24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 29.17%
  • No

17 70.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings. He turned my dear beloved Nordiques ( no prejudice there in my opinion-he turned down another team as a junior) However what he did yesterday i.e donate $5 million makes me rethink my whole opinion of him

http://www.news1130.com/news/sports/...ntent=s110871A
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    I have mixed feelings. He turned my dear beloved Nordiques ( no prejudice there in my opinion-he turned down another team as a junior) However what he did yesterday i.e donate $5 million makes me rethink my whole opinion of him

Exactly my point Chief.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

he also made the Nordiques (once they moved to Colorado) Stanley Cup Champions...
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

he also made the Nordiques (once they moved to Colorado) Stanley Cup Champions...
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Please NOBODY should compare Lindros and Crosby.

Lindros is arrogant and yes he said he hated Quebec (people spoke french). Ask people living in the Bracebridge region (early '90's) where Lindros spend most of his summer. Not to many nice things were said about him. Ask Elvis (Stojko) what he thinks of him?

As for Crosby, I have met him and he is a real nice guy. Polite and ready to spend some time to sign autograph in the cold and freezing winter. He is like Gretzky.

I don't understand people *ing about a player (Crosby) they have never met. Talk about their play as much as you want but their character should not be discuss unless you know (or heard) about him.

Back to Lindros: he miss 2 years on his own. "I am not playing in Quebec", I will play for team Canada. That was his choice so stats suffered. Also he loved to run players in the board. It is OK when you are 20 but your turn will come. When Stevens nailed him that was set up. The right defenseman guide him up the centre of the ice where Stevens was waiting for him. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. I could say one thing, a lot of players were looking to get him. He was liek the Big Bully at recess. Somebody one day will come around and get him.
    please, if you are saying Sid is a nice guy, i personally wouldn't compare him to Gretzky. I met Gretzky in Winnipeg when my family of 5 were the only people waiting outside the arena during practice for autographs. Gretzky flat out said "No, i will sign after practice" to me, 12yrs old at the time, and by the end of practice there were 100's of people and to be honest, i was no longer interested in "The Not so great one".

As a side note, I met Selanne for the first time that day, he took pictures, signed autographs and talked with my family about everything from the Jets to his "new" Dodge Stealth for at least 20minutes!! Nicest athlete i have met by far.

Anywho, to get back to Lindros... i had no idea there was a conspiracy theory about Stevens' hit being "premeditated". That sounds a little crazy, why was Stevens on the verge of throwing up after the hit?

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    please, if you are saying Sid is a nice guy, i personally wouldn't compare him to Gretzky. I met Gretzky in Winnipeg when my family of 5 were the only people waiting outside the arena during practice for autographs. Gretzky flat out said "No, i will sign after practice" to me, 12yrs old at the time, and by the end of practice there were 100's of people and to be honest, i was no longer interested in "The Not so great one".

As a side note, I met Selanne for the first time that day, he took pictures, signed autographs and talked with my family about everything from the Jets to his "new" Dodge Stealth for at least 20minutes!! Nicest athlete i have met by far.

Anywho, to get back to Lindros... i had no idea there was a conspiracy theory about Stevens' hit being "premeditated". That sounds a little crazy, why was Stevens on the verge of throwing up after the hit?

I don't think he meant pre-meditated, but rather it's the Devils' strategy to push players on breakouts towards Stevens. If he was on my team, I know I would.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I don't think he meant pre-meditated, but rather it's the Devils' strategy to push players on breakouts towards Stevens. If he was on my team, I know I would.
    ah my bad...

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    TSN says the there are 3 items that a player is judged on for eligibility into the HoF.....

1. Career Stats
    2. Impact on the game of hockey
    3. Personal Character

So which one(s) do you believe that Lindros is lacking ?

Personally, I believe it may be a mixture of the Personal Character and his stats are good but not great.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    TSN says the there are 3 items that a player is judged on for eligibility into the HoF.....

1. Career Stats
    2. Impact on the game of hockey
    3. Personal Character

So which one(s) do you believe that Lindros is lacking ?

Personally, I believe it may be a mixture of the Personal Character and his stats are good but not great.
    Can not say for sure, but he has had an interesting career, both on and off the ice.........Read the following Slam Sports article "Not the next One - Top 10 moments in Lindro's career".
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Top10/2007...640712-ca.html

I am sure we all remember "Koo Koo Bananas"..........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Another good article from Slam Sports.........
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...37689-sun.html

I particularly enjoyed the following:

"Everyone on earth was put here for a purpose," Lindros said during one of the hurricane seasons of his career. "Mine is to sell newspapers."

"As a junior, he encountered the Soo Greyhounds wearing black armbands to protest his snub of their team in the OHL draft. As an NHLer, he came face-to-face with the fans he'd insulted by refusing to report to the Quebec Nordiques, playing through a shower of baby soothers and a few bullet casings at Le Colisee."
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I don’t find it that impressive. He donated to a charity that help him throughout his career. Tiger give his money to a foundation to help kids. Other help handicapped kid, cancer foundations…..Now that is more impressive.
    Are you kidding me? The guy made $49 million in his career. He gives 10% of it to a hospital and you look down on that? I think Lindros was pure class. Just the way he conducted the press conference was impressive. None of that blubbering and tears like Messier. God, I am still embarassed thinking about that one.

Guys, Tretiak is in and he never played a game in the NHL. How can you deny Lindros? He had a big impact on the game and he was the premier power forward through the 90s. Not just 1 or 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hhk View Post
    Are you kidding me? The guy made $49 million in his career. He gives 10% of it to a hospital and you look down on that? I think Lindros was pure class. Just the way he conducted the press conference was impressive. None of that blubbering and tears like Messier. God, I am still embarassed thinking about that one.

Guys, Tretiak is in and he never played a game in the NHL. How can you deny Lindros? He had a big impact on the game and he was the premier power forward through the 90s. Not just 1 or 2 seasons.

It is the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the NHL Hall of Fame. People who have contributed to hockey world wide have been inducted into the HOF.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I don’t find it that impressive. He donated to a charity that help him throughout his career. Tiger give his money to a foundation to help kids. Other help handicapped kid, cancer foundations…..Now that is more impressive.

Not sure where you live but let me tell you about the LHSC. It is a network of hospitals in London and one in St Thomas, where I live.

These hospitals are great, and benefit everyone from seniors right down to new born babies.

Yes The Fowler Clinic helped Eric throughout his career. along with many other athletes ( Stevie Y comes to mind) However that clinic helps many local people, and also people from other locations in Ontario.

I spent two weeks in two of these hospitals last year after my heart attack and by pass and trust me they are the best.

The $5 Million that Eric donated will not be wasted. Maybe you were not sure what the LHSC did exactly but now you know.

As for Eric turning down the Nordiques, why hold a bitter grudge about that? That was years ago, when he was a young man. Maybe he did not like the offer, the management team, or simply the team itself.

You have the same rights when you apply for a job. If you do not like their salary offer, benefits or location then you do not take the job. So what is the difference between a drafted hockey player and yourself? Personally, I do not see any difference.

Get over the fact he turned down the Nordiques, it was his choice.

One other thing, not one of us will have a vote on whether he gets in the HHOF, so why worry about it? If he gets in does it alter anyones life? I somehow doubt it. Personally I could care less who is in the HHOF, it is just a building that holds artifacts from former hockey players. Heck there is a puck from the St Thomas JR B Hockey Team in the HHOF.

So why can't Eric Lindros be there?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

So why can't Eric Lindros be there?
    They want nothing to do with Bonnie
    Mahatma Gandhi

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I think he should be in for his entire career. One of the best juniors of all time, a great national team player (junior and prof). This isn't the NFL hall of fame where it's almost impossible to get in, a standard has been set and Eric meets the standard, pure and simple.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    No I’m not kidding. $49M career earning does not count endorsements and dad’s money. We all know the Lindros family are very wealthy.

Like I said, it’s a nice gesture but I’m not impressed and it does not change my opinion about him just because a millionaire throw cash around like that. The amount does not impress me. It’s the way it’s done that impresses me more. What I find impressive is If Lindros would have decided to donate X% of his earning at the age of 20 years old and throughout his career. Not donating money to a hospital that allowed him to play longer and made him more money as a professional athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    The $5 Million that Eric donated will not be wasted. Maybe you were not sure what the LHSC did exactly but now you know.
    No doubt the money will do good to others and I never denied that..
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I think he should be in for his entire career. One of the best juniors of all time, a great national team player (junior and prof).
    That’s a good point. He has had a great career all around but me think Bure should get in before him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwg8IssJrI

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    When Stevens nailed him that was set up. The right defenseman guide him up the centre of the ice where Stevens was waiting for him. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. I could say one thing, a lot of players were looking to get him. He was liek the Big Bully at recess. Somebody one day will come around and get him.
    I have always thought that. At least that’s what it looks like. NJ were known to trap players and in this case it’s hard to deny that Niedermayer forced him to cut inside so that Stevens can get a shot at Lindros. That being said I don’t thing Stevens intended to end his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-XRPcrw

Stevens intended to end his career.

Maybe not. I was watching it last night on replays and stevens' elbow was pretty high. definitely not a shoulder hit.
    Mahatma Gandhi

No I’m not kidding. $49M career earning does not count endorsements and dad’s money. We all know the Lindros family are very wealthy.

Like I said, it’s a nice gesture but I’m not impressed and it does not change my opinion about him just because a millionaire throw cash around like that. The amount does not impress me. It’s the way it’s done that impresses me more. What I find impressive is If Lindros would have decided to donate X% of his earning at the age of 20 years old and throughout his career. Not donating money to a hospital that allowed him to play longer and made him more money as a professional athlete.

Wow, there is no pleasing you. Do you know what the average Canadian gives to charity? 1.4% of their income. Name any NHL player or pro athlete who has done what you suggest - commit a % of his earnings at age 20.

He donated the money to the charity of his choice. My charities of choice are the Canadian Cancer Society and the Canadian Liver Foundation. I chose those organisations because my family has a history of cancer and liver disease. I am such a selfish ***. I should've just handed out my money to orphans in Africa.

I assume there is no point further discussing Lindros with you... the guy could give all of his money to CHEO and you still would find a way to bash that effort, perhaps if he arrived for the press conference in a Cavalier, you would say that there's another $10,000 that he should have donated. I don't understand your mentality?? How many other hockey players have donated $5+million? NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I assume there is no point further discussing Lindros with you... the guy could give all of his money to CHEO and you still would find a way to bash that effort, perhaps if he arrived for the press conference in a Cavalier, you would say that there's another $10,000 that he should have donated. I don't understand your mentality?? How many other hockey players have donated $5+million? NONE!
    There are lots of NHLers who give significant portions of their time and money. But, what impressed me most about the Lindros move was a) his income will be cut drastically and yet he reached into his pocket and gave up $5 mil of his nestegg and b) he set a shining example for other rich, pampered athletes. Now what other prominent NHLer will dare retire without making some sort of philanthropic gesture?

mberube:

Please look at this list and take a moment to re-evaluate your opinion of Lindros's gift:

The Giving Back 30
    List of Largest Charitable Donations
    by Celebrities in 2006

Ranking
    Donor
    Amount
    Donated or
    Pledged
    Recipients
    Oprah Winfrey
    $58,300,000
    Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy,
    Oprah's Angel Network, and other groups
    Geoffrey Beene
    $44,000,000
    (bequest)
    Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
    Jack and Marie
    Lord
    $40,000,000
    (bequest)
    Hawaii Community Foundation
    Barbra Streisand
    $11,750,000
    Barbra Streisand Foundation, numerous
    civil liberties, environmental, and civil
    rights organizations "dedicated to
    democratic values"
    Tiger Woods
    $9,500,000
    Tiger Woods Learning Center, Earl D.
    Woods Sr. Scholarship Fund, and other
    Tiger Woods Foundation programs
    Rosie O'Donnell
    $5,700,000
    Katrina Relief efforts including
    Renaissance Village (a temporary shelter
    for Katrina victims), day care centers, a
    rehabilitation center in San Antonio, and a
    Habitat for Humanity sub division in Baton
    Rouge
    Martha Stewart
    $5,000,000
    New York's Mt. Sinai Hospital for a center
    on healthy aging
    Carmelo Anthony
    $4,282,000
    CAF Youth Center in Baltimore, AAU
    Basketball, Syracuse University
    Recreational Center, and other charities
    Pat and Shirley
    Boone
    $3,000,000
    Pepperdine University for the Graduate
    School of Education and Psychology
    Center for the Family
    10 LeRoy Neiman
    $3,000,000
    The School of the Art Institute of Chicago to
    support a Master's class in figure drawing

Yes, Lindros's gift ties him with Martha Stewart. Martha Stewart is a billionairre. For sports celebrities, he is second only to Tiger Woods. Woods's 2006 income is estimated at $99 million.

mberube:

Please look at this list and take a moment to re-evaluate your opinion of Lindros's gift:
    Dude! Are you that set on me liking the guy??? I’m entitled to my opinion. Give it a break. As for your list, I don’t car. It’s a list of people that have too much money and giving it to a charity is a grateful thing to do but IT DOES NOT IMPRESS ME!!!

Giving that amount of money way for those people does not make a dent in their budgets. Unless you guys are Lindros financial advisory, you have no idea the impact it make on his budget. What’s the difference between $40M and $35M? It doesn’t make a difference to me. Give me $35M and will give half away to charity. Heck I’ll keep $5M and give the rest away.

What Redden does for local and handicapped kids is more impressive in my opinion.

My family and me donate time every year for the breast cancer foundation and we raised 35 thousand dollars this October during a fashion show at the casino. The preparations last 4 mounts. Ottawa hospital doctors and nurses also donated their time for the cause. Now that is impressive. I think it’s worth more then 1.4% of my income. Don’t you? Regular people donating time to raise money for a cause they believe in. Not some ultra reach spoiled kid, throwing money away to redeem himself.

In conclusion I’m entitled to my opinion and so are you so let’s just drop it. This is going nowhere.

Mike

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Mike, with all due respect, any charity is good charity and should not be put in a negative context. Every penny is appreciated and does not have to be given by anyone. If someone does it for a tax advantage or out of the goodness of their own hearts, it's a GOOD thing. I can see you don't like Lindros, but your view on the giving to charity is rather baffling.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hey guys, I don,t see anywhere that Mike said it was a bad thing for sports players to give to charity, in fact I see at one point he said it was good that they did.... all he has been saying that he is not 'impressed' with the donation, in other words it doesn't make him like Lindros anymore as a player... which is true.

Dude! Are you that set on me liking the guy??? I’m entitled to my opinion. Give it a break. As for your list, I don’t car. It’s a list of people that have too much money and giving it to a charity is a grateful thing to do but IT DOES NOT IMPRESS ME!!!

Giving that amount of money way for those people does not make a dent in their budgets. Unless you guys are Lindros financial advisory, you have no idea the impact it make on his budget. What’s the difference between $40M and $35M? It doesn’t make a difference to me. Give me $35M and will give half away to charity. Heck I’ll keep $5M and give the rest away.

What Redden does for local and handicapped kids is more impressive in my opinion.

My family and me donate time every year for the breast cancer foundation and we raised 35 thousand dollars this October during a fashion show at the casino. The preparations last 4 mounts. Ottawa hospital doctors and nurses also donated their time for the cause. Now that is impressive. I think it’s worth more then 1.4% of my income. Don’t you? Regular people donating time to raise money for a cause they believe in. Not some ultra reach spoiled kid, throwing money away to redeem himself.

In conclusion I’m entitled to my opinion and so are you so let’s just drop it. This is going nowhere.

Mike
    Hey guys, I don,t see anywhere that Mike said it was a bad thing for sports players to give to charity, in fact I see at one point he said it was good that they did.... all he has been saying that he is not 'impressed' with the donation, in other words it doesn't make him like Lindros anymore as a player... which is true.

I think the bolded quote is what Donny is referring to. Although he doesn't say it's a bad thing, I'm sure these folks could easily just hoard the cash they earn. But rather they realize how good they have it, and make a substantial donation to a cause they believe in.

I think the bolded quote is what Donny is referring to. Although he doesn't say it's a bad thing, I'm sure these folks could easily just hoard the cash they earn. But rather they realize how good they have it, and make a substantial donation to a cause they believe in.
    Look at the quote Geoff, he says it is a greatful (great?) thing.

Look at the quote Geoff, he says it is a greatful (great?) thing.

I'm aware, but I think it's his tone that makes it seem like he doesn't think athletes/celebrities donating to charity is a good thing. The grateful remark just seems like a passing notion.

I'm aware, but I think it's his tone that makes it seem like he doesn't think athletes/celebrities donating to charity is a good thing. The grateful remark just seems like a passing notion.
    I think the tone is justified the way some guys have gone at him but hey, its not my battle was just pointing out the way I am reading it.

Thread Information