CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread

Thread: PCS question

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

PCS question

How long can you host the PCS logo if you are no longer a member?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    When I was a pro photographer I had a membership in the Professional Photographers of Ontario (and Quebec) along with accreditations. Once a member left the association they we were not allowed to use the logo or the accreditation at all.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

What if they did?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Found out the answer:

The PCS Logo Rules of Use specify that the PCS Logo MUST appear with the certified person's name and their certification level - like on the bottom of our home page - however you will see it used all the time without anything other than the logo.

So this alone does not cut it:

Mahatma Gandhi

Pitching Wedge sammypvt is on a distinguished road sammypvt's Avatar
    what is this thread all about, who is the question to.

Quote Originally Posted by sammypvt View Post
    what is this thread all about, who is the question to.

It means that a lot of folks out there are using the logo on their website when in fact they don't have the right to. If you have passed the certification or were a member at one point you are allowed to post a copy of your certification. If one is no longer a member then the PCS logo should be removed from their website.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    It means that a lot of folks out there are using the logo on their website when in fact they don't have the right to. If you have passed the certification or were a member at one point you are allowed to post a copy of your certification. If one is no longer a member then the PCS logo should be removed from their website.

Not sure why this interests you so much. You are a hobbyist, what relevance does this have to you? And if you are concerned with someone posting credentials, why not take it up with them personally? Why air this out in a public forum? Perhaps they aren't aware of the length of time they are allowed to post a simple logo. Could just be an honest mistake.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    People make decisions (and spend money) based on what they see in the credentials of a proclaimed expert. The PCS is a dues based Society and built on integrity.
    If you are not a member, you should not have the right to advertise that you are. This is false pretence and you are claiming a credit that you are not entiltled to.
    If I went and spent money at a shop that claims to be PCS and they are not, I would be ticked.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by danscustom View Post
    People make decisions (and spend money) based on what they see in the credentials of a proclaimed expert. The PCS is a dues based Society and built on integrity.
    If you are not a member, you should not have the right to advertise that you are. This is false pretence and you are claiming a credit that you are not entiltled to.
    If I went and spent money at a shop that claims to be PCS and they are not, I would be ticked.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying, perhaps at one time they were a member of the PCS and have not updated/removed the logo from their website since they've no longer been a member. If you're not the webmaster, updating your website sometimes get neglected or overlooked if you're busy with your business. All I'm saying is a simple "Are you member of the PCS? It says so on your website." as a reminder.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

True Geoff, but it should be a priority for such people. Besides, it was just a question, I did not see anyone called out on the issue here. That would be inapropriate. It should be taken up privately with the individual, and if that doesn't work then PCS should be notified. It's up to them to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    True Geoff, but it should be a priority for such people. Besides, it was just a question, I did not see anyone called out on the issue here. That would be inapropriate. It should be taken up privately with the individual, and if that doesn't work then PCS should be notified. It's up to them to deal with it.

I agree Dan. But if you're not sure of someone's credentials, then ask them. Or seek out the answer from the PCS. That's all I'm saying. Think about it, why else would someone ask this question, then post their response the way they did unless they were planning/trying to call someone out? The matter should be taken up privately.

I agree. Let's not jump the gun though, since that was not done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I agree. Let's not jump the gun though, since that was not done.
    Agreed. I apologize Chief, Dan and Dan if I jumped the gun a bit on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by danscustom View Post
    I also agree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Not sure why this interests you so much. You are a hobbyist, what relevance does this have to you? And if you are concerned with someone posting credentials, why not take it up with them personally? Why air this out in a public forum? Perhaps they aren't aware of the length of time they are allowed to post a simple logo. Could just be an honest mistake.

Exactly. It is a public forum therefore the public domain has the right to know these things. I have the right to ask questions(I think) and really do not appreciate you coming at me like this. I have my interests you have yours. Do I go and ask you what your interests are everytime you post something.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Easy there Chief, he just apologised. Please cut him some slack.

Exactly. It is a public forum therefore the public domain has the right to know these things. I have the right to ask questions(I think) and really do not appreciate you coming at me like this. I have my interests you have yours. Do I go and ask you what your interests are everytime you post something.

Fair enough Chief. But I guess you missed my apology. I was just reading more into it than what was there.

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Agreed. I apologize Chief, Dan and Dan if I jumped the gun a bit on this one.
    Hey, I'm fine with everything. Your right about web updates. As a loyal PCS guy myself there is a code to abide by and there are benefits with being a member. But, you got to be a member to claim those rights.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    This is where it should have stopped. Bottom line is that Chief found his answer.
    If there are people advertising the PCS logo that aren't members then that's another issue. IMHO, exposing them is a not an issue to be discussed in this forum and should be dealt with offline.

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    This is where it should have stopped. Bottom line is that Chief found his answer.
    If there are people advertising the PCS logo that aren't members then that's another issue. IMHO, exposing them is a not an issue to be discussed in this forum and should be dealt with offline.
    I agree the question has been asked and answered I feel that this subject if it needs to be pursued further should be taken to PCS.

Closed.

Thread Information