100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    As per your last post. Here are just some of the unwritten rules about running up the score on teams in these sports. They have these in every sport dude.
    YOU WROTE THOSE! That doesn't qualify as proof.

Also...aren't those no longer unwritten rules

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Also...aren't those no longer unwritten rules
    haha

why are you still awake?!?!?!?!?!?

I didn't write those rules, I got them off the net

Are you in ottawa next summer or still doing the school thing?

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I'm an asshole, but not that much of an asshole. I won't, however, give them a 3 footer to halve or win the hole. Not on your life. Putt for dough. You gotta earn the win. If that pisses someone off, or throws them off their game, that isn't my fault. Earn the victory.

And I'm not saying there are no unwritten rules. I haven't said that anywhere. I have just said that there is no unwritten rule about embarrassing the other team. I have said it a number of times. If you're a professional, and you get blown out, it's your own fault. You're embarrassing yourself. The number one rule in any sport is to go hard for the duration of the competition.
    Jonf, you seem to know so much about playing high level competitive and professional sports..........
    I am curious, as likely are others on this Forum that for someone who seems to know so much, could you please tell us the highest level of sports you have played whether it is in University or other Leagues (ie. football, baseball, hockey, basketball, golf.......etc)
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I can sum this all up for you guys in a few paragraph.

For those of you who have played basketball or football you know there is an unwritten rule that you don't run up the score on teams. You pull your starters when you are killing someone or when you are getting killed. Same in basketball, you pull your starters and IF the scrubs continue to kill the team then so be it. I don't have a problem with teams running up the score IF there is no unsaid agreement between coaches not to. If there is, and you do it... then shame on you (kevin lowe). I know you BB is running up the scores. I've seen many ridic. comments about golfers letting up, hockey teams letting up, blah blah blah. These sports don't have such unwritten rules and if they did then they wouldn't do it either. HOckey?? get real. You are going to pull your whole first line and sit them after you are up 6-0 in the first period? You are going to make your other 3 lines work extra hard all game because you want to sit your starters for two periods? that would completely screw up you next game. Anyway, unless you have played one of these sports you won't understand how disrespectful something like running up the score is.

Anyway, please don't compare this to any other sport in which there is no unwritten rule. If you are going to compare this to a sport, please make sure its got some sort of similar agreement between players, gms or coaches

No you're not going to pull off your players in a hockey game if your team is winning by a large margin. But if you're talking unwritten rules, in hockey you're supposed to start dumping in the puck in when you get over the red line in a lopsided game. But like others have said, there's nothing wrong with running up the score. Some games it just goes well, so be it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    No you're not going to pull off your players in a hockey game if your team is winning by a large margin. But if you're talking unwritten rules, in hockey you're supposed to start dumping in the puck in when you get over the red line in a lopsided game. But like others have said, there's nothing wrong with running up the score. Some games it just goes well, so be it.
    Some games it doesn't..........., and you spend the rest of the night with ice on a welt the size of an "apple" courtesy of a 90 mph "little friend"..........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Jonf, you seem to know so much about playing high level competitive and professional sports..........
    I am curious, as likely are others on this Forum that for someone who seems to know so much, could you please tell us the highest level of sports you have played whether it is in University or other Leagues (ie. football, baseball, hockey, basketball, golf.......etc)

What level of sport he played is pretty irrelevant. I'm pretty sure sillywilly is no professional or highly ranked amateur yet he seems to be the authority on unwritten rules. I've played some sports at some pretty high levels, and have been on the giving and receiving ends of blowouts. As long as you don't embarrass a team with silly celebrations, all is usually good.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    What level of sport he played is pretty irrelevant. I'm pretty sure sillywilly is no professional or highly ranked amateur yet he seems to be the authority on unwritten rules. I've played some sports at some pretty high levels, and have been on the giving and receiving ends of blowouts. As long as you don't embarrass a team with silly celebrations, all is usually good.
    No it is not irrelevant......... Do you think I (with my mid-high handicap) and only a few years into the game of golf, would come on this forum and even attempt to tell some of the forum sharks (ie. "Thunder" and company....... on the "unwritten codes" of highly competitive golf. No I would not, because I have "no experience" and would keep my mouth shut............

As mentioned, I did have experience playing baseball with Ex-Pros and future Pros, and learned the unwritten baseball codes from them. It was interesting that the guys who played professionally or in World competitions for Team Canada really stuck by these codes............

When giving opinions nothing can beat experience...............

ontario soccer, ontario volleyball, nation field hockey....

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Here's my take...three weeks ago, the Tennessee Titans were up 32-7 IN THE 4TH QUARTER against the Houston Texans, and the Texans had their backup QB in the game because Schaub had gotten hurt. Houston scored something like 28 or 32 unanswered points to actually take the lead, before Tennessee kicked a FG with no time left to win the game. My question is this...
    You think Jeff Fisher (coach of the Titans) didn't ream his players out in the locker room after the game about letting up and not playing 100%? Do you think he said, "That's fine guys, we were playing by the unwritten rules."
    To those who are defending these rules, you're on crack. As Herman Edwards screamed, "You play to win the game!"

not to mention WR football in highschool... thats about it

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    No it is not irrelevant......... Do you think I (with my mid-high handicap) and only a few years into the game of golf, would come on this forum and even attempt to tell some of the forum sharks (ie. "Thunder" and company....... on the "unwritten codes" of highly competitive golf. No I would not, because I have "no experience" and would keep my mouth shut............

As mentioned, I did have experience playing baseball with Ex-Pros and future Pros, and learned the unwritten baseball codes from them. It was interesting that the guys who played professionally or in World competitions for Team Canada really stuck by these codes............

When giving opinions nothing can beat experience...............

There are no unwritten codes in golf...actually just one. Mark your ball instead of stepping in the "through line"...that's it...no more, no less...

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    There are no unwritten codes in golf...actually just one. Mark your ball instead of stepping in the "through line"...that's it...no more, no less...
    As mentioned I have only played the game of golf a few years, but even I know that when playing match play, you do not make your opponent putt a 8 inch putt........
    There were a couple of guys in our Mens League making you putt out in match play whether the ball was 3 ft or 6 inches........
    Word got around the Club "very fast" about these guys and they were not called very nice names..............Yes this is just Club golf, but watch Profesional match play and they do not make each other putt out 2 or 3 ft. putts.........

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    As mentioned I have only played the game of golf a few years, but even I know that when playing match play, you do not make your opponent putt a 8 inch putt........
    There were a couple of guys in our Mens League making you putt out in match play whether the ball was 3 ft or 6 inches........
    Word got around the Club "very fast" about these guys and they were not called very nice names..............Yes this is just Club golf, but watch Profesional match play and they do not make each other putt out 2 or 3 ft. putts.........
    I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire here but the Pros putt 2-3 foot putts like us mere mortals putt 6 inchers......I can guarantee that if I was playing in a serious match play event that at some point you'd be putting a 3 footer..........probably after I've given you 4 or 5 of them so that you don't build up any confidence in that length of putt. This is a common match play tactic - give em early and make them putt em late

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    This is a common match play tactic - give em early and make them putt em late
    Thanks for the tip Hacker. See I am learning the game. Probably will make a few more enemies next year.................but also make some $$$$$.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I'm likely contradicting myself, but there are tonnes of unwritten rules in golf - at least they may not be in the Official Rules of Golf publication (though maybe they are?). They're called rules of ettiquette, and I think everyone here would agree that these rules are one of the main reasons why we all play the great game.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I'm likely contradicting myself, but there are tonnes of unwritten rules in golf - at least they may not be in the Official Rules of Golf publication (though maybe they are?). They're called rules of ettiquette, and I think everyone here would agree that these rules are one of the main reasons why we all play the great game.
    Does that mean no more "jingling change"..................

Thanks for the tip Hacker. See I am learning the game. Probably will make a few more enemies next year.................but also make some $$$$$.
    I would hope that you would earn a little more respect from your FC's as opposed to making enemies..........I forget who coined the phrase, but Match Play is supposed to be the great equalizer in golf. Sometimes you can be out played but as long as you out think your opponent you can still eek out a win.

I believe that the jingling of change is OK AFTER the match has ended

mpare - do I have this right??

Indeed!

I really don't mind some friendly gamesmanship, but if you're playing with me and you know I am playing well and perhaps on my way to a personal best, I'd assume you'd know not to jiggle the change
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

What do we make of this?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    What do we make of this?

I love the quote about never giving up Thanks for the link

What do we make of this?
    3Jack, this does happen occasionally in baseball. I had been involved in games on both ends where the winning team scored 20 + runs.

Yes, it is acceptable to keep swinging the bats. However, do not even think of trying to steal a base or flip your bat...............

Occasionally you might have a baserunner on first who does not care if they are up by 15 runs, he is still going to steal 2nd to "pad" his basestealing stats. Everyone in the park knows he is going to steal from his lead. The pitcher throws over a few times and he still keeps taking a bigger lead. So one "trick" to stop him is for the pitcher to throw over and when he dives back the first baseman deliberatley lifts his glove and allows the ball to hit the runner in the side of the ribs. I can guarantee he will not be stealing 2nd after that.................

3Jack, this does happen occasionally in baseball. I had been involved in games on both ends where the winning team scored 20 + runs.

Yes, it is acceptable to keep swinging the bats. However, do not even think of trying to steal a base or flip your bat...............

Occasionally you might have a baserunner on first who does not care if they are up by 15 runs, he is still going to steal 2nd to "pad" his basestealing stats. Everyone in the park knows he is going to steal from his lead. The pitcher throws over a few times and he still keeps taking a bigger lead. So one "trick" to stop him is for the pitcher to throw over and when he dives back the first baseman deliberatley lifts his glove and allows the ball to hit the runner in the side of the ribs. I can guarantee he will not be stealing 2nd after that.................
    exactly, swing the bats because you can't just go up there and swing like a retard to get struck out but you don't do anything EXTRA like bunting, stealing bases, popping up to advance the runner....

We can go back and forth about this for hours and not get anywhere. I am of the firm belief that the number one rule in all sports is to go hard from start to finish.

As for my sporting experience, I played competitive soccer at the regional level for a few years. I played soccer, volleyball, rugby, and badminton at school. I played competitive hockey for one year in peewee, but went back to houseleague because the Golden Knights blow. I also played one year of rugby for the Scottish. I still have a master plan to train my kicking for a year, go to grad school and play as a place kicker on the university team, then make the CFL (Uvic doesn't have a football team). My problem was I could never commit to just one sport. Either way, I think it is irrelevant to this discussion, as none of us are professional football players. Sure, I can't comment from experience, but nobody else here can. I can say that I would lose all respect for any player who complained that the other team tried to hard.

exactly, swing the bats because you can't just go up there and swing like a retard to get struck out but you don't do anything EXTRA like bunting, stealing bases, popping up to advance the runner....
    Could I respectfully ask you to stop using the term 'retard'?

Sincerely,

Mike
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Let me tell you something about 8 inch putts (Yes I have played more than a few years, 25 to be exact) I have seen 8 inch putts missed, especially on the greens I play on, which are fast and have unseen breaks in them. You can casually try to tap in a putt inside a foot and miss the hole by 2 inches. I have seen it happen. So if a match was coming down to the last few holes and I was down by 1, you can bet your butt I would be making you putt those putts. Maybe not during the first holes of a match, but late in a match you are putting out I would expect no less from you if you were down by 1. I could care less what "NAMES" are given to me. I want to win the match
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    What do we make of this?

I love this quote from that article! This says it all

"I knew we'd get the bats going, but I never expected anything like this," Washington said. "When the faucet is on, you want it to stay on. You never want to cut it off."
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

haha

why are you still awake?!?!?!?!?!?

I didn't write those rules, I got them off the net

Are you in ottawa next summer or still doing the school thing?
    230 in the morning is prime work time. I'll be finishing up my degree in April, and heading back to Ottawa after convocation in June. Then begins the fun of finding a job. Anyone need a historian?

I'd hire you to find out the history or unwritten rules...

Thread Information