100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Do you feel national pride when it comes to Mike Weir?

A natural follow up to the last question. I was actually shocked to see how some people think of Mike.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Yes I Do.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Yes I do !!!

I was shocked as well.
    Heck........Gary Player has more Canadian Pride for Mike than many Canadian respondents on this forum.
    http://www.pgatour.com/2007/tourname...sun/index.html

Maybe the reason so many feel strongly about Mike as Canada's golf hero can be summed up in this sentence:
    "Weir has always been a national passion. He's Wayne Gretzky with a golf club. And, yes, he grew up playing hockey. And now, he's a national hero."

On the other hand Ames grew up in the enclosed gated community in Trinidad & Tobago...................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    yes I do

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    yes i do, absolutely
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Not going to be popular but ........ although I root for Mikey to do well in tournaments, no it has nothing to do with 'national pride'.

I reserve my patriotism and national pride for our amateurs who aren' t making the millions participating in international events and our armed forces doing good around the world.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    This will be even less popular but in my eyes he isn't a hero and he isn't even the best Canadian male golfer ever..........that is reserved for the great Moe Norman.

My national pride and patriotism seems to apply to team events as opposed to individual sports.

As for heroes I save that tag for people who risk their lives of their own free will to help save the lives of others or to make the world a safer and better place to live.

My heroes are fires fighters, police men and women and our armed forces.

Now if you wanted to refer to Mike or any other elite athlete like Tiger or #99 a role model I could entertain that discussion............but I can't support throwing the hero tag at a pro athlete

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    This will be even less popular but in my eyes he isn't a hero and he isn't even the best Canadian male golfer ever..........that is reserved for the great Moe Norman.

My national pride and patriotism seems to apply to team events as opposed to individual sports.

As for heroes I save that tag for people who risk their lives of their own free will to help save the lives of others or to make the world a safer and better place to live.

Now if you wanted to refer to Mike or any other elite athlete like Tiger or #99 a role model I could entertain that discussion............but I can't support throwing the hero tag at a pro athlete
    Well said Hacker

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    IMHO "real heroes" save lives while risking their own.

"Sports heroes" inspire others to strive for greatness.

To me Mike is a Canadian sports hero. The cheers at the President's Cup would leave no doubt in the minds of those who attended that Captain Player made the right choice. I do consider Mr. Ames to be a Canadian, but let's face it, he is less inspiring than Mike is now with his Masters win and match play triumph on Canadian soil one on one over Tiger.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    When Mike wins he makes sure Canada is always mentioned---I remember that because it is odd every time he says it--no one else does.

I don't know where "hero" came from but like Scott the heros in my mind are our kids in Afganastan--our cops, firefighters etc. I guess it's not till you reach my age that you realize just what we have in this country.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Without question Moe Norman was the best "ball striker" Canada ever produced.
    Golf is measured by success in winning tournaments and Majors and unfortunately Moe's "well documented" handicap prevented him from achieving success in the structured world of Pro golf tournaments.
    I believe it was Tiger Woods who once said (correct me if I am wrong) that there were only two players who have ever "owned" their swings. One was Ben Hogan and the other Moe Norman. Tiger says he hopes to one day reach the level of joining them..........

Regarding the "hero" tag........I believe the PGA tour.com article used the words "Golf hero"........Yes some agree that the word "hero" should never be used for sports participates, but if I had a $$dollar for everytime it is used by the media........well I would have a few bucks$$$..............

Everyone mentions Cops, firefighters, military............but never forget some of the biggest heroes..... the DOCTORS !!!! Those guys at the Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa Hospital, CHEO, family doctors etc..............are the real heroes!!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post

Everyone mentions Cops, firefighters, military............but never forget some of the biggest heroes..... the DOCTORS !!!! Those guys at the Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa Hospital, CHEO, family doctors etc..............are the real heroes!!!
    Don't get me wrong, our Doctors provide a critical service to society, but they are NOT putting their lives on the line to save other's lives (at least not during peaceful times).

My father was a volunteer fireman for 25 years and he ran into a house, to save an 11 year old girl and her twin brother......he sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns over his entire lower body but he saved the lives of those 2 kids - That my friend is the stuff that Heroes are made of

Don't get me wrong, our Doctors provide a critical service to society, but they are NOT putting their lives on the line to save other's lives (at least not during peaceful times).

My father was a volunteer fireman for 25 years and he ran into a house, to save an 11 year old girl and her twin brother......he sustained 2nd and 3rd degree burns over his entire lower body but he saved the lives of those 2 kids - That my friend is the stuff that Heroes are made of
    Yes your Father was certainly a hero. I also put heart surgeons as heroes when they extend the life of a loved one another 10 years.............

Yes your Father was certainly a hero. I also put heart surgeons as heroes when they extend the life of a loved one another 10 years.............
    and that's great (as are the Doctors who have the skills to do so) we just have different standards that we hold our heroes to......now, care to join me in a rousing rendition of "Did you ever know that you're my Hero"?

and that's great (as are the Doctors who have the skills to do so) we just have different standards that we hold our heroes to......now, care to join me in a rousing rendition of "Did you ever know that you're my Hero"?

Only if Indio joins us, and you promise not to stare into Indio's eyes during the final verse.............

Only if Indio joins us, and you promise not to stare into Indio's eyes during the final verse.............
    I would join my buddy in a heart beat, he can't play match play worth a but he is my hero for trying

Who the heck said hero in the first place? But since you did, if a star athlete can inspire a sick child to fight harder so he can be just like his 'hero', then that's a hero.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Who the heck said hero in the first place?
    PEI did in post #3
    so many feel strongly about Mike as Canada's golf hero
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    PEI did in post #3
    To set the record straight, I was used the word "hero" from the article written by Melanie Hauser(PGATOUR.com Correspondent) which I had linked and thought everyone was perfectly clear where it came from. Unfortunately I guess a few were not..................
    Here it is again to avoid confusion......
    http://www.pgatour.com/2007/tourname...sun/index.html
    "Weir has always been a national passion. He's Wayne Gretzky with a golf club. And, yes, he grew up playing hockey. And now, he's a national hero."

I suggest if some of you feel so strongly about the use of the word hero, then perhaps you should not respond to me ........, but send Melanie Hauser a note saying that you are from Canada and are very displeased with her use of the word "hero" when describing Mike Weir's accomplishments in the 2007 Presidents Cup..........

I have no problem with it, just seemed to spawn a whole different topic. Like I said, I consider some athletes heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I have no problem with it, just seemed to spawn a whole different topic. Like I said, I consider some athletes heroes.
    Good to hear..............some others on this forum had a real issue with the word..........

Baxter
    Nope

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Good for him but.... pride... not really.

Good to hear..............some others on this forum had a real issue with the word..........
    It's time to move on PEI.....

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    So if you are not born in Canada and don't play hockey, you are ineligible to be a Canadian golf hero?

Maybe the reason so many feel strongly about Mike as Canada's golf hero can be summed up in this sentence:

On the other hand Ames grew up in the enclosed gated community in Trinidad & Tobago...................

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    So if you are not born in Canada and don't play hockey, you are ineligible to be a Canadian golf hero?
    I don't think anyone is saying that... I think some of us, myself included, root for Stephen Ames, but, because he has represented Trinadad and Tobago on the international golfing stage at World Cup events in the past, we have a harder time seeing him as a Canadian golf hero.

Despite the fact that he makes his home in Calgary and is married to a Canadian woman, Ames hasn't exactly helped his cause in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the story goes that Ames got himself into a great deal of difficulty with US Immigration system a few years back, due to mis-representation of his permanent residence.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I think you are mixing threads up rezadew.............This is about feeling National Pride re: Mike Weir. If you have any issue with the "Quote" and article, why don't you send Melanie Hauser (PGAtour.com) an nice "little" (no pun intended re: avatar) note..........Tell her as a Canadian you are "upset"........

Rez, I think it is what I said that may have been taken out of context. Someone asked who would you cheer for, Weir on the Canadian team or Ames on the T&T team, I said no contest, the native son (or something like that) it was not intended as a slight to Ames but more of a I would cheer for Canada not Trinidad & Tobago.

I would cheer for Canada no matter who was representing us. However as I also said somewhere else (which ruffled a few feathers ), if Mikey or Ames aren't representing Canada, I will cheer for my favorite players (who just happen to be American). Mikey and Ames are not my top 2 favorite players on tour.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I think you are mixing threads up rezadew.............This is about feeling National Pride re: Mike Weir. If you have any issue with the "Quote" and article, why don't you send Melanie Hauser (PGAtour.com) an nice "little" (no pun intended re: avatar) note..........Tell her as a Canadian you are "upset"........
    Dude, you posted it here, not her. Why not take a little "responsibility" for what you "post" and quit "hiding" behind "quotation marks" and "links"?

Thread Information