100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: water hazard

Putter Matt is on a distinguished road

water hazard

Just wondering the ruling on this scenario. Happened to me on the par 3 at Emerald Links.

My t-shot flies the water and fades back into it after crossing land in flight. The ball flies along and over most of the water and a small peninsula of land (30 ft long) ,but, the ball never touched land before entering the water. Do you:
    A) Shoot three from the Tee
    B) Shoot three from the peninsula of land (no closer to the tee)
    C) A rule I am unaware of

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I think you have several options...

1. Play it as it lies (may require a snorkel and flippers though), or
    2. Hit your third from the tee, or
    3. If Yellow stakes (water hazard), drop the ball on the line from the hole, passing through the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and no closer to the hole and keeping the point wher the ball crossed the hazrd in front of you. or
    4. If Red stakes (lateral hazrd), you can any of the above or you can drop the ball within 2 clublengths of the point where the ball crossed the hazard no closer to the hole. Additionally you can also drop the ball within 2 clublengths of a point on the other side of the hazard equidistant from the hole as the point where the ball crossed the marggin of the hazard - all no closer to the hole of course.

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    I think you have several options...

1. Play it as it lies (may require a snorkel and flippers though), or
    2. Hit your third from the tee, or
    3. If Yellow stakes (water hazard), drop the ball on the line from the hole, passing through the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and no closer to the hole and keeping the point wher the ball crossed the hazrd in front of you. or
    4. If Red stakes (lateral hazrd), you can any of the above or you can drop the ball within 2 clublengths of the point where the ball crossed the hazard no closer to the hole. Additionally you can also drop the ball within 2 clublengths of a point on the other side of the hazard equidistant from the hole as the point where the ball crossed the marggin of the hazard - all no closer to the hole of course.

Hey PL I think you left out a couple of key words in an otherwise good explanation. Para 3 should say drop the ball behind the hazard ... and for both paras 3 a 4 should be where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard.

So I would guess he could (for yellow) swim, play from the tee or play a drop behind the hazard on a line with where the ball last crossed the margin.

For red stakes I would say the above or drop on the penninsula provided the penninsula is not marked as in the hazard.

Of course all choices (except swim) would result in the requisite penalty stroke.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    If a ball is in or is lost in a water hazard, you may under penalty of one stroke:

1. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played; or

2. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped.

3. If the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

Thread Information