100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Do you feel national pride when it comes to Stephen Ames?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 35.71%
  • No

36 64.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    come on now.....
    Put up a pic of yours and let,s see what we can come up with.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Intermission.
    Watching on ESPN I suppose.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Watching on ESPN I suppose.

Nope, CBC. All canadian, all the time.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Nope, CBC. All canadian, all the time.
    See. Canadian taxpayers.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Put up a pic of yours and let,s see what we can come up with.

I've met and have played golf with Andy, and I can confidentally say he does not look like any farm animal. So can we please drop this? Thanks.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

See. Canadian taxpayers.
    Tongue in cheek humour my friend.

Did i say that? Very childish imo. Back to 1st grade.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Did i say that? Very childish imo. Back to 1st grade.

Perhaps, but let's leave it be. It's not going to accomplish anything bickering about it.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Very interesting comments here I can't help but wonder if some of the responses against Stephen Ames are more related to responders not liking him as a person.........let me ask a related question. When Ben Johnson won his Gold medal in the Olympics did you feel a sense of national pride?

I hope that you didn't because Ben is the same as Stephen Ames in terms of being born outside of Canada but later adopting Canada as their home country and becoming a citizen.

Don't forget about Daniel Igali, Donovan Bailey, Alex Baumann, and Lennox Lewis.........all Canadian Athletes that immigrated to Canada and have won for us....

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Very interesting comments here I can't help but wonder if some of the responses against Stephen Ames are more related to responders not liking him as a person.........let me ask a related question. When Ben Johnson won his Gold medal in the Olympics did you feel a sense of national pride?

I hope that you didn't because Ben is the same as Stephen Ames in terms of being born outside of Canada but later adopting Canada as their home country and becoming a citizen.

Don't forget about Daniel Igali, Donovan Bailey, Alex Baumann, and Lennox Lewis.........all Canadian Athletes that immigrated to Canada and have won for us....

My comments have nothing to do with liking/disliking Ames as a person. I don't know him personally, so I have no reason to like/dislike him in that way. Granted he wants to call our country home, but don't go to a world event and represent another country. That I do have a problem with. Even those those others immigrated here, at least they still represented Canada and not another country.

I feel good for the person, but I don't feel that sense of national pride. There were people going crazy with Bailey won Olympic gold. Sure I was happy, but I wasn't "patriotic" happy, if that makes sense.

But don't group Lewis with those. Once he became pro and won world titles he clearly stated he was british.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    simple answer... NO

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    "
    Did I feel National Embaressment.......NOPE...........as I do NOT feel National Pride when he does well !!!!
    So when Tiger beat the crap out of Wier on a few Sunday's were you Embaressed??? are you still? or has the win at the PC taken that away?
    I guess with this much pride for a Canadian, when he loses,you can't come out of the house for months. Must have been a tough couple of years!!!

The only National Pride for me ----Team Canada Hockey-MENS------The rest just does not matter. It's nice if other Team Canada's or Canadian player do well.

Perhaps liking a person or Team by results or just your favorite, should be more important than liking a person because he is born in your Country..
    I like Ames and don't care where he is from. He speaks his mind, plays good golf and is fun to watch...Other guys might be better or worse and boring..But I would rather watch Ames than Wier. I don't like the way Mike plays, I also don't like Sergio not because he is from Spain(or where ever) I just don't like watching him.
    Using the I like this person or Team because they are Canadian means there should be no Yankee or Redsox Fans in Canada if we have National Pride. If we have the pride we must cheer for the Blue Jays or do we need to pick the Team with the Most Canadians to have National Pride? I guess the NFL is out of the question unless there is a Canadian on the Team.

Gretzky's kids have both USA and Canadian.

"WOW" Geoff that is one heck of a statment if I understand it correctly - You have no pride for any Canadian unless he or she was born in Canada - Regardless if they do well or not?? that just does not seem right, to me. Maybe I'm not following your statments?..Sorry if it's me....

I think you may be a little wrong on Lewis - iIf I remember it right it was about funding and Canada would not give what was needed and the UK would - MONEY was the reason, not UK over Canada

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Unfortunately, canadian universities do no offer scholarships, so Mike had to go to the States to get his free education and play golf. He met his wife in Utah unless I'm mistaken, so he, like most men, made a compromise. Mike is a canadian with dual citizenship. I don't think he considers himself an american, he considers himself a canadian!!!!!!

Raising his kids in the US and paying taxes in the US and living the American way might you add. Will he move back here ever? Do his kids have dual citizenship?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    My lovely wife just pointed this out... The brain drain. If a doctor goes to the states because he gets more money, more research and a tax advantage, does that make him less Canadian? Mike went where he needed to go to achieve what he's achieved. He contributes to the canadian economy big time, and canadian charities. Mike's my favourite, when he wins it's awesome and when he loses it hurts.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    So when Tiger beat the crap out of Wier on a few Sunday's were you Embaressed??? are you still? or has the win at the PC taken that away?
    I guess with this much pride for a Canadian, when he loses,you can't come out of the house for months. Must have been a tough couple of years!!!

The only National Pride for me ----Team Canada Hockey-MENS------The rest just does not matter. It's nice if other Team Canada's or Canadian player do well.

Perhaps liking a person or Team by results or just your favorite, should be more important than liking a person because he is born in your Country..
    I like Ames and don't care where he is from. He speaks his mind, plays good golf and is fun to watch...Other guys might be better or worse and boring..But I would rather watch Ames than Wier. I don't like the way Mike plays, I also don't like Sergio not because he is from Spain(or where ever) I just don't like watching him.
    Using the I like this person or Team because they are Canadian means there should be no Yankee or Redsox Fans in Canada if we have National Pride. If we have the pride we must cheer for the Blue Jays or do we need to pick the Team with the Most Canadians to have National Pride? I guess the NFL is out of the question unless there is a Canadian on the Team.

Gretzky's kids have both USA and Canadian.

"WOW" Geoff that is one heck of a statment if I understand it correctly - You have no pride for any Canadian unless he or she was born in Canada - Regardless if they do well or not?? that just does not seem right, to me. Maybe I'm not following your statments?..Sorry if it's me....

I think you may be a little wrong on Lewis - iIf I remember it right it was about funding and Canada would not give what was needed and the UK would - MONEY was the reason, not UK over Canada

You're right, you're not following what I said. If you read it properly, you'll understand that, although he calls Canada "home", he still plays for T&T during national competitions. For that reason, and not because he was born elsewhere, I don't feel any sense of national pride when he accomplishes something. Am I happy for him that he's won a Player's Championship, sure. Do I consider it a great achievement for canadian golf, not really. Only because he refuses to sport the canadian banner. If you want to call yourself canadian, be prepared to represent our nation if someone asks you to. Don't go running off to the country you were born in and represent them nationally and expect canadians to still welcome you with open arms when you return.

And as for the statement that there should be no Yankee or Red Sox in Canada is absurd. Never once in this thread did anyone say that because we are in Canada we can only like canadian teams or players. The question was, do you feel a sense of national pride when someone who has achieved canadian citizenship succeeds in their profession. Who is your favourite player or team is not the issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    My lovely wife just pointed this out... The brain drain. If a doctor goes to the states because he gets more money, more research and a tax advantage, does that make him less Canadian? Mike went where he needed to go to achieve what he's achieved. He contributes to the canadian economy big time, and canadian charities. Mike's my favourite, when he wins it's awesome and when he loses it hurts.

Unfortunately, canadian universities do no offer scholarships,

When school was over he could have come back here.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post

How many come back here to live?

He contributes to the canadian economy big time, and canadian charities. Mike's my favourite, when he wins it's awesome and when he loses it hurts.
    how does he contribute to the CDN economy big time ? Do you have any figures?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Baxter
    Thank You Geoff. Like I said I thought I was missing something. I guess getting caught up in the thread can color ones eyes if allowed to.

Thank You again.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    It is not where you are from but where you are AT. If you are the type of person who will promote anything canadian might as well back this horse too!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I feel a sense of pride when Stephen Ames does well. When I see his name on the leader board, even this late in the season, I sit up and take note, otherwise I would not follow that closely. He chose Canada and to me that is significant. As for Mike, full marks to him for never forgetting his roots. The ones I would tend to look poorly on would be those that have left and then taken up citizenship elsewhere. That to me is turning your back on your country and roots. Anyone who has to move to pursue their dream/career does not take that decision lightly. I've done it and I know the impact on the family. I don't know the story about Ames decision to play the AT&T but will give him the benefit of the doubt until someone says he did it to slight his adopted home.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

I am sure this will become "someones" avatar............

Here is an article from Rob Thompson last Feb on Ames' Honest Approach
    http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2007/02/23...nest-approach/

I am certain he did not win many fans over from Hamilton with his comment regarding the city............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I don't get how people don't cheer for Ames as a Canadian. The only reason i can see is that they don't like him as a person. THere can't be another reason that i can think of.

Did people not cheer for Donovan Bailey in the Olympics, and more importantly when he raced Michael Johnson in that 150m event? Bailey is Jamaican i believe, he is def. not Canadian. So the only diff is that Bailey raced for Canada, not Jamaca, right?

HOw many World Cups has Weir played for Canada? I can guarantee its not everyone since he had earned a guaranteed spot on the team! What is he too tired to play an extra week for his country? Ya Ames hasn't played for Canada, but if you were a dual citizen and you could either play with Rutledge for Canada, or play with your brother for T & T, you can bet i am playin with my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I don't get how people don't cheer for Ames as a Canadian. The only reason i can see is that they don't like him as a person. THere can't be another reason that i can think of.

Did people not cheer for Donovan Bailey in the Olympics, and more importantly when he raced Michael Johnson in that 150m event? Bailey is Jamaican i believe, he is def. not Canadian. So the only diff is that Bailey raced for Canada, not Jamaca, right?

HOw many World Cups has Weir played for Canada? I can guarantee its not everyone since he had earned a guaranteed spot on the team! What is he too tired to play an extra week for his country? Ya Ames hasn't played for Canada, but if you were a dual citizen and you could either play with Rutledge for Canada, or play with your brother for T & T, you can bet i am playin with my brother.
    Glad you like him.................Stephen would commend you for living in a what he reffered to as a "sh***y city" (Hamilton)..........
    http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2007/02/23...nest-approach/

P.S. I know you would rather be back in Ottawa but your personal life requires you to be in Hamilton at this time........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Mikey all the way---maybe I am predjudice but he was born here---I like Stephen and watch him play but I still say Mike.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    Thank You Geoff. Like I said I thought I was missing something. I guess getting caught up in the thread can color ones eyes if allowed to.

Thank You again.

It's quite interesting to see just how passionate people are about their nationality. To me, no bad has come from this thread. It's all good. I like seeing other's points of view as to what they deem to be be patriotic and not. A very good read so far.

Ames just Got er done!!

Anyone think there is a huge party going on somewhere in T&T???

Ames just Got er done!!

Anyone think there is a huge party going on somewhere in T&T???
    More likely there............then in Canada.......................

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    More likely there............then in Canada.......................
    Surely he must have some friends in Calgary who'd tip a glass in his honour

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Surely he must have some friends in Calgary who'd tip a glass in his honour
    His wife and her family?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    His wife and her family?
    At least Canadians will be benefiting from his winnings via the tax man.........

Thread Information