100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I love this quote from that article! This says it all

"I knew we'd get the bats going, but I never expected anything like this," Washington said. "When the faucet is on, you want it to stay on. You never want to cut it off."
    this really doesn't say anything at all. Every better it still going to try to hit and get on base. There is nothing wrong with that. But you never had anyone try to steal a single base.... I can garantee you that

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I'd hire you to find out the history of unwritten rules...
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Here is a good example of one of those "unwritten" codes that ARod apparently broke back in the summer. Watch the video. Very "grey" area, but was not taken well, and we all know what happened to Arod his first at bat the next game with the jays...........
    http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=tor

"The incident took place with two outs in the final inning, when the Jays were behind, 7-5. Yankees catcher Jorge Posada stepped in to face Jays rookie right-hander Brian Wolfe with Rodriguez on first base and Hideki Matsui on second. With the count at 3-2, the runners were in motion when Posada lifted a pitch from the reliever high in the air toward third base.
    Clark, who was called up from Triple-A Syracuse on Wednesday, camped under the ball, preparing to end the threat. As Rodriguez ran behind Clark on his way to third, he yelled out and the third baseman immediately pulled up, thinking Toronto shortstop John McDonald was calling for the ball. The baseball dropped to the turf, allowing Matsui to score. "I was under the fly ball and I thought I was called off," said the 33-year-old Clark. "It wasn't Johnny Mac. I let it drop. I was under it and I heard a 'Mine' call, so I let it go. "..................

Gibbons wasn't sure what the basis of his argument was when he headed onto the field, except to say that he didn't think it was right to do what Rodriguez had done. The baseball rulebook has plenty of guidelines for interference calls, but it doesn't specifically cover any of the verbal variety.
    "Maybe I'm naive, but I haven't seen that before," Gibbons said. "I don't even know if there's anything you can do -- maybe some kind of interference kind of thing. I don't know what the rulebook says. I've never seen that happen. "The Yankees have always done things right, so that surprised me."
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Could I respectfully ask you to stop using the term 'retard'?

Sincerely,

Mike
    Of course, I am sorry.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    And what does A-Rod being a jerk have to do with running up the score?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Here is a good example of one of those "unwritten" codes that ARod apparently broke back in the summer. Watch the video. Very "grey" area, but was not taken well, and we all know what happened to Arod his first at bat the next game with the jays...........
    http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=tor
    This happens all the time, faking a guy out. The kid made a rookie mistake and he was embaressed. How many times do you see that happen in hockey.... all the time the opposition is calling for the other temas player to make a drop pass making believe its his own team mate....

I think this entire discussion has gone from silly to idiotic

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    And what does A-Rod being a jerk have to do with running up the score?
    Hmmm...........someone (??) made this comment earlier.................
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showpost...1&postcount=77

"This isn't kids sports. This is professional. The only people to be angry at if you're getting blown out is yourself. Go hard from the opening whistle until the final whistle. That is the first rule, written or otherwise, of any sport."

Guess A-Rod thought it was ok and part of "going hard" to win.............

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    This happens all the time, faking a guy out. The kid made a rookie mistake and he was embaressed. How many times do you see that happen in hockey.... all the time the opposition is calling for the other temas player to make a drop pass making believe its his own team mate....

I think this entire discussion has gone from silly to idiotic
    We are talking about a baseball incident not hockey. Please explain baseball to me Mr. Indio.............

It does not happen all the time re: following quotes.

You'd have to," said Glaus, who added that he had never seen a similar incident in his 10 big-league seasons. "You'd have to discuss and talk to him why that's not a good thing -- why that's not appropriate.
    "Not since I think 'Major League 2,' the movie [have I seen something like that]," he added with a laugh. "I've never heard of someone doing it and I've never seen anybody do it. I've never had it happen to me. It's disappointing. That's not proper."

"Maybe I'm naive, but I haven't seen that before," Gibbons said. "I don't even know if there's anything you can do -- maybe some kind of interference kind of thing. I don't know what the rulebook says. I've never seen that happen.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I have been trying to look at this subject objectively, and am still having problems with it. Few, if any, on this site appear to agree with me that it is not the number of times you score that hurts, but the attitude with which it is done. Nor do many of you seem prepared to accept the proposition that teams would be even more irritated by the other team taking pity on them. With this in mind, I keep looking for the objective indicators of what constitutes a breach of the so-called unwritten rule that you ought not score too often in a winning cause.

Did this winning NFL team run up the scores, and breach this rule?

Nov. 14 Houston - W (49-14)
    Nov. 21 at Chicago - W (41-10)
    Nov. 25 at Detroit - W (41-9)
    Dec. 5 Tennessee - W (51-24)

Does it make a difference that the winning team was the Colts in their 2004 season?

And lest anyone ask, I have played golf in many NB and NS provincial amateurs and one Canadian Amateur; played running back and corner back for St. Thomas University; played basketball for St. Thomas University; played fastball for Sackville, NB; played centre field for the Augusta, Maine American Legion team that was scheduled to play Bangor in the state finals before we were DQ'd for having one guy 2 days over the age limit (that one hurt), and was asked to play on NB's Winter Games waterpolo team, which I never got to play because I broke my ankle playing, of all things, football. All of which is to say, I should have some idea of what sportsmanship is about. Oh, and if it makes any difference, I have never been accused of being unsportsmanlike.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Hmmm...........someone (??) made this comment earlier.................
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showpost...1&postcount=77

"This isn't kids sports. This is professional. The only people to be angry at if you're getting blown out is yourself. Go hard from the opening whistle until the final whistle. That is the first rule, written or otherwise, of any sport."

Guess A-Rod thought it was ok and part of "going hard" to win.............
    You are confusing two completely different issues here. A-Rod's actions had nothing to do with embarasssing the other team. They had to do with him trying to gain an 'unfair' advantage.

The quote of mine that you have used has nothing to do with A-Rod. Where in my quote does it say that it is okay to try to confuse the other team? Where does it say that there are no codes of conduct? The quote you have taken refers specifically to the issue of playing until the final whistle, and whether or not players should let up with a big lead.

I have not questioned that there are unspoken codes of conduct in sport. In baseball, it seems that yelling to confuse an opponent is one of those. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is ok to continue playing all-out with a big lead.

Nobody as of yet has given any evidence that this type of thinking predominates within any sports leagues. Nobody has given any reasoning as to why it might be inappropriate to 'embarrass' a team that is playing like . The fact that there are other codes of conduct does not mean that this one also exists. As I've said before. These guys are pros. If they can't man up and play the game, there are plenty of folks who will gladly take their place.

We are talking about a baseball incident not hockey. Please explain baseball to me Mr. Indio.............
    Given that you can change the sport from football (original post) to baseball, what is wrong with someone else bringing up Hockey?

I will leave the explaining to the baseball experts such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I have been trying to look at this subject objectively, and am still having problems with it. Few, if any, on this site appear to agree with me that it is not the number of times you score that hurts, but the attitude with which it is done. Nor do many of you seem prepared to accept the proposition that teams would be even more irritated by the other team taking pity on them. With this in mind, I keep looking for the objective indicators of what constitutes a breach of the so-called unwritten rule that you ought not score too often in a winning cause.
    Just in case it hasn,t been clear Michael, I agree 100% with you which is why I asked for someone to explain... unfortunately it wasn,t as eloquently done as you

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post

Did this winning NFL team run up the scores, and breach this rule?

Nov. 14 Houston - W (49-14)
    Nov. 21 at Chicago - W (41-10)
    Nov. 25 at Detroit - W (41-9)
    Dec. 5 Tennessee - W (51-24)

Does it make a difference that the winning team was the Colts in their 2004 season?

And lest anyone ask, I have played golf in many NB and NS provincial amateurs and one Canadian Amateur; played running back and corner back for St. Thomas University; played basketball for St. Thomas University; played fastball for Sackville, NB; played centre field for the Augusta, Maine American Legion team that was scheduled to play Bangor in the state finals before we were DQ'd for having one guy 2 days over the age limit (that one hurt), and was asked to play on NB's Winter Games waterpolo team, which I never got to play because I broke my ankle playing, of all things, football. All of which is to say, I should have some idea of what sportsmanship is about. Oh, and if it makes any difference, I have never been accused of being unsportsmanlike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Just in case it hasn,t been clear Michael, I agree 100% with you which is why I asked for someone to explain... unfortunately it wasn,t as eloquently done as you

I agree with you guys. My only comment was, don't embarrass the other team. If you're up big and you score again, give your teammates a low key high five or whatever. No need for a big ridiculous end zone dance or the like.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Of course, I am sorry.
    Many thanks.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information