CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Yes, I am saying that.

This isn't kids sports. This is professional. The only people to be angry at if you're getting blown out is yourself. Go hard from the opening whistle until the final whistle. That is the first rule, written or otherwise, of any sport.
    you are wrong, unwritten rules do exist. You don't jack up 3's when you are up 40 points in basketball, you don't steal bases when you are killing the other team in baseball, you don't go crazy when you score an empty net goal.. the list goes on. Google it, the rules exist... its not a myth or urban legend. They are real, all the pros no them. All the coaches know them as well.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    you are wrong, unwritten rules do exist. You don't jack up 3's when you are up 40 points in basketball, you don't steal bases when you are killing the other team in baseball, you don't go crazy when you score an empty net goal.. the list goes on. Google it, the rules exist... its not a myth or urban legend. They are real, all the pros no them. All the coaches know them as well.
    My apologies. I didn't realize that the only standard of proof we have is to say "you're wrong." How can I argue with logic like that?

Going crazy when you score an empty net goal is different. I have never condoned taunting. No celebrating when you're destroying another team is an unwritten rule..i will agree with that. Celebrating a goal when you're already up 5 is the biggest dick move you can make. That is the type of behaviour that will get someone hurt.

I've seen plenty of 3s taken with a big lead. You take an open shot, period. You can't just pass it around and then turn it over when the 24 runs out. You have a shot, you take it. Stealing bases? I already pointed out to PEI that baseball sees some huge single inning comebacks, and that any coach/player would be foolish not to go all out for a full game (which includes stealing bases when the opportunity arises). When a team can score 10 runs in an inning, a game is never out of reach. (I may be wrong, but PEI didn't seem to disagree with my analysis on this matter). If there is a "no stealing" rule, its a damn stupid one given the nature of baseball.

don't pee in the wind... isn't it?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    don't pee in the wind... isn't it?

into the wind?

Dude - That is the chorus from a classic song...........

classic song?? what song? Maybe that is why it sounds so familiar.

5. Don't eat yellow snow

And no, I wouldn't give someone a three foot putt if I thought they might miss it.

And no, I wouldn't give someone a three foot putt if I thought they might miss it.
    Even if you shot an 8 and they are putting for a 6??? Of course you would. Sure he might miss, then miss again... but whatever. If thats the way you play then so be it. I'd be shocked if someone didn't give me a 3 footer in the above scenerio. I'd be a little annoyed if I gave someone a putt and they putt it anyway. I'd be annoyed if someone went to go look for my first ball in the trees without me asking them to if I drove my provisional onto the green... There are just certain things you don't do in sports. You know a lot about hockey, what would happen if chara dropped to gloves with crosby... nothing, it would never happen. The fighters don't go after the skilled players. It happens so rarely because.... unwritten rule

Even if you shot an 8 and they are putting for a 6??? Of course you would. Sure he might miss, then miss again... but whatever. If thats the way you play then so be it. I'd be shocked if someone didn't give me a 3 footer in the above scenerio. I'd be a little annoyed if I gave someone a putt and they putt it anyway. I'd be annoyed if someone went to go look for my first ball in the trees without me asking them to if I drove my provisional onto the green... There are just certain things you don't do in sports. You know a lot about hockey, what would happen if chara dropped to gloves with crosby... nothing, it would never happen. The fighters don't go after the skilled players. It happens so rarely because.... unwritten rule
    You're putting words in my mouth. That's not the scenario I was given, was it? I was simply asked if I would give someone a 3 footer. Well, I'm not going to unconditionally give someone a three footer. If they have two putts to win the hole from 3 feet, of course I'll give them the putt. I'm an asshole, but not that much of an asshole. I won't, however, give them a 3 footer to halve or win the hole. Not on your life. Putt for dough. You gotta earn the win. If that pisses someone off, or throws them off their game, that isn't my fault. Earn the victory.

And I'm not saying there are no unwritten rules. I haven't said that anywhere. I have just said that there is no unwritten rule about embarrassing the other team. I have said it a number of times. If you're a professional, and you get blown out, it's your own fault. You're embarrassing yourself. The number one rule in any sport is to go hard for the duration of the competition.

And I'm not saying there are no unwritten rules. I haven't said that anywhere.

Does anyone disagree with me that there is an unwritten rule in football that you don't run up the score? Regardless of if you think its fair, not fair, is there anyone here who is actually saying this unwritten rule doesn't exist??
    Yes, I am saying that.

so what you are saying is, even though people who actually played football are telling you there is this unwritten rule, you maintain that it does not exist. Show me it doesn't exist. You are saying unwritten rules exist but not about stealing bases in blow outs and leaving your starters in and going for big plays in football games. The rules exist, its fact... so yes, you are wrong. 100% wrong

so what you are saying is, even though people who actually played football are telling you there is this unwritten rule, you maintain that it does not exist. Show me it doesn't exist. You are saying unwritten rules exist but not about stealing bases in blow outs and leaving your starters in and going for big plays in football games. The rules exist, its fact... so yes, you are wrong. 100% wrong
    Elementary logic, my friend. Not proving something doesn't exist doesn't mean that it does in fact exist. I would much prefer you show me that it does exist. Show me a bunch of NFL players who say they are outraged that the Pats are so much better than them. If there is this unwritten rule, then every player in the league should be *ing and moaning about the Pats. Show me some evidence this unwritten rule exists. Or, even better, give me some good reasons why it's mean for a team to score to many points. I haven't heard a logical explanation for this yet. I have heard some good explanations for why it may be a good idea to pull one or two starters to avoid injury, but nothing to show me that scoring too much is unacceptable.

No self respecting athlete wants the other team to let up, no matter how badly they're being beaten. There's my unwritten rule.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I'm an asshole, but not that much of an asshole. I won't, however, give them a 3 footer to halve or win the hole. Not on your life. Putt for dough. You gotta earn the win. If that pisses someone off, or throws them off their game, that isn't my fault. Earn the victory.

And I'm not saying there are no unwritten rules. I haven't said that anywhere. I have just said that there is no unwritten rule about embarrassing the other team. I have said it a number of times. If you're a professional, and you get blown out, it's your own fault. You're embarrassing yourself. The number one rule in any sport is to go hard for the duration of the competition.
    Jonf, you seem to know so much about playing high level competitive and professional sports..........
    I am curious, as likely are others on this Forum that for someone who seems to know so much, could you please tell us the highest level of sports you have played whether it is in University or other Leagues (ie. football, baseball, hockey, basketball, golf.......etc)
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Jonf, you seem to know so much about playing high level competitive and professional sports..........
    I am curious, as likely are others on this Forum that for someone who seems to know so much, could you please tell us the highest level of sports you have played whether it is in University or other Leagues (ie. football, baseball, hockey, basketball, golf.......etc)

What level of sport he played is pretty irrelevant. I'm pretty sure sillywilly is no professional or highly ranked amateur yet he seems to be the authority on unwritten rules. I've played some sports at some pretty high levels, and have been on the giving and receiving ends of blowouts. As long as you don't embarrass a team with silly celebrations, all is usually good.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Also...aren't those no longer unwritten rules

Also...aren't those no longer unwritten rules
    haha

why are you still awake?!?!?!?!?!?

I didn't write those rules, I got them off the net

Are you in ottawa next summer or still doing the school thing?

haha

why are you still awake?!?!?!?!?!?

I didn't write those rules, I got them off the net

Are you in ottawa next summer or still doing the school thing?
    230 in the morning is prime work time. I'll be finishing up my degree in April, and heading back to Ottawa after convocation in June. Then begins the fun of finding a job. Anyone need a historian?

ontario soccer, ontario volleyball, nation field hockey....

not to mention WR football in highschool... thats about it

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I'm likely contradicting myself, but there are tonnes of unwritten rules in golf - at least they may not be in the Official Rules of Golf publication (though maybe they are?). They're called rules of ettiquette, and I think everyone here would agree that these rules are one of the main reasons why we all play the great game.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I'm likely contradicting myself, but there are tonnes of unwritten rules in golf - at least they may not be in the Official Rules of Golf publication (though maybe they are?). They're called rules of ettiquette, and I think everyone here would agree that these rules are one of the main reasons why we all play the great game.
    Does that mean no more "jingling change"..................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

I believe that the jingling of change is OK AFTER the match has ended

mpare - do I have this right??

Indeed!

I really don't mind some friendly gamesmanship, but if you're playing with me and you know I am playing well and perhaps on my way to a personal best, I'd assume you'd know not to jiggle the change
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

What do we make of this?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    What do we make of this?

I love the quote about never giving up Thanks for the link

What do we make of this?
    3Jack, this does happen occasionally in baseball. I had been involved in games on both ends where the winning team scored 20 + runs.

Yes, it is acceptable to keep swinging the bats. However, do not even think of trying to steal a base or flip your bat...............

Occasionally you might have a baserunner on first who does not care if they are up by 15 runs, he is still going to steal 2nd to "pad" his basestealing stats. Everyone in the park knows he is going to steal from his lead. The pitcher throws over a few times and he still keeps taking a bigger lead. So one "trick" to stop him is for the pitcher to throw over and when he dives back the first baseman deliberatley lifts his glove and allows the ball to hit the runner in the side of the ribs. I can guarantee he will not be stealing 2nd after that.................

3Jack, this does happen occasionally in baseball. I had been involved in games on both ends where the winning team scored 20 + runs.

Yes, it is acceptable to keep swinging the bats. However, do not even think of trying to steal a base or flip your bat...............

Occasionally you might have a baserunner on first who does not care if they are up by 15 runs, he is still going to steal 2nd to "pad" his basestealing stats. Everyone in the park knows he is going to steal from his lead. The pitcher throws over a few times and he still keeps taking a bigger lead. So one "trick" to stop him is for the pitcher to throw over and when he dives back the first baseman deliberatley lifts his glove and allows the ball to hit the runner in the side of the ribs. I can guarantee he will not be stealing 2nd after that.................
    exactly, swing the bats because you can't just go up there and swing like a retard to get struck out but you don't do anything EXTRA like bunting, stealing bases, popping up to advance the runner....

We can go back and forth about this for hours and not get anywhere. I am of the firm belief that the number one rule in all sports is to go hard from start to finish.

As for my sporting experience, I played competitive soccer at the regional level for a few years. I played soccer, volleyball, rugby, and badminton at school. I played competitive hockey for one year in peewee, but went back to houseleague because the Golden Knights blow. I also played one year of rugby for the Scottish. I still have a master plan to train my kicking for a year, go to grad school and play as a place kicker on the university team, then make the CFL (Uvic doesn't have a football team). My problem was I could never commit to just one sport. Either way, I think it is irrelevant to this discussion, as none of us are professional football players. Sure, I can't comment from experience, but nobody else here can. I can say that I would lose all respect for any player who complained that the other team tried to hard.

exactly, swing the bats because you can't just go up there and swing like a retard to get struck out but you don't do anything EXTRA like bunting, stealing bases, popping up to advance the runner....
    Could I respectfully ask you to stop using the term 'retard'?

Sincerely,

Mike
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information