CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Brady or Manning

All things being equal who is the best quarter back?
    Brady or Manning?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I knew someone would post this...

I think to compare this you have to look at only the stats from 2001-2007 because brady wasn't the starter the year prior to 2001.

Brady

G------Att----- Comp -----Yds----- TD -----Int
    104 --3360 -----2114 ----24244 --180 -----82

Manning
    104 --3470 -----2285 ----27357 ---204 ----85

These stats include this weeks games

I would go with manning even though brady has more Championships. I have no reason to believe this but because manning grew up around football I think he lives and dies football. He also might have a higher football IQ. It really is to close to tell, and that is the reason I'm forcred to look at other things like who their fathers are..haha

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I would go Peyton too. He's got the mechanics, the brain, the size and the stamina. He's the perfect prototypical QB to build a franchise around. He's almost flawless. Brady is a sure as heck first ballot hall of famer. I'd compare him more to a Joe Namath type whereas Peyton is a Unitas/Montana type.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the championships since a QB does not win the Super Bowl, a QB plays on an offense that's part of a Super Bowl winning team. The defenses and special teams deserve just as much credit as the offense.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    how can you talk about these two without also talking about ryan leaf?

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    how can you talk about these two without also talking about ryan leaf?
    He does not want to talk with me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMe0Rz1frdE
    Mahatma Gandhi

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    For me, the quarterback should inspire a team, so the most important factor in determining best quarterback of all time should simply be Super Bowl wins.

That will mean you also have lots of regular season wins. I would not be afraid to go to the big game with Montana, Bradshaw or Brady (if I want to win). Stats for me are not that important but all that is important is to win.

This is the same way I evaluate goalies, pitchers etc...

Jeff George is a good example. This guy had everything (size, arm strength, good delivery, etc...) but he was a loser. I wouldn't bet $1 on this guy.

Patrick Roy, Ken Dryden, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, etc... always made the right move to win. The closer the game the better they played. There was no way they would beat Roy in the overtime in '92-93. It is just something these players have.

At the end of the day for ME winning is everything.

In sports, I like to play with people that want to win. They would sacrifice stats for win. We can all name some players around us or at the professionnal level that are winners.

Leaders: Mario Lemieux, Gretzky, Michael Jordan, ... they all make their team better by being leaders and make the other players around them better. I had a chance to sit behind the Patriots bench 2 years ago in Buffalo and I couldn't believe all the talk Brady does during the game with the other players on the bench. No whining, no complaining but lots of encouragement to offensive and defensive players. All the players seem to respect him a lot and they seem to love him. I like at the end of the game on Sunday (vs Colts) he headbutt all of the offensive linemen. Don't you think these guys didn't like being recognize on National TV by their leader... you have to love it.

Man, I can't believe I went on for so long...

I like at the end of the game on Sunday (vs Colts) he headbutt all of the offensive linemen
    to quote a famous Texan reporter: They was afraid he'd break his neck and be out for da rest o'the season"

Just kidding I couldn't help it
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Brady all day..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I would go Peyton too. He's got the mechanics, the brain, the size and the stamina. He's the perfect prototypical QB to build a franchise around. He's almost flawless. Brady is a sure as heck first ballot hall of famer. I'd compare him more to a Joe Namath type whereas Peyton is a Unitas/Montana type.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the championships since a QB does not win the Super Bowl, a QB plays on an offense that's part of a Super Bowl winning team. The defenses and special teams deserve just as much credit as the offense.
    I don't see the mechanics, to be honest. Why do his balls look so ugly in the air? They look like ducks (although in fairness, they are uncannily accurate), and nobody can deny his happy feet when there are "protection problems."

Comparisons are always difficult. You have the guys who played in the 60s and 70s who say, Oh that Johnny Unitas would put up 75 TDs in today's NFL (thats BS!)...players are smarter, better prepared, faster, and stronger than the old players, so I guess we only have these types of comparisons, Manning vs. Brady, to make.

Knowing what we know now, I would take Brady. Too clutch for Manning.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Brady in a heartbeat. When it is all said and done, this guy will go down as #1 or #2 all time. He is a clutch performer, as he showed on sunday being down 10 pts with 9 min to go. 3 super bowls is not an accident either. I also love the fact that is so low key and so cool, something I really admire in an athlete.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    For me, the quarterback should inspire a team, so the most important factor in determining best quarterback of all time should simply be Super Bowl wins.
    Do you consider Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson better quarterbacks than Dan Marino?? They both have a SB ring and Marino doesn't have one.

Do you consider Cam Ward and J.S. Giguere better goalies than Roberto Luongo? You can't just go on Rings, as some guys have better teams than others.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    rings aren't everything, but they are meaningful when you start talking about the great ones. Some guys will their team to wins - it's like this in any sport. Marino was an exception, there are very few players that were considered the best at what they did (in any sport) with at least one championship....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    Do you consider Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson better quarterbacks than Dan Marino?? They both have a SB ring and Marino doesn't have one.
    No, but the comparison works if you compare qbs of a similar era with good teams. Elway and Montana got their teams over the hump, where Marino did not. Take away Elway's two SBs and give them to Marino. Elway is still a hall of famer, but not one of the best QBs in history. If Marino had two SBs, he's right there with Montana, where he's not even close right now.

In any case, BOTH Manning and Brady have the rings. Peyton was clutch last year in the championship game, while Brady was not. I'd probably still take Brady, but the two of them are heads and shoulders above anyone else playing right now. You couldn't go wrong either way.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I knew someone would post this...

I think to compare this you have to look at only the stats from 2001-2007 because brady wasn't the starter the year prior to 2001.

Brady

104 --3360 -----2114 ----24244 --180 -----82

Manning
    104 --3470 -----2285 ----27357 ---204 ----85
    I was definately going with Brady until I saw these actual stats....these prove to me beyone any doubt that Brady is heads and shoulders above Manning. Manning has always had an elite receiver and a star running back playing along side him.

With the possible exception of his rookie year, this is the only year that Brady has had the kind of weapons around him that Manning has always had and look at the numbers.......Brady isn't nearly as far behind as I would have expected given all that Manning has had to work with over the years.

And don't forget that Manning plays under PERFECT conditions a minimum of 8 games a year. Brady doens't have that going for him.

Based on the Stats, Brady is the better man - I also think he is the Smarter man as well

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Come on Dave, don't hit below the belt...lol. Johnson and Dilfer were one hit wonder. I can name lots of players that have been good for 6 months and have help their team to victory. That is why I want to see Manning do it at least one more time.

Here are some one hit wonders. Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Steve Penny, etc... were all great for one play-off but...

Gigučre is interesting. He was awesome about 3 years ago when Anaheim lost in the final and last year he won the cup. Give him time and see what happen.

Luongo, one of my favorite player. As good as he was last year he screwed up on the winning goal in OT. He still has time to win a few cups...

I don't know why some player just don't seem to be able to put their team over the top. The Dolphins are good example with Marino. Incompletion at the wrong time, interception in the end zone, fumble at the end of the game, scored too fast and gave the other team time to score at the end of the game, etc... there was always something that happen for him to lose. Jim Kelly was another one that come to mind. The Bills broke my heart 4 years in a row. One of the best team ever and one of the really good QB but not recognition. They just couldn't win the big one. Frank Tarkenton is another one, all the stats in the world but no SB. Then you have Bradshaw, no stats but man he always found a way to win. Sometime it was lucky (immaculate reception) but what can you do... 4 Super Bowls.

To be good it takes lots of talent but to win you need lots of leadership and a bit of luck...

Leadership: somebody that inspire his team, control his emotion, makes everybody around him better, respected by his teamates, etc...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I like them both. If I must choose, then Brady it is. In the last quarter of any game, he reminds me, in some ways, of Johnny Unitas. They are both unbelievably calm under pressure, and each is remarkably precise in their passing. Montana was no slouch either.

I know that this should be in another thread but the thought of Johnny U throwing sideline passes to Ray Berry and Lenny Moore makes me smile. What does that say about my age?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thread Information