100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Recommendation for a good mechanic

Looking to stop using the dealership for maintenance on my Jetta. Service is good but the prices are getting stupid (100$/hr) for labour

Anyone have a recommendation for a good mechanic out there? Looking for something relatively central (downtown-overbrook-elmvale-old ottawa south-bronson-parkdale-civic hospital areas).

If you can provide observations on why you recommend them as well that would be great (price, overall service satisfaction, hours, availability etc)

Thanks.

Garth

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Looking to stop using the dealership for maintenance on my Jetta. Service is good but the prices are getting stupid (100$/hr) for labour

Anyone have a recommendation for a good mechanic out there? Looking for something relatively central (downtown-overbrook-elmvale-old ottawa south-bronson-parkdale-civic hospital areas).

If you can provide observations on why you recommend them as well that would be great (price, overall service satisfaction, hours, availability etc)

Thanks.

Garth
    I use Bourk's Automotive

http://www.bourks.com/

They are as honest as the day is long and have treated me very, very well over the years.

The last 4 times I taken my car in for an oil change I've had them check the brakes because I thought I might have needed new pads, ALL FOUR TIMES they told me that I had plenty of break pad left, this is after I've said that I thought I needed new pads - most other places would have just gone ahead with a break job because I thought that I needed one.

Just last week I needed a gasket replaced on my car. They did the job but when they finished and were doing a coolant flush the car quit and refused to start. They eventually discovered that the new gasket had failed - I was only charged the original quoted price for the job (as one would expect) AND they rented me a car for the weekend because they didn't want to inconvenience me.

I can't recommend them enough

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    You mean to say there are good mechanics left? I thought they were all "replace first--fix as a last resort" In regards to Garth--he is right on--these guys know what they are doing--been in business since the Model T
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar

Thank you....

Thanks for the Bourk's reccomendation, I just got quoted for labour and they were way cheaper than other name brand places. I just saved 2 Robert Bordens!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidou View Post
    Thanks for the Bourk's reccomendation, I just got quoted for labour and they were way cheaper than other name brand places. I just saved 2 Robert Bordens!
    Awesome!!

Thread Information