100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    If we somehow miraculously make the playoffs this year, I can guarantee that if it's with the same lineup we have now, the last team we want to see is Ottawa. We will get destroyed. This Sens team is nothing like the ones we beat before. That 3-0 win last weekend was a mirage. Sure, we played a decent game and deserved to win, but by the same token, Ottawa didn't show up. Our "A" game right now is nothing close to theirs.

And no, I am not a Sens fan. I am a realist. You can't help but be a bit jealous of Ottawa's success over the last 10 years, especially when measured against the Leafs. They have built a great team in a short period of time, even while almost going broke in the process. The only thing that has gotten any better for Toronto is the owner's bank accounts, at the expense of loyal fans.
    I agree. Same goes for the Habs. They played very well the first of the last two game vs OTT. They lead 1-0 most of the game but that was not enough. Last game was brutal. The Sens were just TOO strong at both ends and the Habs are 4th in the east. That’s scary. If they don’t win it this year I think they will never win it.

Side note: I’m an original Habs fan. Seen the Habs live when they won the cup at the forum in 93 and remember them winning in 86. My guess is that LobWedge is a Leafs fan from the beginning. All you Sens fans turned your back on what team. When the Sens were inexistent what team were you cheering for? Now that’s what I call a bandwagon!!

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I still say expansion team fans shouldn't get to use the 67 cup jibes until they win one themselves. How many cups have the Sharks won? Or the Sens?

Us Habs fans on the other hand...actually we need a few hands to count all the cups we've won since '67, even with a 14 year dry spell.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I agree. Same goes for the Habs. They played very well the first of the last two game vs OTT. They lead 1-0 most of the game but that was not enough. Last game was brutal. The Sens were just TOO strong at both ends and the Habs are 4th in the east. That’s scary. If they don’t win it this year I think they will never win it.

Side note: I’m an original Habs fan. Seen the Habs live when they won the cup at the forum in 93 and remember them winning in 86. My guess is that LobWedge is a Leafs fan from the beginning. All you Sens fans turned your back on what team. When the Sens were inexistent what team were you cheering for? Now that’s what I call a bandwagon!!

Mike
    gimme bandwagon any day rather than being brought up as a leaf/habs fan. For me, as i was growing up i was basically a "player" fan. I rooted for the team where my fav player was on. My pops was a leaf fan, grandparents were habs fans so i hated both teams... who knew at 24 that would be the best decision i have made so far!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Mike
    why does it matter if we used to cheer for another team and then switch? I never understood this mentality. I live in Ottawa and am proud that we have a team here. I don't see it as turning your back on a team, moreso supporting the team that is in the city I live in. I was never a big leafs fan, despite growing up in southern ontario and when I was really young, I cheered for boston, mostly due to Bobby Orr. When the Sens got a team, I became a Sens fan.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Mike
    So that would make you close to 100 years old?

Sure, I've been a Leafs fan my whole life, but theye were around long before I was born. By your logic, suddenly 24 out of 30 teams in the NHL don't have legitimate fans. Seems a bit harsh, don't you think?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

3 Iron guitarman is on a distinguished road guitarman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I was never a big leafs fan, despite growing up in southern ontario and when I was really young, I cheered for boston, mostly due to Bobby Orr. When the Sens got a team, I became a Sens fan.

I still have a spot for Boston in my heart because of Bobby Orr. The Boston jersey is my favourite and I get nostalgic when I see it. I even bought a Chev Venture Bobby Orr signature van a few years back.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
    I still have a spot for Boston in my heart because of Bobby Orr. The Boston jersey is my favourite and I get nostalgic when I see it. I even bought a Chev Venture Bobby Orr signature van a few years back.
    there is a pic of me an my brother when we were about 6 and 7 at christmas. he was wearing his leafs shirt, me my boston shirt. I couldn't have been happier....ah the good ole days.

So that would make you close to 100 years old?
    99 going on 100.

By your logic, suddenly 24 out of 30 teams in the NHL don't have legitimate fans. Seems a bit harsh, don't you think?
    Not really. You can’t be a Boston Fan and then jump on to another team just because they are doing well. That tells me they are “winning” fans or hockey fans and not a team fan win or lose.

I have been a Habs fan since I was born win or lose. That’s dedication.

99 going on 100.

Not really. You can’t be a Boston Fan and then jump on to another team just because they are doing well. That tells me they are “winning” fans or hockey fans and not a team fan win or lose.

nope..but you can become a Sens fan when they get a team....

heck, we suffered through some miserable years so we are allowed to enjoy the good ones.

there is a pic of me an my brother when we were about 6 and 7 at christmas. he was wearing his leafs shirt, me my boston shirt. I couldn't have been happier....ah the good ole days.
    No pics added?

No pics added?
    unfortunately they didn't have digital cameras back them but I will try to dig out the pic at christmas and post it.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    the thing is with TOR, the people in the office really dont care to much what kind of team they throw on the ice because its going to be a sell out! TOR fans will come out to watch any Leaf Team even when their at the bottom. Ya die hard fans thats Great! But for how long will the Leafs be like this. Im a Sens fans and watch every game no matter what team it is they are playing...but really looked forward to TOR vs OTT, the battle of Ontario, but now its just a joke! On Saturday OTT played their D game and if not for a couple of Penalties they still had a chance to win that game for the most part! I hope Toronto gets there act together, if I have to watch Ott/TOR 8 times a year it would be nice to see some good hockey!
    Leafs suck!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Mike
    I was and still am a Vancouver fan as I am originally from the West Coast. However, I live in Ottawa now, I moved here the first year that the Sens made the playoffs and I have been cheering for them ever since. I was hoping for a Vancouver-Ottawa final last year, but the Ducks ruined both parties
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    the thing is with TOR, the people in the office really dont care to much what kind of team they throw on the ice because its going to be a sell out! TOR fans will come out to watch any Leaf Team even when their at the bottom. Ya die hard fans thats Great! But for how long will the Leafs be like this.
    I am convinced that this is not the case, and i am a Sens fan. I think they do really care about putting a good team on the ice. If not they would have a team with as low of a salary as they can get away with ie. bottom of the cap. I think its simply that they have HORRIBLE people in positions of power and decision-making. They just make DUMB decisions, they have never been afraid to sign the big contracts when they could have just brought someone up from the Marlies for 1/6th of the price. Just think how many BAD contracts they have signed, and compare this to the top teams, like Ottawa, Detroit, Anaheim etc.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I am convinced that this is not the case, and i am a Sens fan. I think they do really care about putting a good team on the ice. If not they would have a team with as low of a salary as they can get away with ie. bottom of the cap. I think its simply that they have HORRIBLE people in positions of power and decision-making. They just make DUMB decisions, they have never been afraid to sign the big contracts when they could have just brought someone up from the Marlies for 1/6th of the price. Just think how many BAD contracts they have signed, and compare this to the top teams, like Ottawa, Detroit, Anaheim etc.

I'd agree Dave. The problems go back for several years and it will take several years to fix. Start with hiring a top notch GM and give him the power and authority to make some tough decisions.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Used to be a fan of the Oilers till Ottawa got a team. Been a Sens fan since the days of Craig Sieve-ington, errrrrrrrr, I mean Billington. Does that count Mike?

99 going on 100.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

So in order to be a true modern day Sens fan, for instance, you can't be any older than 15?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I was and still am a Vancouver fan as I am originally from the West Coast. However, I live in Ottawa now, I moved here the first year that the Sens made the playoffs and I have been cheering for them ever since. I was hoping for a Vancouver-Ottawa final last year, but the Ducks ruined both parties
    Yep and they might ruin it again this year if Neidermayer comes back and Selanne comes back and signs for next to nothing. They got Schneider now also.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    great point...but if this was the case in Ottawa then Im sure Melnik would step in and make sure they dont sign a guy like McCabe for 7 mil a year! My point was more focused on ownership, not head office. JF is awful! ya I think he is trying to win a cup, but oh my...how many stupid signings can a person make before he's fired?

So in order to be a true modern day Sens fan, for instance, you can't be any older than 15?
    I was born 10 years before that, but was born to be a Sens fan...cause from day 1 I have always hated the leafs!

No I’d say 20 (since a 10 year old 15 years ago is now 25) or 83 (would probably remember the original team).

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    I was born 10 years before that, but was born to be a Sens fan...cause from day 1 I have always hated the leafs!
    Yeah, but that's cuz you suck.

Yeah, but that's cuz you suck.
    thanks Buddy!

I'd agree Dave. The problems go back for several years and it will take several years to fix. Start with hiring a top notch GM and give him the power and authority to make some tough decisions.
    It all really started when Quinn became GM and coach. He did the same thing in Vancouver and ruined the team for several years trying to build a team with defencemen in his image. JF is trying his best, but was left with no prospects right from the start. He's had to try and build with nothing and that's hard to do for the best of GMs, and I'm not sure he's got the skills, knowledge and instinct to do it right.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    It all really started when Quinn became GM and coach. He did the same thing in Vancouver and ruined the team for several years trying to build a team with defencemen in his image. JF is trying his best, but was left with no prospects right from the start. He's had to try and build with nothing and that's hard to do for the best of GMs, and I'm not sure he's got the skills, knowledge and instinct to do it right.
    I wouldn't be surprised if JFJ makes regular visits to a proctologist, because all he is is ownership's hand puppet. The only reasons he's there are because of his daddy, and because he's a yes man for MLSE.

I wouldn't be surprised if JFJ makes regular visits to a proctologist, because all he is is ownership's hand puppet. The only reasons he's there are because of his daddy, and because he's a yes man for MLSE.
    I would agree with that synopsis!
    Colby

A history of Leafs futility and fan bruitality...

Let's do a little statistical analysis of the 6 Canadian teams, shall we?

Vancouver 1970-Present

Stanley Cups - 0
    Conference Championships - 2
    Division Titles - 5

Edmonton 1979-Present

Stanley Cups - 5
    Conference Championships - 7
    Division Titles - 6

Calgary 1980-Present

Stanley Cups - 1
    Conference Championships - 3
    Division Titles - 6

Montreal 1967-Present

Stanley Cups - 10
    Conference Championships - 8*
    Division Titles - 15

Ottawa 1992-Present

Stanley Cups - 0
    Conference Championships - 1
    Division Titles - 4

Toronto 1967-Present

Stanley Cups - 0
    Conference Championships - 0
    Division Titles - 1

*Conferences did not exist prior to 1974 realignment.

So, if my basic math skills are correct, every other existing Canadian team has at least 1 conference title, and at least 4 division crowns to their credit, in the last 40 years. The Leafs, on the other hand, have one measly divsion title to show for that same time period. And people wonder why I'm pissed.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

So, if my basic math skills are correct, every other existing Canadian team has at least 1 conference title, and at least 4 division crowns to their credit, in the last 40 years. The Leafs, on the other hand, have one measly divsion title to show for that same time period. And people wonder why I'm pissed.
    Could be worse if you were a Jets or Nordiques fan. Since the Ballard years ended, the Leafs have played in 3 conference championships I think. That's not too bad.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    A history of Leafs futility and fan bruitality...

Let's do a little statistical analysis of the 6 Canadian teams, shall we?

Vancouver 1970-Present

Stanley Cups - 0
    Conference Championships - 2
    Division Titles - 5

Edmonton 1979-Present

Stanley Cups - 5
    Conference Championships - 7
    Division Titles - 6

Calgary 1980-Present

Stanley Cups - 1
    Conference Championships - 3
    Division Titles - 6

Montreal 1967-Present

Stanley Cups - 10
    Conference Championships - 8*
    Division Titles - 15

Ottawa 1992-Present

Stanley Cups - 0
    Conference Championships - 1
    Division Titles - 4

Toronto 1967-Present

Stanley Cups - 0
    Conference Championships - 0
    Division Titles - 1

*Conferences did not exist prior to 1974 realignment.

Nice post.........Stats do not lie.......

Problem is MLSE do not care. They are making tons of cash $$$$

Here is why:
    The GTA has 5.5 million people, then add the rest of the population within a 2 hour drive of Toronto and you are looking at upwards of 8-9 million people. However, the great Leaf ownership along with Buffalo will continue to block any teams that would like to set up in Hamilton or Southern Ontario. They will likely continue this block forever, even if the GTA and surrounding area population grows to 15-20 million............
    Its simple economics SUPPLY AND DEMAND.......There are simply too many people in GTA and within 2 hours of T.O. that would like to watch NHL hockey, so why put any effort in improving the product........THATS IT QUITE SIMPLY !!!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Could be worse if you were a Jets or Nordiques fan. Since the Ballard years ended, the Leafs have played in 3 conference championships I think. That's not too bad.
    4 times since 1974. Lost all 4.

My math doesn't take into account the number of appearances by each team in the Conference Finals, just wins. Their numbers are probably higher for that.

Actually, if you're a Nordiques fan, and you followed the franchise to Colorado... I think you know where I'm going with this...

Bottom line is, there's only one other team that has gone longer without hoisting the mug, Chicago. The Blackhawks are the fifth option in a 5 professional team town. The Leafs, who have more money than god, are #1 of 3.

Thread Information