• Yes

7 29.17%
  • No

17 70.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Lindros' career was not only cut short by injuries... he sat out two separate seasons in whiney disputes. As far as I am concerned, had the ability to be in the Hall of Fame, but not the heart.
    Numbers don't tell the whole story. You don't have to have great numbers to be an impact player. Neely was an impact player because of the way he led, he hit and he fought to win. Lindros was an impact player for maybe 3 seasons, and a whiney distraction to any team he played for for every other season.
    Well said and I totally agree.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I don’t find it that impressive. He donated to a charity that help him throughout his career. Tiger give his money to a foundation to help kids. Other help handicapped kid, cancer foundations…..Now that is more impressive.
    I can't understand how you don't find donating $5million to anything impressive and great??

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I like Roy as a goalie but I've never liked him as a person. Regardless of who was right or wrong, he acted like a baby in that situation.

What I am getting at is look what a player did on the ice not all the rest of the BS that comes with some guys. I'm not gonna argue against Roy's on ice contributions he was one of the best ever.

I'm not saying I agreed with Lindros and some of his stance's, I am just saying leave it out of the equation.
    I agree. Roy was not very likable player but I think both are in completely different categories. The QC and Philly lockout issue is not on the same level as the Roy trade issue. One has everything to do with racism.

IMO the HOF should not only be about hockey it should also be about conduct on and off the ice. To me the HoF is about accomplishments and honour. What you gave back is a great part of the talent. Crosby is the ideal model.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    racism? please explain that comment.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    That is completely different. Roy was humiliated in front of his hometown crowed by a new coach that had no idea what he was doing. Roy had already won 2 cups and was still the top goalie in the league even though the Habs were in the rut. It was a pissing contest and the wrong guy won.

Lindros was an overconfident arrogant SOB that had not proved himself at that time. What he did with QC should be made illegal in the NHL and he should have not played elsewhere then in QC. That being said QC benefited immensely from this but that is another thread. I have no respect for this guy. He got what he disserved in the long run.

Mike

I wouldn't say possibly having life long lingering effects from several concussions is fair trade for refusing to play for a hockey team. I would never wish poor health on someone for what they did to try and further their professional career. I think that's taking it a bit far.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I think prejudice would be a better choice of words of here.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I agree. Roy was not very likable player but I think both are in completely different categories. The QC and Philly lockout issue is not on the same level as the Roy trade issue. One has everything to do with racism.

IMO the HOF should not only be about hockey it should also be about conduct on and off the ice. To me the HoF is about accomplishments and honour. What you gave back is a great part of the talent. Crosby is the ideal model.
    It had nothing to do with racism and everything to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    exactly. He wanted to maximize his exposure and take advantage of off ice endoresment contracts. Doing that in QC just wasn't going to be the same as doing it in a big American City.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I think prejudice would be a better choice of words of here.
    I think neither Geoff. I'm a bit surprised we are going down this road....

I think neither Geoff. I'm a bit surprised we are going down this road....

I agree neither as well, just stating that perhaps that would've been a better choice of a word for Mike to get his point across.

the HHOF is not about off ice issues, its about the NHL "Hockey" players. You really believe you have to be a good guy off the ice to get in the HHOF??? There are A LOT of players that were good at hockey and not necessarily great guys.

I really don't think you can sold the SSMarie or Quebec, he was a kid who had parents that were looking out for what they thought was best for him, nothing more.

I can't really distinguish Lindros from Crosby to be honest. They are both puppets being told what to do by others, the only difference is that Crosby has the right people and Lindros had the wrong people. I really think its after a players career that shows what type of guy he is. Lindros didn't donate the 5mil cause he was told it was "the best marketable thing to do" it was because these people helped him so much and he wanted to give back to them, and in turn the community of London who benefit greatly from it.

He said in plain English that his disliked French people and did not what to play in QC.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I think money was not issue since no offer was ever put on the table from QC. Lindros did not have chance to refuse a contract. If I recall correctly he did not even come down to the QC management the day he was drafted.

they offered him $50M over 10 years.

Quebec has the highest taxes in North America as well.

Please provide the quote where Lindros says he dislike's French people.

He said in plain English that his disliked French people and did not what to play in QC.

That would still be prejudice against french speaking canadians. Last time I checked people living in Quebec were still canadian. Not racisim. That is a pretty strong choice of words.

I think money was not issue since no offer was ever put on the table from QC. Lindros did not have chance to refuse a contract. If I recall correctly he did not even come down to the QC management the day he was drafted.
    they offered him $50M over 10 years.

Quebec has the highest taxes in North America as well.

Mike, if I recall correctly, the Nordiques did make an offer and the Lindros camp refused. He just didn't want to play in Quebec because of finances and the management. Like I said, he's been my favourite player since junior, and I don't remember him saying he didn't like french people. But I do remember the media putting that spin on it because he snubbed the Nordiques.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    At the time, he was looking at money in a bigger picture sense than just salary. He expected to make more much more than his salary through endorsements, and to do that he felt he needed to be in a bigger market than Quebec City.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    the HHOF is not about off ice issues, its about the NHL "Hockey" players. You really believe you have to be a good guy off the ice to get in the HHOF??? There are A LOT of players that were good at hockey and not necessarily great guys.
    I know that and that’s why I wrote IMO the HOF should not only be about hockey it should also be about conduct on and off the ice

I can't really distinguish Lindros from Crosby to be honest. They are both puppets being told what to do by others, the only difference is that Crosby has the right people and Lindros had the wrong people. I really think its after a players career that shows what type of guy he is. Lindros didn't donate the 5mil cause he was told it was "the best marketable thing to do" it was because these people helped him so much and he wanted to give back to them, and in turn the community of London who benefit greatly from it.
    Here I don't agree. Crosby is a class “A” guy off the ice since junior. This kid has got a head on his shoulders. He has never looked like an arrogant SOB or said NO to the Penguins because they had no team of whatever reason a young super star could muster up. He even still tries to speak French when he plays in MTL. He is a very respectable young kid. Well brought up.

As for the money. Look, Lindros was a millionaire before he signed his first contract in the HNL. $5M is not a big deal for him although it is a nice gesture but not something that through me off my chair.

I’m look for the article but it’s hard to find. I have read it back in the day I’m pretty sure. Unless I’m off the map completely, I’m pretty sure it’s something he said publicly.

That would still be prejudice against french speaking canadians. Last time I checked people living in Quebec were still canadian. Not racisim. That is a pretty strong choice of words.

Sorry wrong wording and for the record I’m not a separatist. I see French and English people as two different races that live in the same multicultural country. We have ancestor that come different countries.

Did not mean to offend anybody.

Mike, if I recall correctly, the Nordiques did make an offer and the Lindros camp refused. He just didn't want to play in Quebec because of finances and the management. Like I said, he's been my favourite player since junior, and I don't remember him saying he didn't like french people. But I do remember the media putting that spin on it because he snubbed the Nordiques.
    Maybe so. I’m looking into it. Not busy at work today.

Maybe so. I’m looking into it. Not busy at work today.

Me neither!

Me neither!
    I still can find it. The only thing I found is this:

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1768...sports/lindros

It looks like it might be something Quebec fan started and the media picked up.

The Nordiques offered him $1.5M contract according to CBC.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    In an interview on Sportsnet last night, he said the reason he would not sign with the Nordiques had nothing to do with the language. He said he did not like the team ownership, but would not elaborate any further.

Here I don't agree. Crosby is a class “A” guy off the ice since junior. This kid has got a head on his shoulders. He has never looked like an arrogant SOB or said NO to the Penguins because they had no team of whatever reason a young super star could muster up. He even still tries to speak French when he plays in MTL. He is a very respectable young kid. Well brought up.

As for the money. Look, Lindros was a millionaire before he signed his first contract in the HNL. $5M is not a big deal for him although it is a nice gesture but not something that through me off my chair.
    Sid played in Rimouski for two years, so i assume that's where he picked the french up from, if not from his parents. Eric played in Oshawa hence not really learning french.

Just as arrogant as Eric was, so were the Nordiques... he told them MONTHS, if not a year in advance that he would not play there, yet they still drafted him. He is not the first player to refuse to play on a certain team, nor will he be the last. I don't recall him ever saying he didn't like french people, but you could be right.

Sid does seem to have a head on his shoulders, it just doesn't seem to be his to me. I just personally have never been a fan of him off-ice... he just seems to be WAY to rehearsed, but i guess if you wanna be the face of the league and get the big endorsements, its what you gotta be. I would really like to meet and talk with him, perhaps he really is a good kid.

Sorry wrong wording and for the record I’m not a separatist. I see French and English people as two different races that live in the same multicultural country. We have ancestor that come different countries.

that's the great thing about our country, we have MANY races here, not just english and french. I really look at that as two different languages not races, i know there are many different races between the two different language speaking people.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Mike,

I dont think anyone was offended by the comment but I would not agree that french and english Canadians are of a different 'race' I would see it more as the same race but from different and diverse cultural backgrounds.

Bob

Sid played in Rimouski for two years, so i assume that's where he picked the french up from, if not from his parents. Eric played in Oshawa hence not really learning french.
    You are missing my point. It would be easy for Sid to stop taking French since he is not QC anymore. I could care less if he or any other player spoke French when interviewed. All I’m saying is that he makes the effort. He learned some French in Rimouski and he is very bad at it but he tries and that show respect for his fans from his junior days. It has nothing to do with Lindros not speaking French.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Please NOBODY should compare Lindros and Crosby.

Lindros is arrogant and yes he said he hated Quebec (people spoke french). Ask people living in the Bracebridge region (early '90's) where Lindros spend most of his summer. Not to many nice things were said about him. Ask Elvis (Stojko) what he thinks of him?

As for Crosby, I have met him and he is a real nice guy. Polite and ready to spend some time to sign autograph in the cold and freezing winter. He is like Gretzky.

I don't understand people *ing about a player (Crosby) they have never met. Talk about their play as much as you want but their character should not be discuss unless you know (or heard) about him.

Back to Lindros: he miss 2 years on his own. "I am not playing in Quebec", I will play for team Canada. That was his choice so stats suffered. Also he loved to run players in the board. It is OK when you are 20 but your turn will come. When Stevens nailed him that was set up. The right defenseman guide him up the centre of the ice where Stevens was waiting for him. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. I could say one thing, a lot of players were looking to get him. He was liek the Big Bully at recess. Somebody one day will come around and get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Please NOBODY should compare Lindros and Crosby.

Lindros is arrogant and yes he said he hated Quebec (people spoke french). Ask people living in the Bracebridge region (early '90's) where Lindros spend most of his summer. Not to many nice things were said about him. Ask Elvis (Stojko) what he thinks of him?

As for Crosby, I have met him and he is a real nice guy. Polite and ready to spend some time to sign autograph in the cold and freezing winter. He is like Gretzky.

I don't understand people *ing about a player (Crosby) they have never met. Talk about their play as much as you want but their character should not be discuss unless you know (or heard) about him.

Back to Lindros: he miss 2 years on his own. "I am not playing in Quebec", I will play for team Canada. That was his choice so stats suffered. Also he loved to run players in the board. It is OK when you are 20 but your turn will come. When Stevens nailed him that was set up. The right defenseman guide him up the centre of the ice where Stevens was waiting for him. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. I could say one thing, a lot of players were looking to get him. He was liek the Big Bully at recess. Somebody one day will come around and get him.

I would have to agree with you about not judging someone's character unless you know or have met them personally. And I emphasize met. You seem biased towards having a liking for Crosby because you've met him and he seems like a nice person in your opinion. Yet you bash Lindros based on what you've heard. Perhaps in person Lindros is just as nice as Crosby. But based on your pre-conceived notion about him from what you've heard, I bet you wouldn't give him the time of day.

The same thing went on in the Pats/Colts thread. People stating they hate Belichick just based on what they've heard, yet they've never met him. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Thread Information