CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

PGA Tour playoffs in 2008 to take two-week break for Ryder Cup

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. - The PGA Tour Playoffs will take a two-week break next year to give players a chance to be fresh for the Ryder Cup, addressing a concern that American players would be worn out before one of the most tiresome weeks of the year.

More...

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    Two weeks? the article says two in the title but the dates say one week break, and the schedule on pgatour.com says one week break.

I think the break will help but I don't think that it will stop Tiger from not playing one of the early playoff events. Even with one week off, he would still have to play 5 out of 6 weeks, which he doesn't do very much if at all

Even with the break

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i think two weeks would be a KILLER for the tour. Even one additional week of Ryder Cup talk will be a little much. I assume they are gonna be playing a "Fall Series" event during that week.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    i think two weeks would be a KILLER for the tour. Even one additional week of Ryder Cup talk will be a little much. I assume they are gonna be playing a "Fall Series" event during that week.
    There is no tournament the week before the Ryder Cup but there is one during the same week as the Ryder Cup (the Viking Classic). To me that makes no sense. They should have the Viking Classic the week where there is no tournament. It's a small one anyway, so it probably wouldn't affect many players who are in the playoffs. If they did it that way, they wouldn't be up against the Ryder Cup which will destroy it in the ratings.

5 Iron FrankoSport is on a distinguished road
    Greetings ....
    From Paddy 963 ... There is no tournament the week before the Ryder Cup but there is one during the same week as the Ryder Cup (the Viking Classic). To me that makes no sense. They should have the Viking Classic the week where there is no tournament.
    Sadly for those ---

• Who do not qualify at all for the Fed Ex Cup playoffs

• Who play in one or both of the first two playoff events but advance no further

-- the open week before the Ryder Cup means that they have no place to play. A Fall Series event, new or existing, could easily have been put into that spot.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

Thread Information