Finding a similar shaft based on these specs

What do the following numbers all mean?

LOW WEIGHT - 74
    TIP FLEX - 26
    MOP FLEX - 7.5
    TORQUE - 3.4
    CPM - 274
    Tip - PARALLEL TIP LENGTH 4.0

I know flex is based on CPM but I was also told it goes by a scale. I was told am supposed to be tipped to 5.3, does that correspond to an exact CPM? Is that the same as butt flex? If so, I still dont' know what it is just that it means someone else LOL

Basically what I'm trying to do is find a cheaper shaft with very similar specs. A friend was fitting for a shaft and asked me to find him something similar. The club fitter said he would have no problem installing the other shaft as well, he just doesn't carry them

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Will need to know the clubs head weight and length
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    weight is 198g and length of the club is 44.5"

what does that make a difference? Chris, can you give me a good link where I can read into shaft fitting and what the numbers mean as well? Thanks

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Hireko has continued to publish the DSFI information that Dynacraft started. Have fun reading.

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/gra...ftfitting.html
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Hireko has continued to publish the DSFI information that Dynacraft started. Have fun reading.

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/gra...ftfitting.html

Thats a bit on the heavy side for me? No "how to pick a shaft for dummies"

I mean, my boy already paid for the fitting, just wants a cheaper option that he can get from third party (ebay). I was just curious as to what the numbers meant, thats a lot of reading!!! hahaha but i guess I did ask for the link

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I thought you were smart?

Just whip together a perl script to parse the raw data and spit it out into a format that you can import into Excel which you can then sort twelve ways from Sunday.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I was looking for light reading. I'm crunching numbers almost 14 hours a day I kill myself to try to make time for my hockey, football, ottawagolf and my TV show marathon on sunday

No way I have time to sort though all that.

SImple question, this will go a long way to helping me

Are these two shafts similar enough? Assume both eventually have to be tipped to a 5.3 (someone said in a previous that it is a messure of stiffness on a certain scale)

Weight 76
    Tourque - 2.2
    Tip parallel - 4.0"
    Butt flex - 253
    Mid Flex - 6.3
    Tip flex - 26

Weight 64
    Tourque - 2.9
    Tip parallel - 4.0"
    CPM - 256
    MOP - 6.7
    Tip flex - 25

Are CPM and Butt flex the same thing?
    Are MOP and mid flex the same thing?

If #2 is the shaft that ws recommended by the fitter, is there anything that can be done to shaft 1 to make it more like shaft two. THese numbers look pretty close to me tip flex, butt flex.. but I could be way off.

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    cpm is often measured by different companies in different ways ( different clamping length) so unless you know how they did it you cannot compare them.

it is very hard to compare two shafts without doing a complete zone profile on them as well as a torque measurement.

torque also has no standard way to be measured btn companies so you cannot compare torque that they publish.

furthermore most companies publish torque ratings that are much lower than their shafts actually have........

Accra is one of the exceptions...low torque means low torque with them.

if you list the names of the two shafts that you are trying to compare or the shaft that you are trying to match to ,aybe some of us with profile info can help???

keeping in mind that even the same shaft can and most often will play differently in different heads

actually I just talked to the boyz, they are going to bite the bullet and buy the exact shafts recommended to them from the builders. I told them there is a reason he picked those shafts for them and to go with them. Its not worth trying to save a 50-75 and go with something similar when you can ante up and get exactly what you were told to get

Thanks for the info though. The two shafts were the accra t60 m3 (would have to be tipped) and the v2 reg flex

Birdie Weirfan is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    actually I just talked to the boyz, they are going to bite the bullet and buy the exact shafts recommended to them from the builders. I told them there is a reason he picked those shafts for them and to go with them. Its not worth trying to save a 50-75 and go with something similar when you can ante up and get exactly what you were told to get

Thanks for the info though. The two shafts were the accra t60 m3 (would have to be tipped) and the v2 reg flex

the Accra t60 and the UST V2 75 are very different shafts....Accra's torque will be what they say...UST greatly undderstate theirs.

you are also looking at a 15 gram differential in weight between these two and a differnce in the shaft design profile so they are not close at all

Accra make excellent shafts and there are likely shafts that would be cheaper that perform similarly that I could suggest but if your fitter is recommending one , they should exchange it for free if it does not work out....make sure that you chek that with them.

the t60 m3 is a soft feeling shaft that my wife has used and loved so I hope that if it goes in a mans driver that they have a realtively slow , smooth and non agressive swing speed

sorry, I mean m4 his swing is pretty smooth, not choppy at all. Thanks for all your help. They are going to buy the exact shaft specified

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    What do the following numbers all mean?

LOW WEIGHT - 74
    TIP FLEX - 26
    MOP FLEX - 7.5
    TORQUE - 3.4
    CPM - 274

I know flex is based on CPM but I was also told it goes by a scale. I was told am supposed to be tipped to 5.3, does that correspond to an exact CPM? Is that the same as butt flex? If so, I still dont' know what it is just that it means someone else LOL

Basically what I'm trying to do is find a cheaper shaft with very similar specs. A friend was fitting for a shaft and asked me to find him something similar. The club fitter said he would have no problem installing the other shaft as well, he just doesn't carry them
    those numbers seem good to compare to a Accra Tour 70.

LOW WEIGHT - 71
    TIP FLEX - 28
    MOP FLEX - 7.1
    TORQUE - 2.9
    CPM - 271

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post

LOW WEIGHT - 71
    TIP FLEX - 28
    MOP FLEX - 7.1
    TORQUE - 2.9
    CPM - 271

what shaft is that? Everything seems pretty darn close. A bit stiffer so it might not even have to be tipped.

A little off topic but I picked up a tour platform really cheap... stiff. WHere could I find the sepcs for it? I googled it but all I am getting are ebay links

thanks

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    what shaft is that? Everything seems pretty darn close. A bit stiffer so it might not even have to be tipped.

A little off topic but I picked up a tour platform really cheap... stiff. WHere could I find the sepcs for it? I googled it but all I am getting are ebay links

thanks

www.fujikuragolf.com
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

thanks
    that shaft would be the Accra Tour 70

http://accragolf.com/2006-ACCRATOURbrochure.pdf

for the fuji, go to the site Geoff posted before, then click on products, Fit On E and they are at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post

LOW WEIGHT - 71
    TIP FLEX - 28
    MOP FLEX - 7.1
    TORQUE - 2.9
    CPM - 271

Just curious how the Lower MOP and the lower torque would effect the ball. Any idea?

Thread Information