CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Mystic in Ancaster - Anyone play it?

I live in the Hamilton area and due to my mass amounts of golf I play (90+ rounds/year), I like to have a membership. I've been a member at King's Forest the last couple years, and I do really like it. That said, it could be a hell of a lot nicer, and my biggest complaint is moderately slow greens most of the year (plus slow play can be a pig too).

I've recently been intrigued with getting a membership at Mystic Golf course in Ancaster. Unfortunately, I've never played it. So it seems like a crazy thing to do, to buy a membership somewhere without ever playing there. BUT, they have 2008 memberships at good rates, effective until December 1st, 2007. Of particular interest is the fact they have an "Intermediate" membership for ages 26-35 for $1800 including taxes (36 years and older for 7 day unlimited is $2300). The intermediate is 7 day unlimited as well.

I'd join Kings again, especially since I know quite a few people there, and my golfing buddies are members there. But the membership will be around $1700 taxes in next year. So for $100 more, I can play Mystic..... but I've never played Mystic before!!!!!!!

Who's played it? What do you like/dislike? Is a cart mandatory? I understand they don't have a clubhouse, and there's a few details unfinished, but they have a fabulous range. I hear the course is demanding and very penal.

And what's your opinion on the membership. Do I gas my buddies and go on my own to Mystic simply for a better/quality golfing experience for virtually the same price?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Have a look at this thread in the London forum

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ewpost&t=12755

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    do a search on TGN. There are about a million threads on it. It's now part of Golf North.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I had the pleasure of playing Mystic and it was fantastic! The practice facitilties are outstanding and when I played the course it was in TOP shape. If I lived in the area I would jump on a membership for that price. Hope this helps. It is a very demanding course that has many places to get yourself into trouble.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Big Shooter
    Beware of #10, easily one of the most loved/hated holes in Ontario!!! (I love it!)

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i really like the course, and am considering getting a membo there next year if i am still living in the area. Carts are mandatory i believe, but i think a cart membo is like $500 for the year, not too bad. I think the course is one of the more challenging courses, even for the lower caps, which i really enjoy. I know the intermediate is a great rate, as i am in the same category. Not only that, but you get the rest of the courses in the Golf North group, which i believe just acquired Grey Silo in Waterloo which is another gem.

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    I've done a fair bit more research over at TGN.
    I've found out that carts are now mandatory. They weren't until Golf North took over the course, but since then, for pace of play reasons, it's now mandatory. They sell an annual cart package for $695 (or $14/time). Realistically, that drives the membership up to $2500 (and that's only the Intermediate membership, no less - the "over 35" fee would come to $3000).

The other thing that cheeses me off a bit is the fact the range is not included in the membership. Just seems like a cash grab. And they include the range in the regular green fees.

The other problem is that the regular rate at Mystic on a weekend is $90. Realistically, none of my existing golfing buddies are going to spend more than 60-$75 (depending on whether they get a cart or not). $90 is just too much money (at least for me). I know if one of my buddies had the membership at Mystic, I might go once in a summer at $90 just to play it.

The reciprocal play would be nice, so you'd have a little bit of variety. I'd take advantage of Paris Grand, and Grey Silo (and Conestoga since it's close to the in-laws cottage)

Anyhow, I'm a little less inclined than the contrary right now.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    mandatory carts stink. I love the walk and the only time I use a cart is in Myrtle, since you need somewhere to put all the beer.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Big Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    mandatory carts stink. I love the walk and the only time I use a cart is in Myrtle, since you need somewhere to put all the beer.
    Mystic is one of those courses that CARTS are necessary....
    ...ironically (except for the brewskis), Myrtle is NOT!!!

Putter whogerfello is on a distinguished road
    It's a very long and hilly course, so mandatory carts are probably a good idea. It does add a cost to each round though. I agree about the range. It's a cash grab. However, there is no comparing the actual course to King's. I think Mystic is much better (but that's just my opinion). King's isn't the easiest course out there, but bad shots don't hurt as much as Mystic. If you are all over the place and join Mystic, factor in the price of a couple extra balls as well. Finally, the pace of play has always been great at Mystic, but it may slow down a bit if they've sold a lot of memberships.

As far as the clubhouse, there is still just a house trailer with a deck. Hopfully they'll upgrade it soon, but I asked last year and the staff didn't know.

It's opening in about a week, so if you haven't bought Kings yet, check Mystic out.

Oh ya, it's now $750 for a yearly cart membership.
    Last edited by whogerfello; 04-10-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: please read the forum rules

Thread Information