+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Fighting in hockey debate... again...

Ok, so let me start off by saying that I played junior hockey. I also played other team sports at high levels, and am still a competing athlete.

There is no need for fighting in hockey.

The crap that went on with Tucker and Avery is a joke and the NHL should be embarassed. Those 2 players should be suspended.

The only way players will learn is from suspensions and fines, and I mean severe ones.

The league keeps fighting in the game because they are afraid they will lose more fans than they will gain by eliminating it. Plain and simple. The excuse that stickwork will increase just isn't valid. If they right penalties are called and suspensions handed out, stickwork will not increase.

The NFL, MLB and NBA have very strict penalties for fighting. Plain and simple suspensions and fines and players know the risks they take.

So to those of you who think fighting is important, explain to me why. And at the same time, explain to me why fighting doesn't come with an automatic "intent to injure" penalty. Don't tell me that guys are not trying to hurt each other when they drop the gloves.

Hitting from behind is dangerous.
    Slashing is dangerous. High sticking is dangerous.
    Cross checking is dangerous.

Fighting is ???

And why do guys get 5 minute penalties for fighting? What is the point? They need 5 minutes to rest up anyways. It is almost like a reward. In most caes, they both agree to fight, so why bother giving penalties. Neither team suffers and it really serves no purpose, so why not just plan the fights.

At the end of the 1st and 2nd periods, there will be a fight. They can figure out who wants to fight who and they can get it over with and rest during intermission.

So if there are any logical reasons why fighting needs to stay in the game, please let me know.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I agree with all of your points. Fighting should be eliminated in the NHL and checks from behind etc. should be heavily penalized with lengthy suspensions.
    Outside of Canada the NHL has become a joke sports league.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Ok, so let me start off by saying that I played junior hockey. I also played other team sports at high levels, and am still a competing athlete.

The crap that went on with Tucker and Avery is a joke and the NHL should be embarassed. Those 2 players should be suspended.

The only way players will learn is from suspensions and fines, and I mean severe ones.

The league keeps fighting in the game because they are afraid they will lose more fans than they will gain by eliminating it. Plain and simple. The excuse that stickwork will increase just isn't valid. If they right penalties are called and suspensions handed out, stickwork will not increase.

The NFL, MLB and NBA have very strict penalties for fighting. Plain and simple suspensions and fines and players know the risks they take.

So to those of you who think fighting is important, explain to me why. And at the same time, explain to me why fighting doesn't come with an automatic "intent to injure" penalty. Don't tell me that guys are not trying to hurt each other when they drop the gloves.

Fighting is ???

And why do guys get 5 minute penalties for fighting? What is the point? They need 5 minutes to rest up anyways. It is almost like a reward. In most caes, they both agree to fight, so why bother giving penalties. Neither team suffers and it really serves no purpose, so why not just plan the fights.

At the end of the 1st and 2nd periods, there will be a fight. They can figure out who wants to fight who and they can get it over with and rest during intermission.

So if there are any logical reasons why fighting needs to stay in the game, please let me know.
    Fighting is an excellent way of limiting all the crap you are talking about.

First off, the Tucker/Avery thing has nothing to do with the game, nothing to do with fighting. NObody would argue that a scuffle in the warmup is acceptable. Although, i do applaud Tucker for going out and defending his teammate once the game started.

Fighting in its current form, I will agree, is pretty useless. That's because a fight these days is two tough guys who wait all game to get sent out by the coaches with the ok to fight.

Fighting used to serve an important purpose, which was to keep the other team in line, and to protect the stars. You knew that if you crossed the line, someone would be there to pound your face in so that, next time, you though twice about that iffy hit on Gretzky. Now that type of behaviour, where one player initiates a fight to protect a teammate, gets penalized. As a result, you get a bunch of guys running around the ice with no fear, flying with elbows up, feet off the ice, trying to kill their opponents.

You mention the NFL, NBA, MLB. But when was the last time you saw a 'fight' in those leagues. If a fight starts in those leagues, it immediately degenerates into a massive brawl. Not so with hockey (yea, it does happen from time to time, but it is no the norm). It is accepted that if two guys drop the gloves, they will be left alone. So comparing the NHL to other major sports really isn't fair, because the fighting in other leagues does not have the same mentality around it....a fight is a declaration of war against the entire other team.

And, say what you want, fighting puts fans in the seats. There is no more excitement in an arena than when two guys drop the gloves.

"And, say what you want, fighting puts fans in the seats. There is no more excitement in an arena than when two guys drop the gloves."....

So go watch boxing...

Calling penalties is the best way to protect players, the "star" players or just the regular ones...

If hitting from behond carried a minimum 25 game suspension for 1st time offenders, do you think there would be as many hits from behind? What about high sticking or slashing?

The players are trying to injure each other. They may not admit it...

I believe last year, Chris Neil said he tries to hurt people when he hits them. He is very lucky he has not been suspended this year because he is guilty quite often of trying, and succeeding, to hit someone right on the chin with his shoulder pad/forearm/elbow... You are supposed to hit someone to knock them off the puck, not knock them out!!!

So what does fighting do to stop him from doing that?

The Montreal Canadiens do not dress any fighters this year. Are they worried about getting pushed around? Are they worried about their stars getting hurt? Obviously not. But if they don't dress a fighter, then the other team doesn't need to...

The Sens v Habs game on Saturday was awesome. Chris Neil wanted to fight Mike Komisarek all game... did they fight? NO, because it would serve Montreal no purpose and had no business being part of a great game.

There wasn't a single fight in the game.
    And it was good hockey.

Do you think that if Downie had played against Ottawa after his hit, and McGrattan had beat the crap out of him, that would be better than the suspension?

I don't think so...

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I agree with golfisforfun. Fighting has no place in hockey.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    [quote=golfisforfun;219221The Sens v Habs game on Saturday was awesome. Chris Neil wanted to fight Mike Komisarek all game... did they fight? NO, because it would serve Montreal no purpose and had no business being part of a great game.

There wasn't a single fight in the game. And it was good hockey. [/quote]

It really was good hockey game and I agree that the goons should be out of Hockey but didn't Koivu drop his gloves and go after Kelly at one point? Seems to me there was the start of a fight but after some pushing, shoving and hugging, both of them decided that they really didn't want to hit each other

Or was I just imagining it......

"And, say what you want, fighting puts fans in the seats. There is no more excitement in an arena than when two guys drop the gloves."....

So go watch boxing...

Calling penalties is the best way to protect players, the "star" players or just the regular ones...

If hitting from behond carried a minimum 25 game suspension for 1st time offenders, do you think there would be as many hits from behind? What about high sticking or slashing?

The players are trying to injure each other. They may not admit it...

I believe last year, Chris Neil said he tries to hurt people when he hits them. He is very lucky he has not been suspended this year because he is guilty quite often of trying, and succeeding, to hit someone right on the chin with his shoulder pad/forearm/elbow... You are supposed to hit someone to knock them off the puck, not knock them out!!!

So what does fighting do to stop him from doing that?

The Montreal Canadiens do not dress any fighters this year. Are they worried about getting pushed around? Are they worried about their stars getting hurt? Obviously not. But if they don't dress a fighter, then the other team doesn't need to...

The Sens v Habs game on Saturday was awesome. Chris Neil wanted to fight Mike Komisarek all game... did they fight? NO, because it would serve Montreal no purpose and had no business being part of a great game.

There wasn't a single fight in the game.
    And it was good hockey.

Do you think that if Downie had played against Ottawa after his hit, and McGrattan had beat the crap out of him, that would be better than the suspension?

I don't think so...
    Wow. Straw man arguments sure are an effective way of debating.

You seem to be ignoring my entire point. Fighting, as it currently exists, does NOT protect players, because of the stupid instigator rule. take out the instigator rule, and fighting can once again serve its purpose of protecting players. Montreal can get away without a fighter, because fighters no longer have the right to go out and protect playeers.

And I never said fighting is a necessary part of every entertaining game. Hockey can be fantastic with and without fighting. As you said, Komisarek didn't fight because it would have served no purpose. However, if he had felt it would have helped his team, I'm sure he would have done it. He wasn't going to fight for the sake of fighting, and I have no problem with that. My argument has been that fighting CAN serve a purpose,

Much of your argument against fighting seems actually to be an argument against violent hits. You don't like people getting injured. The NHL should be cracking down on hits from behind. I agree completely (and they are, I might add). What that has to do with fighting needing to go, I do not know. You will also notice that this type of violent hit has increased drastically in the years since the instigator penalty was instituted. Coincidence?

I am certainly not saying that hits shouldn't be punished by the league. You don't see me complaining about the downie suspension, do you? But I'm also glad he got pounded into the ice after taking out McAmmond

You tell me to go watch boxing. Ignorant. First of all...the NHL's heavyweight division is more skilled than the current class of Heavyweight boxers. More importantly, the NHL is a league which relies on fan loyalty. It's a business. It makes money by entertaining. Many people find fighting to be a very entertaining aspect of the game. You may thingk that it's base, and that it 'degrades' the game, but eliminating it is foolish. You may think that "we don't need the fans that are in it for the fighting." But we do. The NHL needs all the fans it can get.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Fighting is ???

Of course there's no "need" for fighting in hockey, but that's not going to stop it from happening anyway. You argue that NFL, MLB & NBA all have severe penalties and fines for fighting, yet with all those "controls" in place, it still happens there too. Sports are played at an extremely high physical and mental level, for long periods of time, and fighting is an instinctual reaction to extreme circumstances. If two guys square off and mutually decide to go, and they know what they're in for, then it's a fair fight. If the fight is too one-sided, or if one guy decides not to go, or it's a big mismatch from the start, there are at least two officials who will physically intervene to break things up. I was a linesman for a lot of years and believe me, if two guys want to go, they're gonna go, no matter what. There was no way I or my partner were getting in the middle of that when things got going.

You're right, stick fouls and hitting from behind should and do carry stiff penalties, but these are not fighting. 99% of these are situations occur where one player has an unfair and dangerous advantage over another. With fighting 99% of the time, both combatants are willing participants.

jonf is right, that crap that happened between Tucker and Avery in the warmup was outside the game, and Avery made it personal. 15 years ago, the OHL started having the linesmen out during the pre-game warmup to police things. The NHL should be doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I agree with all of your points. Fighting should be eliminated in the NHL and checks from behind etc. should be heavily penalized with lengthy suspensions.
    Outside of Canada the NHL has become a joke sports league.
    1) You'll never eliminate fighting altogether. Hockey is played at too high a speed and emotional level.

2) The only other major market "outside of Canada" that watches the NHL on a consistent basis is the US. The same country that spends billions of dollars annually attending and buying PPV for such "tame" sports as boxing and MMA. Hockey has always taken a back seat to NBA, NFL and MLB because it's not "their game", not because of fighting.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    If the penalty for fighting was 5+ games instead of 5 minutes, it would disappear. Hockey is a beautiful game when played at a wide open, fast pace and everything should be done to keep it that way.

If you want to get even with morons like Avery, nail him with legitimate hip and shoulder checks at every opportunity.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Wow. Straw man arguments sure are an effective way of debating.

You seem to be ignoring my entire point. Fighting, as it currently exists, does NOT protect players, because of the stupid instigator rule. take out the instigator rule, and fighting can once again serve its purpose of protecting players. Montreal can get away without a fighter, because fighters no longer have the right to go out and protect playeers.

And I never said fighting is a necessary part of every entertaining game. Hockey can be fantastic with and without fighting. As you said, Komisarek didn't fight because it would have served no purpose. However, if he had felt it would have helped his team, I'm sure he would have done it. He wasn't going to fight for the sake of fighting, and I have no problem with that. My argument has been that fighting CAN serve a purpose,

Much of your argument against fighting seems actually to be an argument against violent hits. You don't like people getting injured. The NHL should be cracking down on hits from behind. I agree completely (and they are, I might add). What that has to do with fighting needing to go, I do not know. You will also notice that this type of violent hit has increased drastically in the years since the instigator penalty was instituted. Coincidence?

I am certainly not saying that hits shouldn't be punished by the league. You don't see me complaining about the downie suspension, do you? But I'm also glad he got pounded into the ice after taking out McAmmond

You tell me to go watch boxing. Ignorant. First of all...the NHL's heavyweight division is more skilled than the current class of Heavyweight boxers. More importantly, the NHL is a league which relies on fan loyalty. It's a business. It makes money by entertaining. Many people find fighting to be a very entertaining aspect of the game. You may thingk that it's base, and that it 'degrades' the game, but eliminating it is foolish. You may think that "we don't need the fans that are in it for the fighting." But we do. The NHL needs all the fans it can get.
    I can see somebody's University Thesis coming from this................"HISTORY OF FIGHTING IN THE NHL"..............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    If you don't like fighting in hockey then stop buying tickets and stop watching it on TV. Fighting has always been a part of hockey so if you like the game, like it for what it is. If you don't like it for what it is stop watching it.

Saying that fighting should be eliminated from the game is akin to saying that throwing at a batter to move him off of the plate should be eliminated from baseball or that roughing the passer should be eliminated from football.......these are all parts of the game and there are rules which govern it.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    If you don't like fighting in hockey then stop buying tickets and stop watching it on TV. Fighting has always been a part of hockey so if you like the game, like it for what it is. If you don't like it for what it is stop watching it.

Saying that fighting should be eliminated from the game is akin to saying that throwing at a batter to move him off of the plate should be eliminated from baseball or that roughing the passer should be eliminated from football.......these are all parts of the game and there are rules which govern it.
    Yes look at how traumatized these fans are in Boston after watching the Big Z do his work.................... Those two young ladies in the crowd just look frightened.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYch5rjNe6M
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Yes look at how traumatized these fans are in Boston after watching the Big Z do his work.................... Those two young ladies in the crowd just look frightened.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYch5rjNe6M

Exactly!!!

Fighting in hockey is baaaaaad

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    I can see somebody's University Thesis coming from this................"HISTORY OF FIGHTING IN THE NHL"..............
    Haha...I wish. But interestingly enough, there was an academic conference at UVic last year about Hockey's place in Canadian culture and literature.

Haha...I wish. But interestingly enough, there was an academic conference at UVic last year about Hockey's place in Canadian culture and literature.
    I can certainly see hockey's place in Canadian culture, but literature??

The only things literature related that come to mind are "The Sweater" and the Stomping Tom Connors song "The Good 'Ol Hockey Game"

I love to watch hockey and love the skill and would be much happier if every fighter in the league lost their spot to a skill player.

And you can't say that fighting will always take place, no matter what... because if fighting meant a 1 year suspension, players would not fight. Plain and simple...

And if comparisons are going to be made, I would say that roughing the passer in football is much closer to running the goalie in hockey...

Do you think that players really are afraid that if they do something, someone might come out on the ice and beat them up? Seriously...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I love to watch hockey and love the skill and would be much happier if every fighter in the league lost their spot to a skill player.

And you can't say that fighting will always take place, no matter what... because if fighting meant a 1 year suspension, players would not fight. Plain and simple...

And if comparisons are going to be made, I would say that roughing the passer in football is much closer to running the goalie in hockey...

Do you think that players really are afraid that if they do something, someone might come out on the ice and beat them up? Seriously...

For sure. You stated you played junior hockey. You can't tell me you never saw anyone have to "pay the price" for a cheap shot, hit from behind or the like. Just look at what happened when Downie hit McAmmond. He got jumped. I'm sure, as Downie said, he wasn't trying to hurt anyone (yeah right), just throwing a check. But he I'm sure he feared the reprucussions of that hit immediately after he hit McAmmond. I know if I was in his shoes I'd be worried what was going to happen next after I threw a hit like that.

And look at Claude Lemieux after he hit Draper. The next time the Avs and Wings played, Lemieux faced the music. I can guarantee you, he didn't want to fight McCarty (I'm sure he would've preferred a lightweight), but he knew he had to defend himself for what he did.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The NHL should be cracking down on hits from behind. I agree completely (and they are, I might add).
    I don’t agree. You can count easily more then 5 hits from behind in a game and the ref’s don’t even call a penalty. Take the Habs-Leafs game yesterday. At the end of the game a Habs player hit a Leafs player from severely I might add. No call was made and the referee was 5 feet from the incident and watching. Give the guy a concussion and the Habs player in penalized if not suspended. 2 games suspension for the Bergeron incident!!!! Stupid ruling IMO. It should be a minimum of 10 games for a hit from behind.

2 minutes for a high stick in the face, 4 minutes if there is blood!!!! That’s another stupid rule. It should be a full 4 minutes no matter how many goals the other team scores, blood or not.

Fighting has no place in hockey. It’s the only team sport that allows it.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    For all of you anti-fight folks, what do you think would've happened the next time the Avs and Wings would've met if there was no fighting allowed in the NHL? I'm pretty sure you would've seen Lemieux on the sideline with a severe injury. Without fighting, the Wing players would've been slashing and cross checking him violently all night seeking retribution. And perhaps someone would've taken it into their own hands and hit him from behind as payback. And from where I come from, two wrongs don't make a right. But instead, Lemieux stepped up, and fought, arguably, Detroit's tough guy. He knew he had to face the music for what he did, and rightfully so. That's one reason why you can't take fighting out of the game.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 11-14-2007 at 12:53 PM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=golfisforfun;219221

I don't think so...[/QUOTE]

YUP, I sure do!

Guys like Downie need to get the crap kicked out of them for that kinda stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    For all of you anti-fight folks, what do you think would've happened the next time the Avs and Wings would've met if there was no fighting allowed in the NHL? I'm pretty sure you would've seen Lemieux on the sideline with a severe injury. Without fighting, the Wing players would've been slashing and cross checking him violently all night seeking retribution. And perhaps someone would've taken it into their own hands and hit him from behind as payback. And from where I come from, two wrongs don't make a right. But instead, Lemieux stepped up, and fought, arguably, Detroit's tough guy. He knew he had to face the music for what he did, and rightfully so. That's one reason why you can't take fighting out of the game.
    IMO all this was caused by bad rulings. Obviously fitting did not prevent this issue. It just prolonged the incident to multiple meetings between both teams. If stiffer penalties and/or suspensions were called, less cheap shot’s would be exchanged. I do agree that fighting will never be eliminated because you do see it in other sports but making it a part of the game is wrong.

Mike

You certainly have some interesting takes.........I like the gritty side of the game, I wish that every whimpy, turtling skilled player in the league would lose their spot to a tough guy.

As for wishing that fighting would carry a 1 year suspension I'd say don't hold your breath. You can't MAKE someone fight therefore both participates are willing. If you were going to suspend people a year for fighting you'd have to suspend guys who hit from behind or who sucker punch or cheap-shot someone else at least 5 years.

I'd also argue that roughing the passer is NOTHING LIKE running the goalie - if you breath on an NFL quarterback there are enough flags in the air to block out the sun. NHL goaltenders can only dream of being protected to anywhere near that level.

This whole fighting vs. no-fighting issue is really a personal thing.

To me, hockey is a tough sport played by "real men", tough guys with tons of grit and heart. To be honest, I don't really like the smaller "whimpy" types that can't fight their own battles - that isn't Canadian hockey IMO.

Real men fight - "whimpy" men carve you with their sticks....how many careers have been ended as a result of a fight versus the number of careers that have been ended by cheap stick-work......

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I can't enjoy a hockey fight because I'm always waiting for kicks, takedowns, knockouts and submissions, & it seems %90 of the time all I ever get to see is some guy falling on top of another guy after he has successfully pulled his jersey over his head.
    Its not exciting & don't compare it to professional fighting. Of couse, imho.
    Andrew

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    Personally, I love watching a fight in hockey. If they want to eliminate the hitting from behind crap, then they should eliminate the instigator penalty. Then, the person responsible for such a hit could be taken care of without an additional penalty.

Very little fighting has to do with protecting star players. It has more to do with trying to inspire one's teams. The players have an understood rule that you don't pick on the stars as the teams draws less of a crowd without them in the lineup either at home or away.

Quote Originally Posted by moochie View Post
    Very little fighting has to do with protecting star players. It has more to do with trying to inspire one's teams. The players have an understood rule that you don't pick on the stars as the teams draws less of a crowd without them in the lineup either at home or away.
    Great point moochie - btw is this a written or unwritten rule

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Real men fight - "whimpy" men carve you with their sticks....how many careers have been ended as a result of a fight versus the number of careers that have been ended by cheap stick-work......
    Did you see the Chris Simon jab with the stick? Tucker and Avery attempting to jab to the face with their hockeys during the worm up incident? The McSorley incident on Brashear? Hunter on Turgeon? The list goes on! These are all “Real men” that fight all the time.

I like hard-hitting hockey the Canadian way but it has nothing to do with fighting IMO. The CDN junior team and tournament is a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I don’t agree. You can count easily more then 5 hits from behind in a game and the ref’s don’t even call a penalty. Take the Habs-Leafs game yesterday. At the end of the game a Habs player hit a Leafs player from severely I might add. No call was made and the referee was 5 feet from the incident and watching. Give the guy a concussion and the Habs player in penalized if not suspended. 2 games suspension for the Bergeron incident!!!! Stupid ruling IMO. It should be a minimum of 10 games for a hit from behind.

2 minutes for a high stick in the face, 4 minutes if there is blood!!!! That’s another stupid rule. It should be a full 4 minutes no matter how many goals the other team scores, blood or not.

Fighting has no place in hockey. It’s the only team sport that allows it.
    You're right. I meant to put "hits to the head" rather than hits from behind.

I disagree on Bergeron though. It was an illegal hit, but players turning away from an impending hit is an epidemic in the NHL right now. That is why you see so many 'hits from behind. They see a player coming at them along the boards, ready to hit them, and what do they do? They turn their back to him to protect the puck (giving absolutely no thought to actually protecting themselves). You can't really expect a player to stop or swerve off in the matter of half a second because someone turned their back. That is just foolish play.

If they want to stop hitting from behind, they should start suspending players who turn away like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Did you see the Chris Simon jab with the stick? Tucker and Avery attempting to jab to the face with their hockeys during the worm up incident? The McSorley incident on Brashear? Hunter on Turgeon? The list goes on! These are all “Real men” that fight all the time.

I like hard-hitting hockey the Canadian way but it has nothing to do with fighting IMO. The CDN junior team and tournament is a perfect example.
    You're right. Those incidents have nothing to do with hockey, and nothing to do with fighting. So what is your point? Because there are stick swinging incidents, we have to ban fighting?

You're right. I meant to put "hits to the head" rather than hits from behind.

I disagree on Bergeron though. It was an illegal hit, but players turning away from an impending hit is an epidemic in the NHL right now. That is why you see so many 'hits from behind. They see a player coming at them along the boards, ready to hit them, and what do they do? They turn their back to him to protect the puck (giving absolutely no thought to actually protecting themselves). You can't really expect a player to stop or swerve off in the matter of half a second because someone turned their back. That is just foolish play.

If they want to stop hitting from behind, they should start suspending players who turn away like that.
    I don’t think so. Look at the replay. Bergeron’s back is turned from the start. He did not turn when he got to the puck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbDKGBkE_M

None the less, hitting from behind is a major problem in hockey.

Hacker

My point was that most incidents are caused by goons and not from the smaller agile player that have no interest in fitting.

I rather watch Hossa, Kane, Crosby, Malkin then air heads that fight. Rare are the fighting type that have an impact on the game.

No hard feelings.

Thread Information