CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    ... if Mikey or Ames aren't representing Canada, I will cheer for my favorite players (who just happen to be American). Mikey and Ames are not my top 2 favorite players on tour.
    Same here, but I cheer for Mikey because he's Canadian and he seems like a good guy.
    I don't ever cheer for Ames solely due to his personality, and his proclivity to run-off at the mouth. I don't care for players who bad-mouth their FC's and the tracks they are playing on, regardless of nationality.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Dude, you posted it here, not her. Why not take a little "responsibility" for what you "post" and quit "hiding" behind "quotation marks" and "links"?
    Hey Sparkler........., yes I posted the story, just as our Head Greenskeeper Dan and others posts stories everyday from the media. I post stories and links that I both agree and disagree with. Some may agree with the stories while others do not............If you have an issue with the story, sure make your feelings known, thats what this forum is for. If it really bothers you, then make your feelings known to the "original author"................

Have a nice day
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Same here, but I cheer for Mikey because he's Canadian and he seems like a good guy.
    I don't ever cheer for Ames solely due to his personality, and his proclivity to run-off at the mouth. I don't care for players who bad-mouth their FC's and the tracks they are playing on, regardless of nationality.
    I do know a guy who has played on various tours and has played with Stephen. He says Stephen is a great guy if you know him.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Hey Sparkler........., yes I posted the story, just as our Head Greenskeeper Dan and others posts stories everyday from the media. I post stories and links that I both agree and disagree with. Some may agree with the stories while others do not............If you have an issue with the story, sure make your feelings known, thats what this forum is for. If it really bothers you, then make your feelings known to the "original author"................

Have a nice day
    The difference between Dan posting articles for information and discussion via an RSS feed, and you posting selected quotes from articles in the middle of threads to make your point, is large. People will respect opinions on this board even if they disagree with them. However, if you consistently take strident positions and then try to pass them off as solely those of the people you quote....well, then you're just annoying.

The difference between Dan posting articles for information and discussion via an RSS feed, and you posting selected quotes from articles in the middle of threads to make your point, is large. People will respect opinions on this board even if they disagree with them. However, if you consistently take strident positions and then try to pass them off as solely those of the people you quote....well, then you're just annoying.
    Hey Sparkler......I guess waving the Canadian Flag and agreeing that Mike Weir is a National Golf Hero for Canada is a "strident position"..............
    If you are accusing me of that then yes I admit, I am guilty........

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Hey Sparkler......I guess waving the Canadian Flag and agreeing that Mike Weir is a National Golf Hero for Canada is a "strident position"..............
    If you are accusing me of that then yes I admit, I am guilty........
    The strident position (in this thread, there are many others as you know) is the one denigrating Stephen Ames' place in the national esteem by virtue of his place of birth and station in life. The hockey stick in Canada vs the gated community in T&T.

What's up with the name calling?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Can we call you 'sparkey' now?

The strident position (in this thread, there are many others as you know) is the one denigrating Stephen Ames' place in the national esteem by virtue of his place of birth and station in life. The hockey stick in Canada vs the gated community in T&T.

Re: name calling..........I would never call your opinions or position on a topic "annoying"..............

"Denigrating" is also a very strong word. I was merely pointing out that Canadian golf fans might be able to relate more with Mike's hockey background in Sarnia vs Stephen who did have the previledge of growing up in a gated community with its own 9 hole golf course as a youngster.

As for Stephen as a person. I have mentioned that I know a fellow "very well" who has played golf with Stephen before and says he is a "great guy". I respect this fellow's opinion..........

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I was not originally sure if I was going to get involved in this conversation. But since my comment seemed to spark some back and forth bantering, I feel like I should give my 2 cents.

With all due respect to PEI Golfing, this is the exact post you posted. And unless specified otherwise ( which you are doing ); the post standing on its own would suggest that you agree with the quoted material. A quote which you have used to support your point of view. And whether I agree ith you or not, I respect your opinion.

That aside, here is my humble opinion on the subject. I immigrated to Canada 24 years ago and have lived here ever since, with the exceptioon of almost two years when I was in California (Solely due to the fact that what I do is highly specialized and there were no positions for me here). I have been a citizen of Canada since 1988.

I love this country and sincerely believe it is the best place on earth to live. I feel proud to call myself a Canadian. Having said that, I still love my birthplace. It is where I was born and spent the first 15 years of my life. It is also part of my heritage, as is the Canadian part of my life.

Back, when I was young, I was a kick ass football ( soccer ) player and was asked to try out for one of the premiere league's junior team in Iran. Had I followed that path and been successful in becoming a pro before moving to Canada, I would not have blinked at a chance to represent Canada at international competition. Having said that, had the Canadian team been stocked with excellent players, I would not have thought twice about playing for my home country either. This would not make me any less Canadian in my mind.

Most of the people expressing opinions with respect to Ames representing T&T at some competitions have been Canadians by birth and may not fully understand this fact. Only because they have not been in the same situation as I have.

When I read that "Ames subbed Canada by choosing to represent T&T", I have to wonder. Did Ames say screw Canada, I love T&T and am going to represent them?It is possible to love both places and represent one or the other without the other party feeling "snubbed".

As already mentioned, Ames did route his donation to Calgary. If he "snubbed" Canada, why did he not route the money to T&T?

If I recall correctly, he wanted badly to represent Canada at the President's cup in favour of a "native son".

And the whole point about Ames living in a gated community and being born to a privilaged family does nothing but show the jealousy of the person who thinks this is relevant to how "Canadian" he is.

Personally I love both Weir and Ames and feel proud when either, or both, have success on the tour.

Having said all of this, Go Vijay .
    Yes I do !!!

I was shocked as well.
    Heck........Gary Player has more Canadian Pride for Mike than many Canadian respondents on this forum.
    http://www.pgatour.com/2007/tourname...sun/index.html

Maybe the reason so many feel strongly about Mike as Canada's golf hero can be summed up in this sentence:
    "Weir has always been a national passion. He's Wayne Gretzky with a golf club. And, yes, he grew up playing hockey. And now, he's a national hero."

On the other hand Ames grew up in the enclosed gated community in Trinidad & Tobago...................

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I immigrated to Canada 24 years ago and have lived here ever since, with the exceptioon of almost two years when I was in California (Solely due to the fact that what I do is highly specialized and there were no positions for me here). I have been a citizen of Canada since 1988.

I love this country and sincerely believe it is the best place on earth to live. I feel proud to call myself a Canadian. Having said that, I still love my birthplace. It is where I was born and spent the first 15 years of my life. It is also part of my heritage, as is the Canadian part of my life.
    You are a Kisk Ass Canuck now buddy But you should have stuck with the soccer instead of taking up golf

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    You must have seen my swing or talked to Dave or Geoff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    You are a Kisk Ass Canuck now buddy But you should have stuck with the soccer instead of taking up golf

You must have seen my swing or talked to Dave or Geoff...
    Fun day..... Eagle Creek Stories........

I
    With all due respect to PEI Golfing, this is the exact post you posted. And unless specified otherwise ( which you are doing ); the post standing on its own would suggest that you agree with the quoted material. A quote which you have used to support your point of view. And whether I agree ith you or not, I respect your opinion.

When I read that "Ames subbed Canada by choosing to represent T&T", I have to wonder. Did Ames say screw Canada, I love T&T and am going to represent them?It is possible to love both places and represent one or the other without the other party feeling "snubbed".

As already mentioned, Ames did route his donation to Calgary. If he "snubbed" Canada, why did he not route the money to T&T?

If I recall correctly, he wanted badly to represent Canada at the President's cup in favour of a "native son".

And the whole point about Ames living in a gated community and being born to a privilaged family does nothing but show the jealousy of the person who thinks this is relevant to how "Canadian" he is.

Personally I love both Weir and Ames and feel proud when either, or both, have success on the tour.

Thanks for your post.

However, if you would have also included my other post, from the "Ames and Verplank....."thread, you would have seen that I admitted that there is the strong possibility that I was wrong about Ames being allowed under the rules to represent Canada in the World Cup.
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showpost...3&postcount=16

"The top 18 available players who are native-born citizens of different countries from the Official World Golf Ranking released on Monday, September 11, 2006. These 18 players will select a player of their choosing from the same country, provided such player is ranked among the top 100 on the Official World Golf Ranking as of September 11, 2006. If there is no other player from that country ranked within the top 100 on the World Ranking, the exempt player’s partner shall be the next highest ranked available player from the same country."

As mentioned, I have a "very reliable" source who is checking further into this.

Regarding the hockey vs gated community golf comment. The hockey comment is a "direct" quote from the PGAtour.com article and yes I made mention that Stephen grew up in a gated community (with golf course) in T & T. Not intended to be any sort of knock against Stephen who ONCE AGAIN WILL STATE is a "great guy" according to a fellow I know very well......

Hope this clears everything up.

My late father was not born in Canada and he became a Canadian Citizen, served Canada in WWII, and became a very respected and succesful man.
    So PLEASE DO NOT TWIST my comments !!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I was not originally sure if I was going to get involved in this conversation. But since my comment seemed to spark some back and forth bantering, I feel like I should give my 2 cents.

That aside, here is my humble opinion on the subject. I immigrated to Canada 24 years ago and have lived here ever since, with the exceptioon of almost two years when I was in California (Solely due to the fact that what I do is highly specialized and there were no positions for me here). I have been a citizen of Canada since 1988.

Back, when I was young, I was a kick ass football ( soccer ) player and was asked to try out for one of the premiere league's junior team in Iran. Had I followed that path and been successful in becoming a pro before moving to Canada, I would not have blinked at a chance to represent Canada at international competition. Having said that, had the Canadian team been stocked with excellent players, I would not have thought twice about playing for my home country either. This would not make me any less Canadian in my mind.

Most of the people expressing opinions with respect to Ames representing T&T at some competitions have been Canadians by birth and may not fully understand this fact. Only because they have not been in the same situation as I have.

Excellent post Rez. And to clarify my stand on things, from what I understood a few years back (or whenever it was), Ames was asked to play with Weir in the World Cup and he said no, he'd playing for T&T.

Now where I respect your stand is that you said you "would" represent Canada if you could. But if you tried to make the team or it was already "set" you would then try to represent your birth country.

To me, the fact that you call yourself canadian and would make Canada your first choice, if called upon to represent, is a big thumbs up in my books. This is where my feelings of national pride fall off with Ames. This is just my opinion, but it is how I feel on this subject.

And let's not forget what was originally asked....it's a question about national pride, not whether or not you like Ames or think he is a good or bad guy. Seems like some people's remarks are based more on that, rather than do you feel proud to be a canadian when either Ames or Weir do well.

I'll check into the facts regarding the World Cup, but I do believe that is how it went down.

And from what I recall Rez, I have never spoken to Bob about your golf game.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Excellent post Rez. And to clarify my stand on things, from what I understood a few years back (or whenever it was), Ames was asked to play with Weir in the World Cup and he said no, he'd playing for T&T.

Geoff, thats what I had heard and read as well. However, it quite possible we could be wrong as per my previous post.

Ames may not have been elegible to play for Canada.

"The top 18 available players who are native-born citizens of different countries from the Official World Golf Ranking released on Monday, September 11, 2006......."
    http://www.worldgolfchampionships.co.../r169/9789935/

As mentioned previously. A good source in the golf media is supposed to check this fact out.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I do know a guy who has played on various tours and has played with Stephen. He says Stephen is a great guy if you know him.
    Well there you go. I don't know him, and I can't stand him. On the other hand , Tiger knows him...
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Thread Information