100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

When do you Hang Em Up for the Year

Seeing as the season is coming to an end, when do you hang em up this time of year?

Do you play to the bitter end, only letting snow visibility prevent you from playing more?

If you happen upon a fabulous round right about now, do you retire at your peak, aka Michael Jordan style?

If you suck the big one, worse than anything imaginable, do you cut your losses and slam home the trunk?

Of the three guys I play with each one of these more or less applies. I just happened to shoot 78 yesterday equaling my best score ever. I'm tempted to finish on a high note, but I don't think it's in my DNA.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I officially hung them up this weekend. The clubs are out of the car, the gear is washed, I've started to fix the paintfill, etc.

Once the day time highs stop hitting 8C for an extended period I'm pretty much done. The combination of frost delays and generally cold weather makes it too much hassle for me.

I did get out on Nov 4 though. Which I think is a record for me.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Only when the white crap hits the ground and stays there will we be hangin the sticks up.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i put mine away September 22nd....

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    October 15th or any time you have to ask yourself twice "do I want to really play today?" or before you really lose interest
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    when the last course is closed. I have a week off work at the end of Nov and hope to get out a couple of times weather permitting.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I packed it in Nov 1. I guess i really should clean out the bag and all that. Thanks for the reminder
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    have yet to pack it in, just played in St. Cat's yesterday and hope to have a few more weekend rounds in me. Rounds after workdays are over, as i only have about 1-1/2 afterwork before dark(finish at 3:30).

Def getting a round in Dec to complete the 12-month golfing.

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    Never, I only take the golf game indoors!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Normally, I keep playing as long as there's a course open within a 2 hour drive. This year, though, I'll have to call it quits when the power carts are no longer allowed on the course. I suspect that was today.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Ill get 1-2 more in then Im done. usually when the snow falls, but should be able to get out this weekend for my last round!

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    My course is only open day to day. I was glad to play yesterday (and play well for once!!!). I'm optimistic for this weekend. I suspect the course evaluates how much revenue from green fees they'll bring in. If their costs are higher than the green fee'ers, they'll be shuttin' the doors. Municipal course, so they don't really give a crap about the membership.

Soon I'll be forced to have to dip into my wallet to play golf. Having the membership makes you tighter on the purse strings. I hate paying green fees. The only saving grace is there are some good deals out there right now.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I am going to try and play in Dec like Dave just to play 12 months of golf in the Ottawa Area! I usually wrap my season up when the courses won't let me out....even played with snow covered greens last fall.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I played twice on the weekend. Both mornings it was around 3 C when we teed off. I put em away when the course closes for the winter. Last year I hauled em back out on Dec.21 for the Pre Christmas Round.
    Then I hauled em back out on Jan.1 for 9 Holes of New Years Golf. Then once again on Jan. 8. That was it though. Clubs went into storage until the course opened back up in April.
    The course I work at now officially closes on November 18 regardless of the weather. I plan on playing there at least 2-3 more times weather permitting. Once the big course is closed there is a 6 hole course opened up on the driving range. So if the weather is decent and there is no snow I can go whack it around there. Can't really putt but at least I can hit the ball. Some of the Super Seniors play there in the winter months if it is not covered in snow. I have been invited to come join in on the fun
    Then back to the course I have my membership it. It stays open until there is snow on the ground.
    There is a 9 hole course in London that tries to stay open all year.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Til the snow sticks for good. The Champlain and VM stay open pretty late in the season. Last year they reopened the course december 25th It was their Christmas present to all ottawa golfers. The following weekend there was snow on the ground. Then all the snow melted and they once again reopened it. I am a bit envious of A fellow forum member though. He has a set up in his double insulated garage where he can play at will any day and anytime of the year
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Just got in 36 holes and wont stop till it snows AND it STAYS!!
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I usually hang them up in August, although the forum day did drag me into september this year.

It's not that I'm a fairweather golfer (Lance can attest to that after what we played in last Jan. lol) ... I just usually run out of patience for the game in mid august.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Putter drisin80 is on a distinguished road
    i have a couple of buddies of like mind who are willing to play as long as it is possible to find the golf ball. played on saturday --37 F high temp with mild winds. i shot four over and got bested. i actually enjoy the challenge. the difference in distance allows for some creative shotmaking. on saturday i had to crush a three wood for a second shot to make the green on a hole which usually requires an 8 iron. my advise- leave the ego at home, revel in the good shots and blame the bad ones on the weather.--tom

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drisin80 View Post
    i have a couple of buddies of like mind who are willing to play as long as it is possible to find the golf ball. played on saturday --37 F high temp with mild winds. i shot four over and got bested. i actually enjoy the challenge. the difference in distance allows for some creative shotmaking. on saturday i had to crush a three wood for a second shot to make the green on a hole which usually requires an 8 iron. my advise- leave the ego at home, revel in the good shots and blame the bad ones on the weather.--tom

Good points on the distance challenges. I know for sure that the ball just does not travel as far when it is cold. I tend to find it usually takes two extra clubs when the temperatures dip into the low 30's. Yesterday on a 135 yard par 3, slightly into the wind 4 of us hit 6 irons, I was the only one on the green.
    My two rounds of 77-78 were pretty solid rounds of golf for this time of year.

Like you said, leave your ego at home at this time of year
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Usually when Emerald Links, Manderley, Meadows are all closed.

Played today, had a great game at Emerald links but today was their closing day.

Putter drisin80 is on a distinguished road
    Golfbum-- right on about the yardages. i'm sure there must be a technical guru that can explain the temperatures effect on modern equiptment--but it is for real. i have a group that plays from april through september on thursday nights-- and many times we don't finish the 18 until after sunset early and late in the year. it is almost incredible how finicky the equipment is. in september and october on nice days when we start at 4:30 the temperature can be in the mid 70s, but you better be ready to adjust your thinking when the sun gets low on the horizon, and the temperature drops 10 to 15 degrees or more. i invariably find myself using at least one club more at these times. playing late year golf finds me grabbing two or three clubs extra, and sometimes more. my own feeling is that the materials of both ball and clubhead and shaft are "tuned" to play optimally under a fairly narrow span of temperature paramaters --- the pros never play under the conditions we do, and complain of cold weather when it is in the 60s! still-- its a lot of fun. one added bonus-- we played in three hours, and never had to wait once (only one other group on the course. tom

Pitching Wedge slpca is on a distinguished road slpca's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Played today, had a great game at Emerald links but today was their closing day.
    I played Emerald today too. It was a great day and I actually hit some great shots with fantastic putts!! WHY can't I do this during the season? Maybe it's because I wasn't keeping score

I'm not sure if I will manage another game here though. I am going to Jamaica for December/January and plan to play Negril Hills (with rentals) at least once - LOVE the course.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Meadows is closed as well
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    Meadows is closed as well
    Gee, you are going to have to get reaquainted with your wife? or start a weekly poker night with the boys

Quote Originally Posted by slpca View Post
    I played Emerald today too. It was a great day and I actually hit some great shots with fantastic putts!! WHY can't I do this during the season? Maybe it's because I wasn't keeping score

I'm not sure if I will manage another game here though. I am going to Jamaica for December/January and plan to play Negril Hills (with rentals) at least once - LOVE the course.
    OMG you lucky thing! Hubby isn't as into golf as me. So likely no golf while on holiday

Glad you had a good day. Everyone was in a good mood to be out so late in the season.

Anyone know when Stonebridge is closing?

I meant to play there for the first time this year but never got round to it. My friends don't want to play there.

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    October 15, but I wish they were open today and tomorrow, had to be a record here in Winnipeg today, +13 and same forcast for tomorrow.
    I golf therfore I swear

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    October 15, but I wish they were open today and tomorrow, had to be a record here in Winnipeg today, +13 and same forcast for tomorrow.
    How could that be? I saw people playing there yesterday?

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about Stonebridge.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Don't play this man for money on snow covered greens. He's the only guy I know that can hole snowballs!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    ... I usually wrap my season up when the courses won't let me out....even played with snow covered greens last fall.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Yup, don't pack it in until the snow comes and stays. Played last year on Dec 22nd I believe. The latest I've ever played in a season.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information