CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metcalfe

Pitching Wedge Cedric is on a distinguished road

Metcalfe

Anyone played Metcalfe lately? Course conditions? thanks

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Played it last week. Fairways were fine, greens were nice but a little slow (which is normal for Metcalfe). They had aerated and top-dressed the greens on 10, 11 and 12 - all the others were fine.

As an aside, we are coming up to the time of the season where courses are aerating the greens. I think I prefer the Metcalfe strategy of only doing 3 or 4 holes at a time spread out over a longer period of time. The course gets to do the maintenance work that needs to be done, and it doesn't ruin your entire round.

Since I book most of my rounds online, I'm never warned about aerated greens and I always feel cheated when I show up at a course and find out that ALL the greens have been punched and are covered with sand. It basically eliminates putting from your game.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    As an aside, we are coming up to the time of the season where courses are aerating the greens. I think I prefer the Metcalfe strategy
    I'm rather impressed with the Greensmere strategy. They don't do all the greens at once, but the do them all sequentially so you'll see most of them aerated at about the same time.

In any case, Greensmere has a new aerating tool. It makes smaller holes and makes them in a more zigzag pattern. You'll find that after aerating, the greens are not significantly different to putt. Of course you don't want to have to mark your ball in a hole, but other than that, they putt very similarly to the way they do prior to aerating.

Give it a go. I bet this catches on.

my 0.02
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    In any case, Greensmere has a new aerating tool. It makes smaller holes and makes them in a more zigzag pattern. You'll find that after aerating, the greens are not significantly different to putt.
    The above method of aeration is a short term solution to a temporary problem, however, it is not healthy for the long term benefit of the plant.

One major problem is compaction. Aeration, where plugs are removed, "opens" up the green and allows water, oxygen and the required nutrients to get to the roots and also allows excess water to drain away. Just look at #1 to some extent and #9 and #10 greens at Greensmere to see what poor drainage does to the putting surface. The remainder of the greens are well drained and great to putt on.

When Rivermead was rebuilt, the greens were originally very surface hard, where even the old Tour balatas would not stop on the greens. Now, with frequent aerations and top dressings, the greens hold beautifully.

If greens are aerated properly with appropriate top dressing, watering and cutting to follow, they frequently putt better after than before.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natgolfer
    If greens are aerated properly with appropriate top dressing, watering and cutting to follow, they frequently putt better after than before.
    Perhaps it's my fault for being unclear.

I meant immediately after aerating - within hours and days, as opposed to waiting for large holes to grow back in.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Thread Information