100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

I can't believe..........

.........that the colts didn't pull all of their starters once they had DOUBLED the pats score with less than 9 minutes left in the game

At least the Pats did the "proper" thing and took 3 knees rather than running the score up as they've been accused of over the last few weeks..........

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    .........that the colts didn't pull all of their starters once they had DOUBLED the pats score with less than 9 minutes left in the game

At least the Pats did the "proper" thing and took 3 knees rather than running the score up as they've been accused of over the last few weeks..........
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    That was just a retarded statement. The points made thus far about the Pats have been justified and realistic, this was just not funny or realistic.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    That was just a retarded statement. The points made thus far about the Pats have been justified and realistic, this was just not funny or realistic.
    Those statements were no more or no less retarded than any of the points made to date on this topic.........give no quarter expect no quarter

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Given the fervour of the statements made during the last week or so, I thought it was quite funny.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Given the fervour of the statements made during the last week or so, I thought it was quite funny.
    LOL I agree Mike.... no worse than some of the stuff that has been said in some previous posts.

A true football fan or even sports fan knows you do not show up an opponent. Oh well.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Those statements were no more or no less retarded than any of my posts made to date
    I agree 100%

you must love the pats!

A true football fan or even sports fan knows you do not show up an opponent. Oh well.
    Weazl - you're already on record as being a Coach B hater - why not just leave it at that?

Every true fan has seen countless interviews on TV over the past 2-3 weeks where player after player and coach after coach has said that they have no problem with Coach B on the Pats.

Are you going to say that you Niners weren't running the score up on opponents back in the 90's when they were elite???

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    And an athlete knows you NEVER let up.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

PATS 9-0 for the season

SF 2-6 for the season

Does this fat have some influence on your hatred for Coach B and the Pats and the fact they are a scoring machine?
    I wonder if it does.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

No, we're rebuilding ( again!!!!)

I just don't like how he goes about his business or how he handles the media. Oh well, props to them and their 9-0 start but I think a healthy Colts team, with Marvin harrison would of won that game can't wait til they meet in the playoffs.

I just don't like how he goes about his business or how he handles the media. .... I think a healthy Colts team, with Marvin harrison would of won that game can't wait til they meet in the playoffs.
    I personally don't care how a coach or an athlete for that matter interacts with the media. In my mind they get paid to win games - Period.

But I can see why some folks have issues with a Bill Belichick or a Barry Bonds......

The play-off game will be interesting to be sure, let's see how comfortable Payton is playing outside in the snow and cold

I can't let you off though with the if Harrison had been healthy arguement.....IF the Pats would have executed all game the way that they did in the final 9 minutes it would have been a much more lop-sided win. All of the post game analysis talked about how the Pats played probably their poorest game of the season and it was still enough to beat the Colts.

If's are nothing more than excuses and we both know that excuses are for............

Both teams will have an opportunity to put their best foot forward again come the play-offs and we'll see then which team wants it more.

I think the weather in NE will be the determining factor. Nice weather will make for a great game, poor weather and I think Indy is sunk being a dome team.

On that note, and nto to thread jack, why is it that soem teams get domes and others don't? Like baseball, why do some teams have centre field at 413 ft. and others 403ft.? Should all things not be equal, Ie dome or not? Anyways, I digress.

I think the weather in NE will be the determining factor. Nice weather will make for a great game, poor weather and I think Indy is sunk being a dome team.

On that note, and nto to thread jack, why is it that soem teams get domes and others don't? Like baseball, why do some teams have centre field at 413 ft. and others 403ft.? Should all things not be equal, Ie dome or not? Anyways, I digress.
    I agree 100% re the weather comment!!

I've often wondered about the dimensions of a baseball park being so varied

At least all football fields are the same length and width. I think that grass vs turf and dome vs no dome comes down to location and how much the owner/city is willing to invest in infrastructure.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Weazl - you're already on record as being a Coach B hater - why not just leave it at that?

Every true fan has seen countless interviews on TV over the past 2-3 weeks where player after player and coach after coach has said that they have no problem with Coach B on the Pats.

Are you going to say that you Niners weren't running the score up on opponents back in the 90's when they were elite???
    If you would have seen Dennis Green's up front on OTR, you will see what people in the business, who are removed from a specific team really think. I am sure you can watch it on tsn.ca.

Its running up the score by a coach that even Bellichick lovers can agree that he feels he is above the league. I am a fan of Brady and most of the team, but Bellichick makes it impossible to be a fan of the Pats for me.

Can I get an AMEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    Its running up the score by a coach that even Bellichick lovers can agree that he feels he is above the league.
    As I've already stated, IMO Bellichick is just making sure that everyone realizes that the "Spygate" affair in no way, shape or form had any effect on the outcome of previous Pats games.

If NFL team officials don't like it then STOP THEM!! Pretty simple.

For those who say that the best way to stop the scores being run up is to throw a chop block or intentionally sweep Brady's leg I'd remind you that those things are all against the rules of the game.........blowing your opponents out is NOT.

I do find it amusing how everyone seems to hate the dominate team when it isn't their team

Not being a football fan, I am going to ask what looks to me will be consider a stupid question but you are all used to that from Indio.

Why should a team not pile up the points in any game even when it is lopsided?

Are you not cheating the fans that paid good money to see the game? Are you not making some records that have been established meaningless? Are you not rubbing the other temas noses in it even more by putting your backup players in?

its against the rules.. not against the law I'll take out the QB if it meant a 15 yard penality and may a small fine. Don't run up the score on teams to prove that when you were cheating it didn't impact the games... if it didn't impact the games then why did you do it??

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    These aren't eight year olds we're talking about here though... these are professional players. Well paid at that. If they don't like having the score run up, then they should play better.

Personally, I love seeing the juggernauts dominate a league. I miss the days of the dynasty in sport, the team people loved to hate. Salary caps have all but destroyed that factor in professional sport, save for MLB (yankees, red sox), who flout the 'caps' and happily pay the luxury taxes.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I can sum this all up for you guys in a few paragraph.

For those of you who have played basketball or football you know there is an unwritten rule that you don't run up the score on teams. You pull your starters when you are killing someone or when you are getting killed. Same in basketball, you pull your starters and IF the scrubs continue to kill the team then so be it. I don't have a problem with teams running up the score IF there is no unsaid agreement between coaches not to. If there is, and you do it... then shame on you (kevin lowe). I know you BB is running up the scores. I've seen many ridic. comments about golfers letting up, hockey teams letting up, blah blah blah. These sports don't have such unwritten rules and if they did then they wouldn't do it either. HOckey?? get real. You are going to pull your whole first line and sit them after you are up 6-0 in the first period? You are going to make your other 3 lines work extra hard all game because you want to sit your starters for two periods? that would completely screw up you next game. Anyway, unless you have played one of these sports you won't understand how disrespectful something like running up the score is.

Anyway, please don't compare this to any other sport in which there is no unwritten rule. If you are going to compare this to a sport, please make sure its got some sort of similar agreement between players, gms or coaches

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

For those of you who have played basketball or football you know there is an unwritten rule that you don't run up the score on teams. You pull your starters when you are killing someone or when you are getting killed. Same in basketball, you pull your starters and IF the scrubs continue to kill the team then so be it. I don't have a problem with teams running up the score IF there is no unsaid agreement between coaches not to. If there is, and you do it... then shame on you (kevin lowe). I know you BB is running up the scores. I've seen many ridic. comments about golfers letting up, hockey teams letting up, blah blah blah. These sports don't have such unwritten rules and if they did then they wouldn't do it either. HOckey?? get real. You are going to pull your whole first line and sit them after you are up 6-0 in the first period? You are going to make your other 3 lines work extra hard all game because you want to sit your starters for two periods? that would completely screw up you next game. Anyway, unless you have played one of these sports you won't understand how disrespectful something like running up the score is.

Anyway, please don't compare this to any other sport in which there is no unwritten rule. If you are going to compare this to a sport, please make sure its got some sort of similar agreement between players, gms or coaches
    Please return The Book of Unwritten Rules to the library so the rest of us can read it, and understand said rules.

I'll save you the trip....

he unwritten rules of sports --

Sports, like life, has rules of etiquette that are largely unwritten -- until now.

Baseball

1.0. Don't embarrass yourself, your teammates or your opponent.
    1.1. Never show up an umpire on balls and strikes.
    1.2. Never steal a base when leading by a bunch of runs. Rickey Henderson was the all-time offender, once taking second base with the Brewers' defense playing back and his team leading 12-5 in the seventh inning. "There are certain things you don't do," Milwaukee manager Davey Lopes said. "You don't stop competing; what you stop doing is manufacturing runs." 1.3. Never show up an opposing pitcher after hitting a home run off him. This is includes such no-nos as Ruben Sierra's funky-chicken dance step and Jeffrey Leonard's one flap down. Taking a long time to get around the bases is considered taboo. Scott Rolen of the Cardinals is one who does it the right way -- drop the bat and run around the bases.
    1.4. Always run onto the field in support of your teammates or players after a fight breaks out. Indians manager Charlie Manuel once was suspended for two games for running onto the field from the clubhouse.Manuel had been ejected from the game but said he could not in good conscience stay in the clubhouse while his players were throwing haymakers.
    1.45. Don't fraternize with opposing players.
    1.45. (a) Players who don't run onto the field in support, or who fraternize with opposing players, shall be fined by a kangaroo court.
    1.45. (b) Kangaroo courts shall exist in every major league clubhouse and operate by their own set of unwritten rules. See Jay Buhner, Mariners, 1988-2001.
    2.0. Play the game the right way.
    2.1. Never lay down a bunt to break up a no-hitter. Ben Davis, then with the Padres, did this against Curt Schilling, then with the Diamondbacks, in the eighth inning of a 2001 game. The single brought the tying run to the plate, but Davis was heavily criticized -- even his manhood was called into question. "Ben Davis is young and has a lot to learn," Arizona manager Bob Brenly said. "That was just uncalled for."
    2.2. When breaking up a double play, always go in with a clean slide. Rangers catcher Pudge Rodriguez went out of his way to take out Cleveland shortstop Omar Vizquel in 1994; Vizquel suffered torn knee ligaments, spent seven weeks on the DL, and the Indians were fighting mad.
    2.3. Always throw a fastball on a 3-0 count.
    2.35. Never swing at a 3-0 pitch when your team has a comfortable lead.Vladimir Guerrero swung at a 3-0 offering in a 2001 game against the Mets with his team leading 10-0, and pitcher Turk Wendell promptly drilled him.
    2.4. Never put the tying or go-ahead run on first base.
    2.45. Unless you are playing the Giants and Barry Bonds represents the tying or go-ahead run.
    2.5. Never make the first or third out of an inning at third base.
    2.6 Always run out ground balls, even routine ones. Hustle in, hustle out. This rule does not apply to all; Ken Griffey Jr., for example, never read the unwritten rules during his stay with the Mariners.
    2.7. Never interrupt a pitcher's focus by talking to him before a start.
    2.75. Applicable to broadcasters and players alike, never mention "no-hitter" when a pitcher has one working.
    2.8. Never steal another team's signs -- or at least never get caught doing so. It is particularly taboo for the batter to peek at the catcher's signs from the batter's box. Stealing signs from second base is considered gamesmanship but still requires retribution.
    2.9. Pitchers must work inside to keep opposing batters honest but must never throw at a batter's head.
    2.95. Pitchers must retaliate for egregious acts committed by opposing pitchers.

Basketball

1.1. Don't make a display out of padding your stats. In 2003, the Cavaliers' Ricky Davis shot at his own basket in the final seconds of a blowout victory over Utah so he could get his 10th rebound to complete a triple-double. DeShawn Stevenson of the Jazz hammered Davis with a cross block. "DeShawn fouled him, and I would have fouled him, too," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "I would have knocked him on his ass." Said Cavs coach Keith Smart: "He has to live with what he did. Wherever he goes, people will remember it."
    1.15. Don't make a career out of padding your stats. A veteran NBA scout swears Moses Malone missed hundreds, possibly thousands, of shots on purpose so he could get his own rebound and put the ball back in, thus getting points and rebounds on the same possession.
    1.2. Don't dunk -- or attempt any shot -- in the final seconds when the opposing team has conceded defeat, nor hoist a 3-pointer with a 20-point lead in the final minute. Last season in Houston, the Sonics' Richie Frahm drove for a layup after the Rockets had conceded defeat. A Houston player fouled him, and Steve Francis and Mark Jackson screamed at Frahm as he was shooting free throws. Ray Allen met Frahm at the free-throw line and said, "Don't do that. Don't ever do that."
    1.3. Don't use a full-court press when your lead is ridiculously large.
    2.1. Hit the open man, move the ball, fill the lanes, hustle back on defense, take a charge.

Football

1.1. Never call for an onside kick when leading by a lot of points. Rick Neuheisel, then a first-year coach at Colorado, did this against Oregon in the 1996 Cotton Bowl, starting a smoldering feud with Ducks coach Mike Bellotti. Leading 32-6 late in the game, the Buffs completed a long pass out of punt formation and went on to score a touchdown. "Those things tend to come around on you," Bellotti said.
    1.15. Never call for a fake punt.
    1.2. Always take a knee in the final moments when the game has been decided. This has as much to do with strategy as sportsmanship, thanksto a 1978 game known as the "Miracle of the Meadowlands." The Giants led the Eagles and were running out the clock when quarterback Joe Pisarcik opted to hand off rather than take a knee. He botched the exchange, the ball bounced to the turf, and cornerback Herman Edwards picked it up and went 26 yards for the winning touchdown.
    1.3. Always remove your starters when you have a big lead in the fourth quarter. Particularly applicable in high school games, or when Georgia Tech plays Cumberland.
    1.4. When you reach the end zone, pretend like you've been there before.
    2.1. Always establish the run.
    2.2. Defense wins football games.
    2.25. Football players make football plays. Not really a rule, but a timeworn Chuck Knox cliche.
    2.3. Never take points off the scoreboard. Archaic. In a game at Indianapolis earlier this season, Ravens kicker Matt Stover made a 36-yard field goal, but Baltimore ended up accepting a defensive offside penalty and opted to go for it on 4th-and-4. Kyle Boller found Todd Heap in the end zone on the next play, and the Ravens were within 20-10 with 12:50 remaining. "On the road there are things you do that you wouldn't do at home," Ravens coach Brian Billick said of taking points off the board.

Golf

1.0. Don't do anything to embarrass yourself or your opponent.
    1.1. Don't make yourself an easy target for the gallery. During the 2002 U.S. Open at Bethpage, Sergio Garcia gave a one-fingered salute to obnoxious fans counting his waggles at the 16th hole. The gallery was even more unruly after that. "Hey, Sergio, give me the finger," pleaded one fan at the first tee the day after the incident. Sourpuss Colin Montgomerie has been a favorite target of U.S. galleries as well.
    2.1. Never walk across a player's putting line. Teenager Michelle Wie repeatedly walked in Danielle Ammaccapanne line at the 2003 U.S. Open at Pumpkin Ridge, inciting a sharp rebuke from Ammaccapanne. "It was a good learning experience, I guess," Wie said. "Now I won't do that anymore."
    2.2. Never putt the ball when your opponent has conceded the putt.
    2.25. Don't make your opponent attempt a putt that you would want conceded.
    2.3. Don't distract your opponent, at least not overtly. Seve Ballesteros of Spain was the all-time instigator, especially in Ryder Cup matches against the U.S. He had a habit of jingling change in his pocket when his opponent was making a shot, and moving at the point of his opponent's downswing. He was accused of coughing when his opponent was about to strike the ball. Said Tiger Woods of Seve's gamesmanship: "Guys will pull some things. Either you can't hear it or you don't see it, but guys are definitely doing it."
    2.4. Always repair ball marks on the green, even if they were not made by your ball.

I just saved you a library fine

its against the rules.. not against the law I'll take out the QB if it meant a 15 yard penality and may a small fine. Don't run up the score on teams to prove that when you were cheating it didn't impact the games... if it didn't impact the games then why did you do it??
    Hold on here silly.... everyone is saying it is an unwritten rule...... do not tie this directly to the supposed cheating that they did.... thats not a valid reason in my very humble and simple mind..... I want to know what is wrong with running up scores not why the pats shouldn't run up scores ....

again UNWRITTEN rules and from what I hear you saying, it is almost tatamount to colusion on the outcome of a game and I bet you the odss makers in Vegas for one, wouldn't appreciate this agreement between players or coaches!

If I was a paying fan, I would be pissed if I saw the coach pull the good players because they were playing too well!!!. Its a competition for god sakes. A competition to see who plays the best on any given day.... if the team that is getting their butts kisck can't take it and want the other team to ease up on the pedal, then I say find another vocation cause your not made to play sports where anything can happen on any given day.

I'll save you the trip....

he unwritten rules of sports --

Sports, like life, has rules of etiquette that are largely unwritten -- until now.

I just saved you a library fine
    Thats all a bunch of hogwash except for the one or two that I believe are written rules!

again, I only have a problem with it because its something you aren't supposed to do. Indio I'm sure you would hate to play with someone who did a few of the following...

1.1. Don't make yourself an easy target for the gallery. During the 2002 U.S. Open at Bethpage, Sergio Garcia gave a one-fingered salute to obnoxious fans counting his waggles at the 16th hole. The gallery was even more unruly after that. "Hey, Sergio, give me the finger," pleaded one fan at the first tee the day after the incident. Sourpuss Colin Montgomerie has been a favorite target of U.S. galleries as well.
    2.1. Never walk across a player's putting line. Teenager Michelle Wie repeatedly walked in Danielle Ammaccapanne line at the 2003 U.S. Open at Pumpkin Ridge, inciting a sharp rebuke from Ammaccapanne. "It was a good learning experience, I guess," Wie said. "Now I won't do that anymore."
    2.3. Don't distract your opponent, at least not overtly. Seve Ballesteros of Spain was the all-time instigator, especially in Ryder Cup matches against the U.S. He had a habit of jingling change in his pocket when his opponent was making a shot, and moving at the point of his opponent's downswing. He was accused of coughing when his opponent was about to strike the ball. Said Tiger Woods of Seve's gamesmanship: "Guys will pull some things. Either you can't hear it or you don't see it, but guys are definitely doing it."
    2.4. Always repair ball marks on the green, even if they were not made by your ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Thats all a bunch of hogwash except for the one or two that I believe are written rules!
    Yeah I saw a few of them and was pretty sure they were rules! haha

again, I only have a problem with it because its something you aren't supposed to do. Indio I'm sure you would hate to play with someone who did a few of the following...

The only one that would bother me to any extent is 2.4..... but were getting off tipic here, I have asked why and all I get back is it is an unwritten rule.... thats not an answer I can get my mind around.... why is it so bad to run up a score against an opponent?

If it is that bad, then why hasn't it been made an agreed to written rule..... like amateur softball they have the 'mercy rule' have a mercy rule in the NFL or NBA if teams can stand being thumpped.... but don't give mt its just not gentleman like or fair..... give me facts, not emotions Silly.

Thread Information