CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Evel Knievel dead

For those old enough to remember, this guy was was a blast to watch.
    Yes he was flashy but then he had to be, he was a sideshow. It's amazing he didnt die from one of his many jumps. One of the old boys for sure.

He died yesterday in his sleep. He was 69, RIP
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Good Old Evel. It's amazing he lasted as long as he did when you think about some of the crashes the man had. He was special to watch.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    For those old enough to remember, this guy was was a blast to watch.
    Yes he was flashy but then he had to be, he was a sideshow. It's amazing he didnt die from one of his many jumps. One of the old boys for sure.

He died yesterday in his sleep. He was 69, RIP
    He was amazing at some of the stunts he did back then.Your right i'm surprised he never died in some of them stunts.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    He was amazing at some of the stunts he did back then.Your right i'm surprised he never died in some of they stunts.
    Exactly, in those days jumping over busses and the amount of cars he did was in a leaque of his own. Two thumbs up for sure
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Yeah, for those of us who grew up in that era, there was no one tougher. To cheer on his successes, and to marvel at his comebacks from some of the most spectacular failures you've ever seen. The broken bones, the concussions. It was truly surreal. He was a true icon.

I remember having the Evil Knievel stunt cycle when I was a kid. Spending hours reenacting all of his stunts. We would faithfully watch his exploits on Wide World of Sports. He was everywhere. Posters, toys, commercials, billboards, you name it.

To us kids, he was Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, Superman, and Houdini, all rolled into one.

In his era, he was as big as Tiger Woods, or Wayne Gretzky.

Thanks Evil Knievel for being my daredevil. Growing up was a lot cooler with you around. RIP.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Yeah, for those of us who grew up in that era, there was no one tougher. To cheer on his successes, and to marvel at his comebacks from some of the most spectacular failures you've ever seen. The broken bones, the concussions. It was truly surreal. He was a true icon.

I remember having the Evil Knievel stunt cycle when I was a kid. Spending hours reenacting all of his stunts. We would faithfully watch his exploits on Wide World of Sports. He was everywhere. Posters, toys, commercials, billboards, you name it.

To us kids, he was Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, Superman, and Houdini, all rolled into one.

In his era, he was as big as Tiger Woods, or Wayne Gretzky.

Thanks Evil Knievel for being my daredevil. Growing up was a lot cooler with you around. RIP.
    Yes, he was huge when a youngster.

Remember the kids in the neighbourhood had plywood ramps set up and we were jumping garbage cans with our "chopperstyle" bikes with the big chopper handlebars. Suprised more of us did not end up with similiar broken bones as Knievel.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    hard to believe it was 33 years ago he tried to jump the snake river canyon. I remember watching it on tv and all the hype around it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    He sure was special, I'm sure any kid then with a bike pretended they were Evel Knievel at least once. I know in my family we had tons of bumps and bruises pretending we were him............ I'm surprised we all survived trying stunts like his!!! RIP E. K. !!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    He was one of a kind that's for sure. I remember one Christams my older brother got an pull-cord Evi Knievel toy motorcycle that came with a tiny Evil Knievel to ride it an a little ramp for jumoing. Coolest Christmas gift ever.

Here's a cool interview with him that was in Golf Digest a while back:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/myshot_gd0508
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    He was one of a kind that's for sure. I remember one Christams my older brother got an pull-cord Evi Knievel toy motorcycle that came with a tiny Evil Knievel to ride it an a little ramp for jumoing. Coolest Christmas gift ever.

Here's a cool interview with him that was in Golf Digest a while back:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/myshot_gd0508
    That was one of the best GD articles ever. I still laugh when I read it. He was one of a kind.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Baxter
    Was lucky enough to have met Evil Knievel in California. Had a few drinks and was lucky enough to be able to sit and listen to his stories. What a interesting man to speak with. He had a hard time moving back than. Guy's do any of you recall or Remember the story going around that he broke every bone in his body except his pinky finger. Well I asked him about that. His answer was " Ya, I heard that story as well, I wish to hell it was true""I have broke them both more F%^%ing times than any other"
    I know I have a photo of him and I. I also had it signed by him. If I can find it can some one pm with how to post images.

His walking stick had a Eagle on the top. The top screwed off and the stick was loaded with JD. Even saw him refill it.
    I am glad I had the chance.

Thread Information