Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Another solid 3rd period effort.......

........by the Leafs

And another 1 game winning streak goes by the boards

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    ........by the Leafs

And another 1 game winning streak goes by the boards
    What makes it even better is Rask was a Leafs Draft Pick and JF traded him away For Raycroft! Smooooooooth JF, real smooooooth!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    What makes it even better is Rask was a Leafs Draft Pick and JF traded him away For Raycroft! Smooooooooth JF, real smooooooth!
    The Irony is quite delicious isn't it??

3 Iron guitarman is on a distinguished road guitarman's Avatar

With guys like bonehead Mcabe on D it wouldn't have made any difference. Mcabe cost one of those goals by a behind the net giveaway mistake that rookies even seldom make.
    Terry

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    And look who is only 1 point behind the Leafs.........Boston !! http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/standings

Can hear the bugle and drums play as the march continues downward to the cellar.........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I think there's a reason the leafs elected to start Toskala. They would never have heard the end of it from Leaf Nation if Rask had beat Raycroft.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Toskala earned the start by shutting out the Sens last game. Not to protect Raycroft. For the most part, Raycroft should be, in my opinion, the starting goaltender.

But I'm glad that you guys can come out and rally around the Leafs loss better than you can any of your own teams wins. Then when the Leafs beat the Sens, all I can hear is crickets on the board.

Really weak

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    Toskala earned the start by shutting out the Sens last game. Not to protect Raycroft. For the most part, Raycroft should be, in my opinion, the starting goaltender.

But I'm glad that you guys can come out and rally around the Leafs loss better than you can any of your own teams wins. Then when the Leafs beat the Sens, all I can hear is crickets on the board.

Really weak

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Only one comment:

16-3 Baby.............16-3..........!!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    And look who is only 1 point behind the Leafs.........Boston !! http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/standings

Can hear the bugle and drums play as the march continues downward to the cellar.........
    *CORRECTION*

Standings are now updated to include tonights game.
    Leafs now 1 point behind Boston and only 4 points in front of last place Buffalo.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/standings

Check out Toronto's 78 goals against which are leading the entire league.
    Next closest is Atlanta at 69........

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

Really weak

Fallys
    aka Scott
    wasn't it Raycroft who got to rest after he had a shut-out earlier in the season?? Gotta love when the leafs lose, but trust me i much prefer the Sens winning, as the leafs don't figure into any concerns of the Sens.

Also the only thing that is "really weak" would be the leafs d-men and their 3rd period performance!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Really weak

Fallys
    aka Scott
    It doesn't matter who our starter is. We could have Kiprusoff in there and it wouldn't make a difference. No goalie can absorb that many quality chances against, night after night. Our problem is a BRUITAL, and pourous defensive corps. Guys like Kaberle and White are completely handcuffed by having to take on too much responsibilty in their own end because of the incompetence of Gill, McCabe, Kubina, etc. They can't jump into the play because they're worried about having to cover too much ground going back to cover their partner's ass.

A good goalie is meant to steal the occasional game (which is what they have both done this year), not to be relied upon to win the majority of them right from the start of the season. Poor defensive play over an extended period of time will destroy the confidence of any goalkeeper.

Without a significant change on the blueline (demotion, trade, act of God, etc.) we are destined to be no better than .500, and probably much worse. We have no problem scoring goals. We do have a huge problem stopping them.

Every great goaltender who has ever hoisted a Stanley Cup has had a better than average defence in front of him.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    It doesn't matter who our starter is. We could have Kiprusoff in there and it wouldn't make a difference. No goalie can absorb that many quality chances against, night after night. Our problem is a BRUITAL, and pourous defensive corps. Guys like Kaberle and White are completely handcuffed by having to take on too much responsibilty in their own end because of the incompetence of Gill, McCabe, Kubina, etc. They can't jump into the play because they're worried about having to cover too much ground going back to cover their partner's ass.

A good goalie is meant to steal the occasional game (which is what they have both done this year), not to be relied upon to win the majority of them right from the start of the season. Poor defensive play over an extended period of time will destroy the confidence of any goalkeeper.

Without a significant change on the blueline (demotion, trade, act of God, etc.) we are destined to be no better than .500, and probably much worse. We have no problem scoring goals. We do have a huge problem stopping them.

Every great goaltender who has ever hoisted a Stanley Cup has had a better than average defence in front of him.
    Well said. Yes, goaltending is not the problem.It all starts in the front office, and with Ownership (MLSE).

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    as the leafs don't figure into any concerns of the Sens.
    On the contrary, if the Leafs are in 8th place and the Sens are in first place, that should be cause for a lot of concern for the Sens. I don't need to remind you of what history has suggested when these two met in the playoffs.

I know, you're going to say Toronto won't make the playoffs...keep praying that they don't!

Goaltending is a part of the problem. Toskala is consistently inconsistent in his positioning where I don't notice the same issues in Raycroft. I'd play Raycroft more frequently if I were behind the bench. I have a greater confidence in his abilities. His stats may not show it, but when you're getting pounded, how can they?

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    oh man, these posts used to get 1 or two replies but with TNG going to way they are, we could have a 4 page thread every time the leafs lose! haha

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    On the contrary, if the Leafs are in 8th place and the Sens are in first place, that should be cause for a lot of concern for the Sens. I don't need to remind you of what history has suggested when these two met in the playoffs.

I know, you're going to say Toronto won't make the playoffs...keep praying that they don't!

Goaltending is a part of the problem. Toskala is consistently inconsistent in his positioning where I don't notice the same issues in Raycroft. I'd play Raycroft more frequently if I were behind the bench. I have a greater confidence in his abilities. His stats may not show it, but when you're getting pounded, how can they?

Fally
    aka Scott
    If we somehow miraculously make the playoffs this year, I can guarantee that if it's with the same lineup we have now, the last team we want to see is Ottawa. We will get destroyed. This Sens team is nothing like the ones we beat before. That 3-0 win last weekend was a mirage. Sure, we played a decent game and deserved to win, but by the same token, Ottawa didn't show up. Our "A" game right now is nothing close to theirs.

And no, I am not a Sens fan. I am a realist. You can't help but be a bit jealous of Ottawa's success over the last 10 years, especially when measured against the Leafs. They have built a great team in a short period of time, even while almost going broke in the process. The only thing that has gotten any better for Toronto is the owner's bank accounts, at the expense of loyal fans.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Big Shooter
    No problem, I'm off The Leafs bandwagon (for now)
    ....hmmm, let's see, is there another team I could adopt in the interim...

....maybe the San Thomas (St. Jose)SHARKS!?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post

OK listen up Big Shooter. I can get you on the Sharks Bandwagon but it will cost you. Asking price would be a round of golf at one of your high end Centre of The Universe courses next summer A cheap price to pay IMO and I still have some SHARKS BUMPER STICKERS!

This says it all right here, taken from the press this morning.

By stopping 29 of the 31 shots he faced in his NHL debut, Rask, 20, hoped to send a message to the Leafs, the team that drafted him 21st overall in the 2005 entry draft, then traded him to the Bruins for Andrew Raycroft one year later.
    "This is really sweet," said a beaming Rask. "This means a lot. It was fun to play and show (the Leafs) I can play at this level."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post

there was a leafs bandwagon?? I know there are the numerous hopeless leaf fans who just can't help it, as it was how they were brought up, but a bandwagon...

Fally
    aka Scott
    do you belong to a hockey religion where Bill Watters is your leader??? Are you trying to say the Sens should be worried because the leafs beat them in the playoffs 5 years ago? I gotta hand it to you, you bleed blue and white. Look out Vancouver Millionaires if we face you in the playoffs, we OWNED you in the 1920's!!! Sorry, just thought i would attempt to match your relevancy of the above post!

Lets see, the last time the leafs beat the Sens in the playoffs, they had Belfour, Leetch, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Francis, Nolan and Mogilny! But i can see the comparison, as they now instead have Toskala, Kubina, Steen, Wellwood, Antropov, Pokahontas etc... I can see how you can believe the current team is similar to the 03-04 team...

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    there was a leafs bandwagon?? I know there are the numerous hopeless leaf fans who just can't help it, as it was how they were brought up, but a bandwagon...

The wagon size has been reduced to a Red Flyer

Lob Wedge LITR is on a distinguished road
    The wagon size has been reduced to a Red Flyer
    Hey Rick! FYI, LITR= leftintherough (Steve).

At least its not a skate board! (at the moment anyway).

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    What a refreshing and honest post from a Leaf fan.
    If we somehow miraculously make the playoffs this year, I can guarantee that if it's with the same lineup we have now, the last team we want to see is Ottawa. We will get destroyed. This Sens team is nothing like the ones we beat before. That 3-0 win last weekend was a mirage. Sure, we played a decent game and deserved to win, but by the same token, Ottawa didn't show up. Our "A" game right now is nothing close to theirs.

And no, I am not a Sens fan. I am a realist. You can't help but be a bit jealous of Ottawa's success over the last 10 years, especially when measured against the Leafs. They have built a great team in a short period of time, even while almost going broke in the process. The only thing that has gotten any better for Toronto is the owner's bank accounts, at the expense of loyal fans.

Quote Originally Posted by LITR View Post
    Hey Rick! FYI, LITR= leftintherough (Steve).

At least its not a skate board! (at the moment anyway).
    Oh I know who you are Steve. In fact I know most of the ones who are running to the East! Seems to be a lot of people leaving "The Centre Of The Universe" over the past 5-7 days. Is the pollution that bad there?

By Christmas all that might be needed is a skateboard.

Agreed. I would rather wait till the team is a little stronger before they again meet the Sens in the playoffs so that the leafs could continue tradition.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
    Agreed. I would rather wait till the team is a little stronger before they again meet the Sens in the playoffs so that the leafs could continue tradition.
    That team will not be getting any "STRONGER" while JF is running the show from his press box. You saw one of his trades last night, in net for the Bruins! Where was the goalie traded RASK for? Oh right, riding the pine!

Tradition? Traditon what? Last Cup win 40 years ago then celebrating it last season? Is that the new tradition? Every 40 years the Leafs will celebrate the 1967 Cup Win?

BTW I can really tell that the fans in Toronto are truly into the game. 4-5 minutes after the period starts half the seats in the bottom section of ACC are still empty. Beer lines that long up there? Or is it a lack of interest?

BTW I can really tell that the fans in Toronto are truly into the game. 4-5 minutes after the period starts half the seats in the bottom section of ACC are still empty. Beer lines that long up there? Or is it a lack of interest?

I guess the leafs are like a really ugly girl in a bar. You have to be drunk to appreciate them.
    Terry

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Tradition? Traditon what? Last Cup win 40 years ago then celebrating it last season? Is that the new tradition? Every 40 years the Leafs will celebrate the 1967 Cup Win?
    I still say expansion team fans shouldn't get to use the 67 cup jibes until they win one themselves. How many cups have the Sharks won? Or the Sens?

Us Habs fans on the other hand...actually we need a few hands to count all the cups we've won since '67, even with a 14 year dry spell.

Us Habs fans on the other hand...actually we need a few hands to count all the cups we've won since '67, even with a 14 year dry spell
    Yup the Habs have won alot of cups but what have they done for ya lately?
    Terry

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I still say expansion team fans shouldn't get to use the 67 cup jibes until they win one themselves. How many cups have the Sharks won? Or the Sens?

Us Habs fans on the other hand...actually we need a few hands to count all the cups we've won since '67, even with a 14 year dry spell.
    Don't worry. You will have lots of time to count them in the spring while Habs are golfing and the Sens are playing for the cup again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    What a refreshing and honest post from a Leaf fan.
    Pretty sad ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
    That's the problem. We have this attitude that we get into the playoffs solely to spoil someone else's party, only to get smoked in the next round. We should want it to be our party. I'm sick and tired of a team that's held together by "spit and baling wire". The Leafs are an Original Six team, and one of the richest franchises in all of sports. Doesn't it piss you off that we're barely able to keep the wheels on the bus, year after year? It's disgusting. We need to demand change!

Thread Information