away from mine as well which is right on the border to tell the difference of 1080P (5.49') I pick mine up tommorrow night.
    Terry

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Carefull about buying tv's at Walmart, they tend to stock models that have been troublesome for other retailers and will no longer be sold by them. Have a friend that has returned his LCD twice and then the 3rd time they told him to send it to the manifacturer. All in all he's had the TV for 10 moths and out of that he got to use it for about 6 months. They guy at the customer service desk told him that they get so many LCD tv returned that Walmart might be re-thinking if they should sell them or not. Unlike the tube TV's LCD and plasma's are more fragile and they won't purchase the quality ones, so they can stick with the lowest price items on the market.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensgirl View Post
    Sleep and make the bed?
    You're avatar says it all TOUCHE!

You have the first part of the question correct.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Carefull about buying tv's at Walmart, they tend to stock models that have been troublesome for other retailers and will no longer be sold by them. Have a friend that has returned his LCD twice and then the 3rd time they told him to send it to the manifacturer. All in all he's had the TV for 10 moths and out of that he got to use it for about 6 months. They guy at the customer service desk told him that they get so many LCD tv returned that Walmart might be re-thinking if they should sell them or not. Unlike the tube TV's LCD and plasma's are more fragile and they won't purchase the quality ones, so they can stick with the lowest price items on the market.

This is very true---check manufacture codes info and then go to individual websites to check manufacture dates and original shipping destinations--it might take a few minutes but it will be worth your time
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I have a Samsung 42" 1080 and i LOVE the TV. It is the best tv that i researched and have not had a problem with it in the 9 months that i have owned it. I have a buddy who has the 50" Sammy and he says the same things.

Tho only manufacturer i would stay away from is LG... i have a buddy who works for them and he said their warehouse is full of plasma/lcg returns because they have had sooo many problems with them. Even at the discount that he could get for me, he said to stay away from them and get the Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I have a Samsung 42" 1080 and i LOVE the TV. It is the best tv that i researched and have not had a problem with it in the 9 months that i have owned it. I have a buddy who has the 50" Sammy and he says the same things.

Tho only manufacturer i would stay away from is LG... i have a buddy who works for them and he said their warehouse is full of plasma/lcg returns because they have had sooo many problems with them. Even at the discount that he could get for me, he said to stay away from them and get the Samsung.

Well thanks for that info because I was looking at an LG last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post

Panasonic is #1 in the consumer report ratings. That being said the TV that my new plasma is replacing is a Samsung LCD that I have had for 2 years. Its been a good TV. The only complaint I've had about it is the crappy LCD quality. LCDs are better than the 2 year old technology but still can't compete with the overall picture quality of Plasma.
    This is what is being reported about the TV I am purchasing:
    Consumer reports suggest that the Panasonic Plasma 1080P has the best picture they have ever tested.
    Terry

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Panasonic is #1 in the consumer report ratings. That being said the TV that my new plasma is replacing is a Samsung LCD that I have had for 2 years. Its been a good TV. The only complaint I've had about it is the crappy LCD quality. LCDs are better than the 2 year old technology but still can't compete with the overall picture quality of Plasma.
    This is what is being reported about the TV I am purchasing:
    I have a 50'' Samsung plasma and I am very happy with it

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    The difference is only $500.$1399 for PX75 $1899 for PZ77 (full 1080P) Without getting in to all the technical jargon the conversions alone will give you a better pic. Most broadcasts are 1080i or 720P. As well in the 1080P set there are some better circuitry that gives you a better pic as well the PZ77 has antiglare if you have some lighting issues. I saw both sets side by side and the PZ77 blew the PX75 away in color and contrast. I will only be sitting 6 feet away from mine as well which is right on the border to tell the difference of 1080P (5.49') I pick mine up tommorrow night.

What networks broadcast in 1080i?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgk5 View Post
    What networks broadcast in 1080i?
    CBS, NBC, and HDNet for sure. Not sure about the Canadian ones since I don't watch them.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Can you tell me where to get a Panasonic X75 for 1399 or a z77 for 1899? I will go there and buy it right now! Best price I have seen is 1999 and 2799. Unless you mean the 42.

For those who have bought their plasma's already, did you purshase any additional warranty like what Futureshop and Bestbuy offer. Is it worth it or needed with plasmas or just a scam?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    For those who have bought their plasma's already, did you purshase any additional warranty like what Futureshop and Bestbuy offer. Is it worth it or needed with plasmas or just a scam?
    I didn't bother. The extended warranty's are usually 25%+ of the purchase price, it's way too much. If you bought a decent 42" plasma two years ago, you would've paid $2500-3000. The extended warranty would've been $600+. That money would go a long way to replacing your set at today's prices if you had a worst case scenario breakdown. I'd rather keep my money, even if the odds match the warranty cost (1 in 4 chance of total failure) and they don't, you're still better off keeping the money in your pocket.

I did not, the cost was over 20% of the value of the plasma. I figured the way they are dropping in price, I would be able to replace it for maybe 50 to 60% of the original cost so I declined. My unit has come down almost a $1200. since last February
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I did not, the cost was over 20% of the value of the plasma. I figured the way they are dropping in price, I would be able to replace it for maybe 50 to 60% of the original cost so I declined. My unit has come down almost a $1200. since last February
    You have a Samsung, which model? Did you compare it with the Panasonic before buying?

You have a Samsung, which model? Did you compare it with the Panasonic before buying?
    I have the HP-S5053. Yes I compared it, there were 3 50'' units mounted side by side on the wall, all of them on a soccer match. I found the Smasung had the least amount of 'image ghosting' when the players were moving fast. now mind you it was almost non existant on any of them, but non the less it could be seen if you looked hard enough. The color was the crispest and brightest on the Samsung. I looked around at several stores and I have to say I kept on leaning towards the Samsung.

Just a word of warning, nothing to do with the unit but think long and hard about twhat type of stand or wall mount bracket you will get. I picked up a Sanus Platinum Furniture PFFP2 tower stand. It is a great looking TV stand the you hang the display unit off of about 5 feet off the floor. It has great oval glass shelves for the home theater and set top box. It was around $750. I now regret not paying the $600 for a heavy duty wall mount bracket. Although this stand has a bracket that I can take off of the platinum tower and install on the wall, it is not a telescopic arm bracket.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Where can you get it for 1200? That's a pretty good price for any 50'.

Oops, i think you meant it came down by 1200.

Thread Information