100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: The biggest advance in modern equipment is...

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metal Woods

19 29.23%
  • Titanium

4 6.15%
  • Cavity Back Irons

7 10.77%
  • Hybrids

7 10.77%
  • Multi-Layer Golf Ball

16 24.62%
  • Urethane Cover

2 3.08%
  • Dupont Surlyn

0 0%
  • Steel Shafts

2 3.08%
  • Graphite Shafts

1 1.54%
  • GPS

1 1.54%
  • Laser Range Finders

0 0%
  • Larger Clubheads

2 3.08%
  • Higher MOI

0 0%
  • Putter Design

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

4 6.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Question Greatest advance in modern golf

There have been so many advances in modern golf. What's your pick for the biggest?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    The poll is only letting you choose one option Rich.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Dang it! Thanks Geoff. I can't change it...

One choice I guess...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Dang it! Thanks Geoff. I can't change it...

One choice I guess...

No worries, I voted golf ball anyways.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    I also said that the golf ball is probably the biggest advance in modern golf. The Drivers are pretty close too though.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    gotta think for the average person it is cavity back irons. even with an older ball, etc. these have made the game so much easier for the regular joe.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    The ball

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Damm--I voted for GPS but I think I should have voted for ball----"Do you know how long it's been since I've seen a ball with an honest to goodness smile?"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    I have a couple persimmon woods and cant hit those things 230 with a new nike one black. but average 280 with my driver now...I say metal woods!

but have never tried an old balata ball with new technology.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I voted other. I think one of the biggest advances is the use/availability of cameras/videos/computers to analyze swings. I think it's led to a vast improvement in the quality of golf played by many golfers

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    From learning to play with hand-me-down blades, then finally , someone had the sense to invent cavity backs , that gets my vote !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    hybrids, started four years ago and didn't need to learn how to hit long & mid irons.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Perhaps as big as any of the items on the poll is the overall conditioning of golf courses and the more extensive use of bent grass. Bent, cut to run 10+ on the stimpmeter allows us to make many more putts than one could ever dream of in days gone by, and fairways cut short reduces the flier lies that were standard one time. Tight fairways allows us much better distance control.

Looking back when I joined Outaouais in the early 60's, the greens were probably running at 4 or 5 at the most and the fairways were so long that the ball was always nestled down in the grass. Good course grooming adds so much to the enjoyment of the game.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    The driver started the tech boom IMO.........its the Granddaddy of em all

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I voted ball.

Your vote is somewhat age dependant. I'm older than many on this site, but I only played one season with wooden woods so I don't consider metal woods modern.

Some of our old timers probably consider the gutta-percha modern.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I voted other. I think one of the biggest advances is the use/availability of cameras/videos/computers to analyze swings. I think it's led to a vast improvement in the quality of golf played by many golfers
    I wonder why the average score hasn't gone down in nearly 20 years?

I wanted to vote for the Ti Driver so picked Driver over Titanium.
    Kind regards, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Perhaps as big as any of the items on the poll is the overall conditioning of golf courses and the more extensive use of bent grass.
    Hi BC MIST

I had a 19-year old girl from AL, USA fly in to K-W airport so we could work together and get his clubs tuned up for NCAA Division I play. She thought I was bs'en her on the drive back from the airport when I told her our range and course is a 9-hole cow pasture. She travelled over 1,000 miles one way for me to help her.

When we arrived at my home course we immediately went to the range. Noticing the grass on the hitting area was not cut in a couple of week, I seen the course superintendent coming in with the mower. I kindly asked if he would cut 1 swath with the mower so she could hit balls. He looked at me like I was out of my mind but obliged and cut 1 path. She proceeded to hit balls and the grass just cut was still over 2 inches long, with the surrounding range hitting area at over 4+ inches.

She turned to me and said Harry I though you were exerating about your cow pasture but back home in New Zealand we have animal grazing areas with less grass then I am hitting off of right now. We both had a good laugh.

Our range was pathetic, along with the above problems, I don't think they fixed a single divot all season and never watered the area since they would have to run a garden hose to reach it. Then they wonder why our club develops few good players.

When the girl got back to Alabama she had 2 NCAA tournaments left. She was no. 4 of 5 on her team, but finished in the no. 2 spot to finish off the fall season. Worth the long trip.
    Kind regards, Harry

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ View Post
    I wonder why the average score hasn't gone down in nearly 20 years?

I wanted to vote for the Ti Driver so picked Driver over Titanium.

I would say that is a result of the massive increase in weekend golfers. I think its just a lot easier these days for people to see a good swing, and see what's wrong with theirs. Certainly not everyone takes advantage of that. But, I think being able to do something as simple as slow down a good swing and look at exactly where their hands are at critical times is a massive advantage that we have over golfers from 20 years ago.

I would say that is a result of the massive increase in weekend golfers. I think its just a lot easier these days for people to see a good swing, and see what's wrong with theirs. Certainly not everyone takes advantage of that. But, I think being able to do something as simple as slow down a good swing and look at exactly where their hands are at critical times is a massive advantage that we have over golfers from 20 years ago.
    Yes I agree but I do not think many take advantage of this advanced video technology. They would rather have a new driver and look the part, rather than learn how to swing.

When I was picking and alternating coaches for my son I never took him to someone who needed video to see his faults. He wasn't taped until his 8th year of play. His last coach [R. Akins coach to D. Toms] told him his 2 swing faults by watching only 2 swings. I think video is great for the golfer so s/he can say "do I look like that" ... this wakes them up to their own reality. I think too many coaches rely on video, but the real great coaches can see it in their minds-eye frame by frame in slow motion, without the use of any adv. technology.
    Kind regards, Harry

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    I dunno, but I figure hitting one of these with my Callaway would not be a pretty sight.

I vote golf ball.
    I golf therfore I swear

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I would say the tech. used to custom fit people. Its amazing how different a custom set of clubs feels compared to something bought off the shelf which is I guess has to do with the new shafts, heads and balls I win

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    There have been so many advances in modern golf. What's your pick for the biggest?
    The term 'modern' is relative to how old you are. Ask a teenager who golfs and
    s/he is thinking the last 5 years. As a senior and s/he is thinking in the last 50 years.
    Kind regards, Harry

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Can I vote for Gulbis' legs?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    They were filming the swing back in Bobby Jones prime. So I would not say that is the biggest advancement in golf. Of course there were no portable laptops to load the swing video onto and then check it out. But golfers seemed to get along just fine without that.

I tend to say, for the average amateur golfer that the invention of the metal wood, CB irons, Hybrids, wedges, and the advancement of the golf ball have been the biggest boost.

I started playing golf with laminated and persimmon drivers and fairway woods. Muscle back or blade irons and only one wedge, a PW. Now you have so many different wedges on the market that there is one for almost every yardage you might encounter. Back in the "OLD DAYS" we had to manufacture shots with the PW. Maybe, you had a SW, maybe.

I took my old laminated driver out to the range one day this past summer. Trust me, hitting balls with it was not quite as easy as it was with the Cobra Comp I own. My buddy who is a decent player could hardly get the ball in the air with that old driver!

Have you ever tried hitting one of those old 100 compression balls? Or a wood driver? Heck the 5 woods on the market today have bigger heads than the old wood drivers.

Yes it is nice to be able to tear down your swing on a computer screen. But how many amateur players actually do that? A small percentage I would tend to think. I know I have never had that done.

But we have all bought new drivers to gain a few yards, CB Irons to gain accuracy, hybrids to get rid of those dreaded long irons (I chuckled when I read that Mcgoo has never hit a long iron! He doesn't know what he is missing ) We've bought PRO V's at $60/dozen because they spin more and fly further. We have bought a new putter because the ball rolls off it better.

So I would say the advancement of the clubs and balls is the big thing in golf. You just can not narrow it down to one item. It is a combination of equipment.

Hey Chi Chi once said "I hit it further now at the age of 60 than I did when I was 30. It is the equipment that allows me to do that"

I do agree with the statement Harry made though. With all the advancement in equipment why has the average handicap not come down much in the past 20 years?

Is it because we can hit it further but not always straighter? Or is it because the trees are a lot bigger on the course now than they were twenty years ago?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I'd say that it has to be the driver. This club was once the toughest club to hit in golf, apparently. With the size and forgiveness of some of the drivers today - it has to be the greatest advancement. Although, the ball does fly much further now, as well.

When you hear alot of pro's today though, they credit so much of their new found success to equipment. It makes them better.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The clubs and balls have been a huge boost to golfers. The clubs are more forgiving for the average player and the balls fly much straighter (especially in the wind) and are lot longer than the old balata balls. Also, the science of golf course agronomy has advanced by leaps and bounds. As a result, fairways can be cut much tighter resulting in "faster" fairways which, in turn, has contributed to longer distances off the tee. Greens are much smoother and faster than they ever were making putting a more predictable exercise. Believe it or not, the game has become easier to play than it ever was.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ View Post
    The term 'modern' is relative to how old you are. Ask a teenager who golfs and
    s/he is thinking the last 5 years. As a senior and s/he is thinking in the last 50 years.
    In my mind, with regard to equipment, the moden era of golf began with the USGA accepting the use of steel shafts in 1926. More than likely before both our times.

Lob Wedge landlord is on a distinguished road
    I'm too new to vote in the poll, but Lee Trevino's answer to this question used to be "the lawnmower."

More recently, I'd have to say the ball.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Tiger ... THE "poster child" for longer is better.
    Back at it.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Equipment improvements that have had the greatest effect on scores depends on your level of play. IMO 460 cc drivers for the high handicapper & long putters for the scratch player are the biggest improvements. Outlaw the long-putter!!!
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Thread Information