100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Do you feel national pride when it comes to Stephen Ames?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 35.71%
  • No

36 64.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Do you feel national pride when Stephen Ames does well?

I like the guy, but it's not like he makes me proud when he does well.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I like the guy, but it's not like he makes me proud when he does well.

I'm the same as you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I'm the same as you.

You're a lucky man then! LOL
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    You're a lucky man then! LOL

I like seeing him do well, but I really only feel pride when Weir is succesful. And it's not because Ames became a canadian citizen, it's because he has snubbed Canada in events like the World Cup of golf to go and play for T&T.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Iron langille5 is on a distinguished road
    I agree with you guys. I do when Weir plays well but not Ames

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I cheer more for Weir because he's lefty, I'm happy for both of them when they do well.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    So why do you like Weir so much or should I say why are you so proud of him? To my knowledge he does not live here. He does not pay taxes here. His kids are growing in a different culture. ????? He has roots here but besides that and endorsements he is pretty much an American to me.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    So why do you like Weir so much or should I say why are you so proud of him? To my knowledge he does not live here. He does not pay taxes here. His kids are growing in a different culture. ????? He has roots here but besides that and endorsements he is pretty much an American to me.

He shows his canadian roots and answers the national call when that phone rings.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Like the way he says what he is thinking. He doesn't hold back. Just wish he could talk without flashing that toothy grin. Yikes, talk about horse mouth!
    "Get your smile on!"

He shows his canadian roots and answers the national call when that phone rings.
    Endorsements and skins games always make the call a little easier. I don't consider
    him anymore Canadian than Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky. Where you live and where your kids grow up is your home. Sorry.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Endorsements and skins games always make the call a little easier. I don't consider
    him anymore Canadian than Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky. Where you live and where your kids grow up is your home. Sorry.

That is your opinion, personally I don't feel that way.

So you must think Ames is more canadian than Weir because he lives in Calgary. Yet when it's time to represent "your" country Ames chooses T&T, yet Weir chooses Canada. So who in your eyes is more canadian?

And using Lemieux and Gretzky as examples is not the same. They played on teams to which they were drafted or traded to. And once they had families they decided to not uproot them. In my eyes, that doesn't make them any less canadian. Whenever Canada came calling, they always represented our country with honour and pride. Brett Hull on the other hand is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    Like the way he says what he is thinking. He doesn't hold back. Just wish he could talk without flashing that toothy grin. Yikes, talk about horse mouth!
    He has no control over that. I've never seen you Andy but I am sure you would not be too happy if someone depicted your physical attributes or whatever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

That is your opinion, personally I don't feel that way.

So you must think Ames is more canadian than Weir because he lives in Calgary. Yet when it's time to represent "your" country Ames chooses T&T, yet Weir chooses Canada. So who in your eyes is more canadian?

And using Lemieux and Gretzky as examples is not the same. They played on teams to which they were drafted or traded to. And once they had families they decided to not uproot them. In my eyes, that doesn't make them any less canadian. Whenever Canada came calling, they always represented our country with honour and pride. Brett Hull on the other hand is another story.

If Weir was asked to play the Ryder Cup he may not turn it down. He does not turn it down because of all his Canadian endorsements.These guys are in the business of making dollars except for a few. Lemieux and Gretzky had the choice of moving back here when they retired. Do you think little Lemieux will speak French or Litttle Gretzky going around saying oat and aboat?
    Mahatma Gandhi

If Weir was asked to play the Ryder Cup he may not turn it down. He does not turn it down because of all his Canadian endorsements.These guys are in the business of making dollars except for a few. Lemieux and Gretzky had the choice of moving back here when they retired. Do you think little Lemieux will speak French or Litttle Gretzky going around saying oat and aboat?

Weir will never be asked to play in the Ryder Cup, so that is irrelevant. And like I pointed out, Lemieux, Gretzky and others play(ed) in cities and decided to not move once they retire(d). I don't blame them, that can take quite the toll on kids as they grow up.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Seems like I won't change yours, and I know you won't change mine. To me, where someone chooses to reside doesn't make them any more or less patriotic.

I won't change my opinion. I respect yours. Remove thendorsements and he might play At&T. When you choose to live somewhere you embrace the culture and become part of it. I stick to it.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I won't change my opinion. I respect yours. Remove thendorsements and he might play At&T. When you choose to live somewhere you embrace the culture and become part of it. I stick to it.

Seems like we agree to disagree. I don't feel that's the case with Mike at all, and you can see that by the way he reacted on the 18th green of the President's Cup in Sept. He is definately canadian, through and through.

. He is definately canadian, through and through.
    Raising his kids in the US and paying taxes in the US and living the American way might you add. Will he move back here ever? Do his kids have dual citizenship?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Raising his kids in the US and paying taxes in the US and living the American way might you add. Will he move back here ever? Do his kids have dual citizenship?

I'm not sure about him moving back or his kids. I don't think he has US citizenship.

Here's something for you to ponder:

Do you think Mats Sundin, Nicklas Lidstrom and the other swedish players were shunned when they returned home to celebrate their gold medal win from the Olympics, just because they live in North America? I highly doubt it. I bet they were treated like gods.

Weir was born here, raised here until he felt his left needed to take him elsewhere. Does that make him any less a canadian? Should we treat him like a traitor? No and no. Mike is a class act, and has always showed the outmost respect when he's been put in a situation to represent his nationality.

I had an uncle who lived in Germany for most of his life. Granted he was in the canadian military, in my eyes, living over there for 15-20 yrs makes him no less a canadian to me. Sure you get used to the habits and customs of where you live, but you never forget where you came from and at any time if you were to move back to your native land, the adjustment period would be negligeable.

Anyways, we both have our sides to this, and I know this constant banter will go nowhere. So consider the above my last reply to this.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I like seeing him do well, but I really only feel pride when Weir is succesful. And it's not because Ames became a canadian citizen, it's because he has snubbed Canada in events like the World Cup of golf to go and play for T&T.

Thanks for your thoughts Geoff. I had similiar comments back in August thread when we were discussing should Weir have been picked over Ames for Presidents Cup team. Unfortunately there were a number who had "strong disagreements" with my thoughts.................Fun to look back now at all the comments...............

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...t=stephen+ames
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Do you think Mats Sundin, Nicklas Lidstrom and the other swedish players were shunned when they returned home to celebrate their gold medal win from the Olympics, just because they live in North America? I highly doubt it. I bet they were treated like gods.
    Where do they head back when the season is over? Do they stick around?
    Your uncle is a different story. He had no choice being in the military. Weir and others have the choice. I never said Weir was not a class act.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Geoff. I had similiar comments back in August thread when we were discussing should Weir have been picked over Ames for Presidents Cup team. Unfortunately there were a number who had "strong disagreements" with my thoughts.................Fun to look back now at all the comments...............

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...t=stephen+ames

Yeah, although I haven't re-read that thread, I think the basis of that was based on how well both of them had been playing up to that point. Granted I believe Ames was playing well when the PC team was picked, I think Player felt he had to have Weir there just for some home town flavour. And I'm sure Player doesn't feel Ames or Weir is anymore canadian than the other, but perhaps for the reasons I stated he felt he should choose Weir over Ames.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    come on now.....
    "Get your smile on!"

Where do they head back when the season is over? Do they stick around?
    Your uncle is a different story. He had no choice being in the military. Weir and others have the choice. I never said Weir was not a class act.

I don't know where they live. I'm pretty sure Lidstrom does reside in Detroit somewhere. But your point was living outside your home country. And for the most part of the year, if not all, most pro athletes, regardless of where they are from, reside outside their home country to participate in whatever sport they play. And Weir does come back to Canada during the year at various intervals, like other pro athletes, to visit family and friends.

I never implied you said Weir was not a class act, I just stated I believe he is.

Either way, the game's on. Gotta go watch!!!!

I am sure most fans would have preferred to see Ames "battle" Tiger in singles on that special Sunday in Montreal.....................

9 and 8.................

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2340199
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Nope.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post

On a given day anything can happen. Would the USA under Herb Brooks beat the Russians in a 4 out of 7?
    Mahatma Gandhi

On a given day anything can happen. Would the USA under Herb Brooks beat the Russians in a 4 out of 7?

I think this is a bit off topic. I think PEI's post was just poking fun, no real relevance to it.

"Woods apparently took his comments seriously. As he climbed into a van behind the 10th green after halving the hole with pars, he was asked he had seen what Ames said.
    "Yes."
    Did it motivate him?
    "Yes."
    Asked if he cared to elaborate, Woods smiled.
    "No."

..........Asked about his reaction to Ames' comments in a press conference, Woods said, "Nine and eight."

GOTTA LOVE THAT ANSWER

Did I feel National Embaressment.......NOPE...........as I do NOT feel National Pride when he does well !!!!

I think this is a bit off topic. I think PEI's post was just poking fun, no real relevance to it.

I thought you had a game to watch.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I thought you had a game to watch.

Intermission.

Thread Information