CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road

Forgiving irons...

Since my home course is closed, I decided to play my backup set I recently got from Hacker as part of a trade. These are Callaway X-16 Pro Series with Project X shafts. I have to admit that I was at first reluctant to play these. They are really different from the clubs I normally play. I consider myself as a "purist" (no offence there, just keep reading my thread!) and normally only play blades, more often muscle backs, with minimal offset.

I played Kingsway yesterday and it started really bad. I hit really poor shots (big hooks) until I said to myself, slow down your swing. Since these have bigger heads, I instinctively wanted to swing them harder. I then slowed down my swing and guess what, I only missed (I should say my standards are pretty high!) two iron shots for the rest of the round. Since this course has really short par 4s, I decided to hit irons off the deck to keep around 160 to 130 yards shots onto very small greens to really put them to the test. I consistently hit shots 20 feet or less from the flag. I hit them so nice and they were so easy to control that my playing buddy started to use them. If it wasn't that I really liked them, I would have had a deal on the course since he liked them quite a bit too.

However, I noticed two disadvantages. First, you can barely work the ball with these clubs. Second, it's really really really hard to hit anything that looks like a punch shot or a shot with a super low trajectory. That's an issue for me since I already tend to hit the ball super high. Nevertheless, the forgiveness and the ease to get good results certainly overcome the disadvantages. I still prefer my MP-67s but I do now recognize that golf companies may produce excellent products, aside from blades, that yield more forgiveness but are still fun to play. Looking forward for my next round with these...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    ....damn!!

I knew I could have squeezed you for a little bit more

I'm glad that they worked out for you Steph!!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    That's hilarious.
    You can only work the ball one way i.e right to left. I have never seen you hit anything close that resembles a fade. You always hit big hooks at the beginning of the round because you don't warm up. You are the anti Lee Trevino of Golf. Thanks for the great laugh
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Since my home course is closed, I decided to play my backup set I recently got from Hacker as part of a trade. These are Callaway X-16 Pro Series with Project X shafts. I have to admit that I was at first reluctant to play these. They are really different from the clubs I normally play. I consider myself as a "purist" (no offence there, just keep reading my thread!) and normally only play blades, more often muscle backs, with minimal offset.

I played Kingsway yesterday and it started really bad. I hit really poor shots (big hooks) until I said to myself, slow down your swing. Since these have bigger heads, I instinctively wanted to swing them harder. I then slowed down my swing and guess what, I only missed (I should say my standards are pretty high!) two iron shots for the rest of the round. Since this course has really short par 4s, I decided to hit irons off the deck to keep around 160 to 130 yards shots onto very small greens to really put them to the test. I consistently hit shots 20 feet or less from the flag. I hit them so nice and they were so easy to control that my playing buddy started to use them. If it wasn't that I really liked them, I would have had a deal on the course since he liked them quite a bit too.

However, I noticed two disadvantages. First, you can barely work the ball with these clubs. Second, it's really really really hard to hit anything that looks like a punch shot or a shot with a super low trajectory. That's an issue for me since I already tend to hit the ball super high. Nevertheless, the forgiveness and the ease to get good results certainly overcome the disadvantages. I still prefer my MP-67s but I do now recognize that golf companies may produce excellent products, aside from blades, that yield more forgiveness but are still fun to play. Looking forward for my next round with these...
    Damn! you found the fix (oop did i said that out loud!). Stick with your blades, those x-16 are ugly, you won't be allowed in our group if you bring them out next year! We couldn't stand them! Just kidding. I know those clubs are great but as you mentioned i can't stand looking at them at address.

Thom

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Panikorn View Post
    Damn! you found the fix (oop did i said that out loud!). Stick with your blades, those x-16 are ugly, you won't be allowed in our group if you bring them out next year! We couldn't stand them! Just kidding. I know those clubs are great but as you mentioned i can't stand looking at them at address.

Thom
    Me neither since they look like "hooking machines" but they really worked great last Monday...after all, as you know me, neither the X-16, nor the MP-67 may survive the silly season anyway...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I play Ping G2's which are close to those Cally's in offset. I have no problems hitting low punch shots with them. I just play the ball back in my stance, take one less club and swing easy. I know this works, I holed out a 6 iron from 150, while under some big pine trees! Ball was never any higher than 20 feet off the ground. Landed and released right into the cup.

I will admit it was much easier hitting low screamers with my Wishson 550C's, but it can be done with the game improvement irons.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Baxter
    Agree with golfbum..I have the Cobra 9 S irons and have been able to hit the punch shots. took a little work but now they work fine....

Thread Information