• Yes

7 29.17%
  • No

17 70.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar

Lindros in Hall of Fame?

It has been debated all over the sports channels.What do you think should he be in the hockey hall of fame or not when he is eligible in 2010?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Ever since junior, he's been my favourite player, but I'd have to say no, he does not belong in the Hall of Fame.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    He was dominant in the 90s, soooo much better than Cam Neely and others in the hall. I say he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    He was dominant in the 90s, soooo much better than Cam Neely and others in the hall. I say he deserves it.

I only say no because he career was cut short due to injuries and he never attained any of the magic numbers: 400/500 goals, 1000 pts. About the only thing he's got going for him is one Hart trophy and a pts/game average of 1.1 something. Still not enough to get in if you ask me. And I didn't say he won't get in, I just don't think he deserves it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    No way. He was dominant for 2...maybe 2 and a half seasons. He COULD have been a hall of famer, but he wasn't. Not even close.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I only say no because he career was cut short due to injuries and he never attained any of the magic numbers: 400/500 goals, 1000 pts. About the only thing he's got going for him is one Hart trophy and a pts/game average of 1.1 something. Still not enough to get in if you ask me. And I didn't say he won't get in, I just don't think he deserves it.
    I don't disagree with you completely, but you also have to remember that was a really low scoring period in NHL history. The 1.15 or whatever it is stacks up really well in those years. I don't think Neely should be in the hall either, but he is in, and Lindros was a MUCH better player.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'm gonna say yes.

spackler mentioned Neeley. My thoughts exactly. Very comparable stats. Have a look. Lindros is on the left.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    You guys better watch what you say because his mommy will be all other this thread...lol

LOSER ----- NO

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    CAM
    726 games 395 goals and 299 assists for 694 points.
    LINDROS
    762 games 372 goals and 492 assists for 865 points.

His numbers are better.... I say yes!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I have to say, his numbers are better than I thought. He really went downhill in his last few years though (even before his concussion problems). I think he does deserve consideration, but he certainly shouldn't get in in his first years of eligibility.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Very mixed feelings on this one.........

Mackenzie was interviewed on the Team late today and he had mixed feelings as many...........

From this "Old School days"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlVcYstFVHs

To the not so pleasant years......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-XRPcrw
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Why not compare Lindros to these guys. Some of them actually played 1000 games. Would you put any of them in the Hall of Fame.

Theoren Fleury: G 455 Pts 1088 Pts/G 1+
    Ray Ferraro: G 408 Pts 898 Pts/G 0,75
    Steve Thomas: G 421 Pts 933 Pts/G 0,8
    Alex Mogilny: G 473 Pts 1032 Pts/G 1+
    Vin Damphousse: G 432 Pts 1205 Pts/G 0,9
    Ray Sheppard: G 357 Pts 657 Pts/G 0,8
    Brian Propp: G 425 Pts 1004 Pts/G 0,95
    Bernie Nicholls: G 475 Pts 1209 Pts/G 1+
    Dave Taylor: G 431 Pts 1069 Pts/G 0,95
    Bobby Smith: G 357 Pts 1036 Pts/G 0,99
    Steve Larmer: G 441 Pts 1012 Pts/G 1+
    Adam Oates: G 341 Pts 1420 Pts/G 1+
    Rick Middleton: G 444 Pts 988 Pts/G 0,95
    Rick Tocchet: G 440 Pts 952 Pts/G 0,85
    Peter Bondra: G 503 Pts 892 Pts/G 0,8+
    Tony Amonte: G 416 Pts 900 Pts/G 0,8

Interesting...

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar
    Anybody gets in the hockey hall of fame. Even a waterboy

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Geoff I do not see your reasoning on Eric not being voted into the Hall of Fame. You base it on the fact his career was cut short by injuries. Is that totally his fault? That should not be a factor at all.
    Base it on his playing career, nothing else.

You guys all know he will get into the Hall of Fame.

Now, take time to read this article for those of you who think he is a jerk.

The Big E doesn't say good-bye in small ways.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Geoff I do not see your reasoning on Eric not being voted into the Hall of Fame. You base it on the fact his career was cut short by injuries. Is that totally his fault? That should not be a factor at all.
    Base it on his playing career, nothing else.
    You guys all know he will get into the Hall of Fame.

Now, take time to read this article for those of you who think he is a jerk.

The Big E doesn't say good-bye in small ways.

Like I said, I never stated he wouldn't get in, I just don't think he belongs. And like chipandput pointed out, getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame is not as difficult as some other sports. Should Cam Neely be in the HOF? Personally, I'd say no. The HOF should be there to showcase career excellence and the elite after they have finished their playing careers. Has Neely done anything that others have bettered who are not in the HOF? Did Neely have a great and impactful (is that even a word? LOL!) career, sure. But would I put him up there with the greats of the game deserving to be in the HOF, no I wouldn't. To me, perhaps the criteria should be set higher. Perhaps players need to reach certain numbers or win certain amounts of awards or championships to be considered. Just my opinion.

Look at the Baseball HOF. There are many players deserving, but because the voters hold the players to higher standards only the elite of the elite usually make it in to the BHOF.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    To me, to be in the hall of fame, one has to make a mark on hockey in a positive way so much that one's retirement leaves that person being missed. The only mark Eric has left on hockey is to defy the draft process. He did it in junior when he refused to play for the Soo and in Quebec. He hasn't been missed for sometime.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    IMHO the Hockey Hall of Fame has been a bit too lenient over the years with allowing players in. It is way easier to get in there then Cooperstown. Based on some selections that have gone in (Neely, Federko, Gillies) he belongs. Based on what I think the Hall should be about (the best of the best) he does not.

I don't think you can base it on points alone, since his career was cut short by injuries. His points per game is 14th all time and he was one of the if not the most dominant player of his time when he was at his best.

Like Neely, he was redefined his position and was a rare blend of speed, size, strength and talent.

Forget his tantrum about not wanting to play for Quebec. If we want to talk tantrum's let's talk about Roy throwing a hissy fit about being left in too long and then demanding a trade from the Habs and he's a shoe in for the Hall.

Of that list above, I would put Oates in the others I would take a pass on.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moochie View Post
    To me, to be in the hall of fame, one has to make a mark on hockey in a positive way so much that one's retirement leaves that person being missed. The only mark Eric has left on hockey is to defy the draft process. He did it in junior when he refused to play for the Soo and in Quebec. He hasn't been missed for sometime.
    This is why I voted no.... yes he was a good player but he was not about hockey, he was about what is good for Eric Lindros.

Now having said that, I have a feeling he will get voted in based on some of the other 'members' that have gotten in with similar or even lower numbers.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i voted no. but i feel that he should be let in just becuase he has spent so many days on the injured list and keeps coming back for more. he was good in that sense for hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    i voted no. but i feel that he should be let in just becuase he has spent so many days on the injured list and keeps coming back for more. he was good in that sense for hockey.

I wouldn't go that far. At one point, after the true amount of concussions he had were made public, many feared for his well being. Many thought his career would end with one more head injury and perhaps it would've caused chronic problems for the rest of his life.

Not sure if anyone else on this board heard this story:

Scott Stevens' wife was sitting rinkside one game, and when she watched her husband in the pre game skate, she could tell he had a look in his eye, a look she said she's seen before. And everytime she's seen that look, bad things have happened. So she asked to be moved up to a section further away from the ice. She didn't want to be rinkside if anything went down. Sure enough, that was the game Stevens' laid out Lindros with that thundering hit at the blue line. And as the story goes, after the game, Stevens' was almost physically sick with guilt because he thought he ended Lindros' career.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i think he should get in, first ballot. The only reason he might not, is because of his off-ice things, with SS Greyhounds and the Quebec Nordiques. People will hold it against him that he refused to play for these teams and "bucked" the system. I just don't think you can hold it against him.

For almost 7 full years he was the dominant force in the NHL, he basically ushered in a new mold of hockey player that had never been seen before. He made it to the finals once, won a Hart Trophy and Lester Pearson and played for Canada 9 times in his career. I will tell you if he played concussion free for his career, i really think he would still be dominant!

As much as people hated the way he came into the league, you can't deny how great his exit was! He donated the 2nd most amount of money by any athlete ever, ahead of his is only Tiger who donated to his own charity so its not really the same.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post

Not sure if anyone else on this board heard this story:

Scott Stevens' wife was sitting rinkside one game, and when she watched her husband in the pre game skate, she could tell he had a look in his eye, a look she said she's seen before. And everytime she's seen that look, bad things have happened. So she asked to be moved up to a section further away from the ice. She didn't want to be rinkside if anything went down. Sure enough, that was the game Stevens' laid out Lindros with that thundering hit at the blue line. And as the story goes, after the game, Stevens' was almost physically sick with guilt because he thought he ended Lindros' career.

Ya i heard that too. Not only that but when that hit happened, players on both Philly and Jersey instantly said "this guy is done, he'll never be the same!" The fact that the other players on the bench instantly knew that Lindros, a tower player, was instantly done!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    thats insane

We have to remember the original question though. foxman asked, "should", not "will" Lindros be in the HOF.

Like I said, he'll probably end up in the HOF, but should he be there, no? And he should not be there along with many others. Baseball has it right in their voting.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Lindros' career was not only cut short by injuries... he sat out two separate seasons in whiney disputes. As far as I am concerned, had the ability to be in the Hall of Fame, but not the heart.
    Numbers don't tell the whole story. You don't have to have great numbers to be an impact player. Neely was an impact player because of the way he led, he hit and he fought to win. Lindros was an impact player for maybe 3 seasons, and a whiney distraction to any team he played for for every other season.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    He was as tuff as they came until the concussions came along. You just had to guess that his time would come. He aggravated too many big hitters in the league.

I say NO! If Pavel Bure is still not in, Lindros is way down the list IMO.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    The HoF has proven over the years by inviting guys like Clarke Gilles to join that they have no standards at all for membership....Eric is a no brain first ballot guy based on some of the others that are already in there.

I have no time for any discussions about off-ice activities IMO the HoF is to recognize a players accomplishments on the ice/field/court etc.

Pete Rose should be in the Hall, Barry Bonds should go in with the waiting period waived and Eric Lindros should be in as well

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Forget his tantrum about not wanting to play for Quebec. If we want to talk tantrum's let's talk about Roy throwing a hissy fit about being left in too long and then demanding a trade from the Habs and he's a shoe in for the Hall.

That is completely different. Roy was humiliated in front of his hometown crowed by a new coach that had no idea what he was doing. Roy had already won 2 cups and was still the top goalie in the league even though the Habs were in the rut. It was a pissing contest and the wrong guy won.

Lindros was an overconfident arrogant SOB that had not proved himself at that time. What he did with QC should be made illegal in the NHL and he should have not played elsewhere then in QC. That being said QC benefited immensely from this but that is another thread. I have no respect for this guy. He got what he disserved in the long run.

Mike

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I like Roy as a goalie but I've never liked him as a person. Regardless of who was right or wrong, he acted like a baby in that situation.

What I am getting at is look what a player did on the ice not all the rest of the BS that comes with some guys. I'm not gonna argue against Roy's on ice contributions he was one of the best ever.

I'm not saying I agreed with Lindros and some of his stance's, I am just saying leave it out of the equation.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    As much as people hated the way he came into the league, you can't deny how great his exit was! He donated the 2nd most amount of money by any athlete ever, ahead of his is only Tiger who donated to his own charity so its not really the same.
    I don’t find it that impressive. He donated to a charity that help him throughout his career. Tiger give his money to a foundation to help kids. Other help handicapped kid, cancer foundations…..Now that is more impressive.

Thread Information