CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

A ping 10.5 is actually 13*????

as sone of you may now I'm looking for a new driver head. Something around 10.5. A friend of mine told me that isntead of getting a TM 10.5, why don't I get a ping 9* as it would be around the same loft. Its a g5 driver. Any truth do this? Why does ping do it and not TM?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Some brands are notorious for understating the loft on their clubs. Ping is one of those because they are more of a game improvement brand than Taylormade, which markets itself as a players club.

Every club has tolerances on it so if you really want to be sure of the loft you should get it measured.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The G2 series was especially bad for that, I thought the G5 series was closer to the advertised loft. Callaway is another brand that understates the loft on their drivers. You also have to watch how closed the face is as the increases the effective loft.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    So while on this topic, how much loft does a typical 10* G2 have? 11.5*?
    And if the R7 superquad tends to launch the ball higher than normal (which is what people on here are generally reporting), would a 10.5* Superquad be somewhat similar to a 10* G2 all else being equal?

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Frank Thomas had a article on the golf channel web site about this subject. Most companies now lie about the true loft of their clubs. They claim that they do it because the average golfer is to macho to admit he needs a higher loft driver. One company even admitting to putting false loft markings on some of the tour players clubs because they didn't want anyone to know that they were using a high loft driver.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    They claim that they do it because the average golfer is to macho to admit he needs a higher loft driver.
    agreed.

Thread Information