100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I haven't given you any emotion. I've just given you the unwritten rules of sports. If they said to hell with all this unwritten rules then I would have no problem with someone running up the score. My only problem with it is that all have agreed to follow these rules even though they aren't offical rules. I see nothing wrong with running up the score, they do it in the NCAA all the time. The NCAA coaches tell their players to score as many points as you can and prevent the other team from scoring... right upto the final whistle.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I haven't given you any emotion. I've just given you the unwritten rules of sports. If they said to hell with all this unwritten rules then I would have no problem with someone running up the score. My only problem with it is that all have agreed to follow these rules even though they aren't offical rules. I see nothing wrong with running up the score, they do it in the NCAA all the time. The NCAA coaches tell their players to score as many points as you can and prevent the other team from scoring... right upto the final whistle.
    So ok, you are saying it is because of the unwritten rule that you feel it is wrong? That makes no sense to me SillyWilly..... none at all. But I am obviously not going to get a response from anyone on why it is BAD to run up a score. I just can't think of any so I will leave it at that and believe as I do that it just depends on who is running up the score and who it is against that makes one take sides on whether it is bad or not

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    So ok, you are saying it is because of the unwritten rule that you feel it is wrong? That makes no sense to me SillyWilly..... none at all. But I am obviously not going to get a response from anyone on why it is BAD to run up a score. I just can't think of any so I will leave it at that and believe as I do that it just depends on who is running up the score and who it is against that makes one take sides on whether it is bad or not
    the ONLY reason its bad to run up the score is because its goes agains the unwritten rule in those sports. I can't think of another reason why it would be bad. I love college football, I love seeing 70-3 games. When I started golfing I didn't think there was anything wrong with me walking on someones line cause as you know, I don't wear golf shoes with spikes. I didn't see the problem with making a little noise or moving when someone was putting or hitting because atheletes play in stadiums with 20,000 fans and no one tells them to be quiet. Putting even after the putt has been given to you ect. I do realize that because it is the accepted norm I also follow it but I would be more than happy to ingnore all of the above if it was OK to do so, but its not so I follow along like the good little follower that I am

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Fine, fine. If they are not unwritten, they are implied .

Why wouldn't you run up the score? Well, if you have for example, Tom Brady QBing and you're up by 20 points with 10 mins left in the game, why not pull him to keep him protected by benching him?

I'd rather protect my assets than look like a chump when Brady gets hurt. And you know what, it's bound to happen. Not everyone would be thrilled to play against the Pats and have them bury them by 25-30 points. Someone would take offense to it, and regardless of "against the rules", it will happen.

The opposite mindset is "why would you send your thug out with your team down 3 goals in the third period"? Generally, your thug is the least talented person on the team (see Wade Belak, Brian McGrattan) and is supposed to inspire your team by performing counter intuitive acts. If you're down 3 goals, don't you want your snipers out there more?

As a previous poster mentioned, if they can still end up scoring some with the 2nd stringers, so be it. You just look like a donkey when you do it. I'm indifferent to the Pats running up the score, but the question was asked why you shouldn't do it.

I'm a Chiefs fan, so don't think I'm trying to blow smoke up anyone's backside! lol. I have nothing to be proud of with them!

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    Fine, fine. If they are not unwritten, they are implied .

Why wouldn't you run up the score? Well, if you have for example, Tom Brady QBing and you're up by 20 points with 10 mins left in the game, why not pull him to keep him protected by benching him?

I'd rather protect my assets than look like a chump when Brady gets hurt. And you know what, it's bound to happen. Not everyone would be thrilled to play against the Pats and have them bury them by 25-30 points. Someone would take offense to it, and regardless of "against the rules", it will happen.

The opposite mindset is "why would you send your thug out with your team down 3 goals in the third period"? Generally, your thug is the least talented person on the team (see Wade Belak, Brian McGrattan) and is supposed to inspire your team by performing counter intuitive acts. If you're down 3 goals, don't you want your snipers out there more?

As a previous poster mentioned, if they can still end up scoring some with the 2nd stringers, so be it. You just look like a donkey when you do it. I'm indifferent to the Pats running up the score, but the question was asked why you shouldn't do it.

I'm a Chiefs fan, so don't think I'm trying to blow smoke up anyone's backside! lol. I have nothing to be proud of with them!

Fally
    aka Scott
    I hear what you are saying Scott but hey, I am a fan who has paid good money to watch the best play..... I get pissed when i see grat players benched because they have performed their 'job' too well... so gee, lets punish the fans and make him sit the rest of the game out..... I don't like it.

I'd have a tendency to agree with you Bob, if I knew what the actual emotion was of the fans that are going to these games. How many of these fans are sticking it out the full time when NE is up by 30, how many want to beat traffic?

There are a lot of issues at play here than just someone paying their good money. A fan wants to ultimately entertained. Seeing Brady make the team go up by 37 rather than 30 is probably not going to be more entertaining, other than seeing your team score a touchdown. There was a much better value associated with the ticket watching yesterday's game because it was close and exciting and entertaining.

What happens with the money if you allow Brady to throw a few more balls risking injury? Honestly, probably nothing. A football fan is going to go to the game whether Brady's throwing or not. Would you give up your tickets, honestly?

Fally

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    I'd have a tendency to agree with you Bob, if I knew what the actual emotion was of the fans that are going to these games. How many of these fans are sticking it out the full time when NE is up by 30, how many want to beat traffic?

There are a lot of issues at play here than just someone paying their good money. A fan wants to ultimately entertained. Seeing Brady make the team go up by 37 rather than 30 is probably not going to be more entertaining, other than seeing your team score a touchdown. There was a much better value associated with the ticket watching yesterday's game because it was close and exciting and entertaining.

What happens with the money if you allow Brady to throw a few more balls risking injury? Honestly, probably nothing. A football fan is going to go to the game whether Brady's throwing or not. Would you give up your tickets, honestly?

Fally
    Actually, I think there is no wrong or right answer to this one. It is how you as a fan feel about your team and how the fan of the other team that is gettin their butts kick feels.

I really just wanted to hear why it was a bad thing for players to go all out and score as many as they can.... as a coach or owner, I might feel differently but as a fan, I want to see the best lineup possible at all times. The only exception would be in a sport whrer the tema hs played a lot of games in succession and certain players need some rest....now that would make sense to me as a reason....

Actually, I think there is no wrong or right answer to this one.
    The only thing we can agree on is that you owe me a beer!

The only thing we can agree on is that you owe me a beer!
    We can't even agree on that, with my loss, you now only owe me one beer instead of two

My bad, maybe jarred is right... maybe I am 'legally retarded"

My bad, maybe jarred is right... maybe I am 'legally retarded"
    Maybe?????

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    But I am obviously not going to get a response from anyone on why it is BAD to run up a score.
    If you take away the injury risk component, here's the reason behind the 'unwritten rule'.

The theory is that the NFL is a brotherhood, both players and coaches. If a team is struggling, you're going to have a lot people with jobs on the line. Say the Pats go into Miami or St Louis and hang up 70 on one of those teams in their home stadium. People will be calling for blood, and the coaches and players who were on the hot seat job-wise, are now in the fire. You don't want to cost your brothers their jobs if you can avoid it. That's the main reason.

The other reason, which is sort of related, is that you just don't embarrass another team because sometime, somewhere you might find yourself on the other side. A "do unto others as you wish others would do unto to" type creed.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    If you take away the injury risk component, here's the reason behind the 'unwritten rule'.

The theory is that the NFL is a brotherhood, both players and coaches. If a team is struggling, you're going to have a lot people with jobs on the line. Say the Pats go into Miami or St Louis and hang up 70 on one of those teams in their home stadium. People will be calling for blood, and the coaches and players who were on the hot seat job-wise, are now in the fire. You don't want to cost your brothers their jobs if you can avoid it. That's the main reason.

The other reason, which is sort of related, is that you just don't embarrass another team because sometime, somewhere you might find yourself on the other side. A "do unto others as you wish others would do unto to" type creed.
    But if a team is struggling, shouldn't jobs be on the line? These guys are making millions to perform. Don't get me wrong, I don,t know jack about NFL football. I just found it real surprising the level of passion people were displaying in talking about the unwritten rule.

Not sure I like the 'brootherhood' comment.... but at least someone has given me an explanation

Thanks!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

But if a team is struggling, shouldn't jobs be on the line? These guys are making millions to perform. Don't get me wrong, I don,t know jack about NFL football. I just found it real surprising the level of passion people were displaying in talking about the unwritten rule.

Not sure I like the 'brootherhood' comment.... but at least someone has given me an explanation

Thanks!
    I meant brotherhood in the union sense. And yes, jobs are on the line anyway, but a real beating kind of focuses the attention on them. I'm not saying I agree, I'm just explaining why it is an issue.

alright girls, PIT jas 5tds in the first half... they are up 28 points. I'm guessing they will pull their QB in the 4th Q and give some of the key guys some rest and they will run the ball for the rest of the game (not try to run up the score). Lets see what a classy team does... a team that isn't run by someone trying to prove he doesn't need to cheat If the game remains a blow out I'm sure you will see this. If not, I will buy hacker 2 beers next time I see him

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    alright girls, PIT jas 5tds in the first half... they are up 28 points. I'm guessing they will pull their QB in the 4th Q and give some of the key guys some rest and they will run the ball for the rest of the game (not try to run up the score). Lets see what a classy team does... a team that isn't run by someone trying to prove he doesn't need to cheat If the game remains a blow out I'm sure you will see this. If not, I will buy hacker 2 beers next time I see him
    No need to. Their quarter back might hurt himself in a motorcycle accident
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I disagree completely with number 1.0. It's not possible to embarass another team. They can only embarass themselves. Personally, the worst thing for me when I am losing badly is for a team to let off the gas and take 'pity'. As a goalie, I'd rather let in 15 breakaway goals than have the team start dumping and chasing. I want them to compete to the end, just like I will. The other night I was playing a soccer game. We were short a couple of men, and outmatched in skill. With the score about 7-0 in the second half, the other team basically started playing keep away with the ball at the back. Being down 2 players, its tough to do anything about it. I know they were trying to be 'nice' and not run the score up, but I couldn't have been more pissed off. Play all out until the end of the game, or don't play at all.

They probably will pull their starters if the game keeps going the way it is, but it has nothing to do with class. It has to do with the fact that Baltimore is already getting really chippy. You'd be stupid to leave your starters in against a team that is so visibly upset already.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I disagree completely with number 1.0. It's not possible to embarass another team. They can only embarass themselves. Personally, the worst thing for me when I am losing badly is for a team to let off the gas and take 'pity'. As a goalie, I'd rather let in 15 breakaway goals than have the team start dumping and chasing. I want them to compete to the end, just like I will. The other night I was playing a soccer game. We were short a couple of men, and outmatched in skill. With the score about 7-0 in the second half, the other team basically started playing keep away with the ball at the back. Being down 2 players, its tough to do anything about it. I know they were trying to be 'nice' and not run the score up, but I couldn't have been more pissed off. Play all out until the end of the game, or don't play at all.
    I have to make a small edit to my initial statement: the only way to embarass a team is to let up.

I play slo-pitch in the summer and it's essentially a beer league.

That being said, I do get heated when garbage calls are being made behind the plate. The umps in our league take advantage of the fact that 90-95% of us don't truly know the rulebook inside and out, and will call pure poop.

Now, when you get a combination of that, plus the odd run up game where the other team stretches singles into doubles (if we play at Laroche park, there are no fences and it's insanely easy to do), it really pisses people off.

There is no unwritten rule about showing up the umpy on balls and strikes, the pitcher is always right!

Fally

wow.. steelers score 3 points in the second 1/2.... point made???? I believe so

wow.. steelers score 3 points in the second 1/2.... point made???? I believe so
    Who's point was made? Roethlesberger got injured in the third, and was put back in the game in the fourth, despite the huge lead. Their coach didn't hold back. He put his starting QB in the game, in the fourth quarter, even after he wend down with an injury. They didn't let up at all. Baltimore just improved.

i guess you didn't watch the game... they stopped going for the big plays.... 35 points... 3 points...

i guess you didn't watch the game... they stopped going for the big plays.... 35 points... 3 points...
    For the most part their plays in the first half weren't big plays. They just happened to get the ball on the 35 yard line a few times. Their "big plays" were mostly broken plays rather than well planned strikes downfield.

Roethlisberger - 15 pass attemps in the 1st half
    Roethlisberger and batch = 6 pass attemps in the second half...

Doesn't look like PIT BAL got better, just PIT stopped going for the kill, they didn't try to run up the score. Their entire game plan changed after the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Whos point did I prove? mine...

PS they didn't send him back in because he wasn't hurt. They planned to play him until the end of the 3rd and they did. He threw one pass in the 4th and i believe it was all batch after that.

PIT could have KILLED BAL today, but they didn't.

Roethlisberger - 15 pass attemps in the 1st half
    Roethlisberger and batch = 6 pass attemps in the second half...

Doesn't look like PIT BAL got better, just PIT stopped going for the kill, they didn't try to run up the score. Their entire game plan changed after the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Whos point did I prove? mine...

PS they didn't send him back in because he wasn't hurt. They planned to play him until the end of the 3rd and they did. He threw one pass in the 4th and i believe it was all batch after that.

PIT could have KILLED BAL today, but they didn't.
    I disagree. Pittsburgh's offence looked artificially good in the first half because of their stellar field position. They had chances to go for the throat. Their gameplan changed, not because they were being merciful, but because they were in a different game in the second half.

And again, which specific points have been proven?

the only point I have been trying to make... teams don't run up the score on other teams LOL

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Silly Willy, these so-called unwritten rules don't help me understand when one is supposed to let off the gas after having established a commanding lead. I was always taught that you tried hard on each and every play. In fact, that's how I always played baseball, basketball, golf, rugby, water polo, and football. It never occurred to me that one would do anything other than that. I would have thought that self-respect for your teammates, your opponents, and yourself would have dictated just such an approach. Note that I have not endorsed thrash talking or anything else of the kind - just hard nosed, full-out competition.

Perhaps a few examples will allow you to make this clearer for me. In the following examples, would these unwritten rules mandate slowing down the offence? Here you go: 35-3 at halftime; 35-7 at halftime; 28-3 at the end of the third quarter.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I don't want to trap you (well, actually, I was tempted to do so) so you should know that in the examples I gave you, each of the teams that had been leading lost! The Oilers watched their 35 – 3 lead over Buffalo disappear. They eventually lost in overtime, 41 – 38. Similarly, the Saints’ 35 – 7 halftime lead over the Niners evaporated. They lost 38 – 35. Tampa Bay suffered a similar fate when they saw their 28 – 3 third quarter lead become a painful memory as they lost 31 – 28 to St. Louis.

My point is simply this: play fair; play with class (that does not mean not doing your best at all time when you have a big lead); and play as hard and as well as you can on each and every play. Once you compromise on any of these “unwritten rules”, you chance losing, but even worse, you lose your self-respect.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Silly Willy, these so-called unwritten rules don't help me understand when one is supposed to let off the gas after having established a commanding lead. I was always taught that you tried hard on each and every play. In fact, that's how I always played baseball, basketball, golf, rugby, water polo, and football. It never occurred to me that one would do anything other than that. I would have thought that self-respect for your teammates, your opponents, and yourself would have dictated just such an approach. Note that I have not endorsed thrash talking or anything else of the kind - just hard nosed, full-out competition.

Perhaps a few examples will allow you to make this clearer for me. In the following examples, would these unwritten rules mandate slowing down the offence? Here you go: 35-3 at halftime; 35-7 at halftime; 28-3 at the end of the third quarter.

I doubt there is any good examples of when to take your foot off the gas. Other than when you see those red flashing lights behind you

Hey Sillywilly, did the University of Ottawa take their foot off the gas in the second half last Saturday? If so they paid for it by losing a spot in the Yates Cup Final! To a team that started the season 0-4 no less!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information