100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Used to pack it in when the snow finally stuck. I have a duaghter that's 18 months old and another one on the way. That just makes all of the frost delay shenanigans a little too much to take...I once played Pineview after driving out to the Meadows only to find the course under snow...On the way back into town my buddy and I noticed that Pineview was still open...We played in about 2 hours walking. And the greens were whites by the time we were done.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Last year golfed till the end of Nov. I believe. This year gonna try to golf till it is cold enough that my fingers and toes get numb, then it is too cold. Hoping to get out tomorrow if no rain. If we have the same kind of winter as last year I will definitely golf in Dec and Jan like some people did last year, even if it means golfing in a skidoo suit!! As this year is going I am playing my best and not wanting to give that up to have to start all over in the spring!!! As long as the temps stay above around 5 and there is sun with no wind it is pretty good golfing weather!!!

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    ...any time you have to ask yourself twice "do I want to really play today?" or before you really lose interest
    I think in my case it was both. In the summer I can't wait to get up and go golfing. It was really getting to the point that going to work (and that's become a chore, resulting in a pending - I hope - change in the days or weeks to come) was a more interesting prospect than playing the game I love so much.

AND I was also realizing around the 5th or 6th hole that I really wasn't all that interested or keen on playing - and that's a bad sign. Last game almost certainly was November 4th.

Fortunately I am involved with the Royal Canadian Legion and was worked off my feet for three weeks leading up to last weekend. Now I'm catching up on all the stuff I couldn't do in that timeframe... so there's really no time for golf right now anyway.

That's it!

Now... the "wait to be eager and stupid, watching the 14 day trend on Weather Network to see if we might be able to play next week if the snow melts by then, lakes in fairways be damned" begins!

Mike/BullDog

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    When i can not get anyone to go anymore.

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road
    Hey man I have not hung them up this year, I have moved to Florida for the winter.
    Will be back in the great north sometime in April!
    Talked to a buddy, Yesterday, November 17th and today will be the last day for our club up north, they cover the greens on Monday.
    Stay warm and I wish you all a green Christmas.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    The course I work at closes after today, Nov.18. Regardless of the weather conditions. A lot of public courses stay open around the London to Windsor area unless there is snow on the ground. There is a trace of snow on the ground this morning, so I likely won't play. However it is going to warm up during the week so I will go out then.

Last year courses down here closed in mid December when we had a good snow fall. Then that melted, it got warm and a few courses opened back up before Christmas. Then they closed again. But in January it got warm again and a couple opened back up. We were lucky to get a tee time on Jan. 8

There is a course down along the Lake near Turkey Point that usually stays open all year. There is a 9 hole course in London by the Airport that also tries to stay open during the winter.

However I will admit, and this might seem funny coming from a Golf Pig like myself. There is a time when it gets cold enough that it just isn't fun anymore I don't mind being a bit chilly, but when you have to put 5-6 layers of clothing on to stay warm out there then it is time to quit. When you can't take divots because the fairways are froze solid, it is time to quit

Being semi-retired I do have that option of taking a trip down south this winter. Now that could be a possibility
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I hope to get out once more, but just checked Environment Canada web site and looks like the sunny days this week will be in the minus temp range, just too cold for any enjoyment. Washed the clubs this AM, aired out the pockets, and marked up some balls so I can hit the ground running next April in MB. Ony good thing is OAC Golf School starts in 13 days.

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    Clubs are really never 'hung up', they are always shined and ready to roll at any given time, whether its just for a couple buckets or a quick round on a nice afternoon when your not expecting to freeze to death...expecting...yea...thats the right word!

My home course is closing this week apparently though

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    For me the lates had been November 15th, and this year I have already beaten that by 3 days so far. Hoping to play another 2 weekends.

That way I will have some sort of a swing when I play in the Dominican at Christmas time.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Hahah Steve I was thinking that, at least freezing with company is better than freezing alone . I'm with ya on that one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    When i can not get anyone to go anymore.
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Got out of bed this morning at 6:30 and checked the temperature. 11 C, guess where I am going?

1. Ice Fishing
    2. Snowmobiling
    3. Golfing
    4. Back To Bed

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Got out of bed this morning at 6:30 and checked the temperature. 11 C, guess where I am going?

1. Ice Fishing
    2. Snowmobiling
    3. Golfing
    4. Back To Bed

If it was me, I'd pick 4, but seeing that it's you I'll venture a guess on #3.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Lob Wedge HowardBrazee is on a distinguished road
    Monday was great golf weather near Denver - today it's snowing. But I'll golf all winter - last year was the first time I have seen snow on the ground for a full month, usually a week is excessive.

When the weather is cold, I won't play if it's overcast. But in the sun (which is normal around here), only my hands get cold. So I use winter gloves and carry some of those air-activated heater thingies in my pockets. It helps that I walk.

Sometimes there will be snow in a shady sand hazard, and occasionally a ball will roll across a lake.

In Colorado, the ball rolls a long way in the Winter. Fairways are dry. Also it is much easier to find the ball in the native which is mostly dead in the Winter.

And without crowds, I can drop a couple of balls at odd distances & locations that need practice.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I am heading down to Denver in 3 weeks though I don't think I will be able to golf as its for work. We are spending 3 days in Colorado Springs at the Broadmoor....sweet courses there.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information