100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Noodles is on a distinguished road

Question Number of balls played

Kind of a dumb question but can you use one ball until you get to the green and then use another ball to putt with?

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles
    Kind of a dumb question but can you use one ball until you get to the green and then use another ball to putt with?
    The simple answer is no.

You must hole out with the ball you put in play from the teeing ground.

You may only substitute a ball under very specific circumstances that may occur during play of the hole, and they must be a result of your play.

You may substitute any ball for your ball in play if:

1) It becomes seriously cut or out of round. You must allow your opponent or fellow-competitor to see the ball before you may take it out of play. There are further rules about the status of a ball so taken out of play if you decide on a later hole to put this ball back in play.

2) The ball in play becomes lost or lost in a hazard.

3) The ball in play is out of reach in an obstruction, or hole of a burrowing animal.

4) The ball cannot be retrieved, but is identified.

In situations 1 and 3, you may substitute a ball without penalty, and in 2 and 4 you must apply the appropriate penalty for either lost, lost in a hazard, or unplayable.

(and as always wait for Gary to confirm, this is just the rule as I remember it, I'd always verify my options from the rules before taking a ball out of play)
    Last edited by spidey; 09-03-2003 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling only
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    spidey has posted only a small list of the many situations in which a ball may be subsituted, but the basic premise is correct.

Rule 15-1. A player must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground unless a Rule permits him to substitute another ball.

Rule 16-1b allows you to lift your ball on the putting green, but does not provide for the substitution of another ball.
    The lifted ball must be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    spidey.....is correct.
    Must remember not to let this go to my head.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Historic event

Go to the head of the class!

Homework assignment:

List ALL the cases where a ball may be substituted during play of hole.

(Penmanship counts) :greensmil

Homework assignment:

List ALL the cases where a ball may be substituted during play of hole.

(Penmanship counts) :greensmil

5-3. Ball Unfit for Play
    .... If it is determined that the ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, the player may substitute another ball, placing it on the spot where the original ball lay....

10-1. Match Play
    c. Playing Out of Turn

If a player plays when his opponent should have played, the opponent may immediately require the player to cancel the stroke so played and, in correct order, play a ball without penalty as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

15-1. General
    A player must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground unless a Rule permits him to substitute another ball. If a player substitutes another ball when not so permitted, that ball is not a wrong ball; it becomes the ball in play and, if the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player shall incur a penalty of loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play.

Rule 18. Ball at Rest Moved
    Note 1: If a ball to be replaced under this Rule is not immediately recoverable, another ball may be substituted.

20-2. Dropping and Re-dropping
    c. When to Re-Drop

...If a ball to be re-dropped or placed under this Rule is not immediately recoverable, another ball may be substituted. ...

24-2. Immovable Obstruction
    Note 2: If a ball to be dropped or placed under this Rule is not immediately recoverable, another ball may be substituted.

24-2. c Ball Lost
    Through the Green: If the ball last entered the immovable obstruction at a spot through the green, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 24-2b(i).

In a Bunker: If the ball last entered the immovable obstruction at a spot in a bunker, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 24-2b(ii).

In a Water Hazard (including a Lateral Water Hazard): If the ball last entered the immovable obstruction at a spot in a water hazard, the player is not entitled to relief without penalty. The player shall proceed under Rule 26-1.

On the Putting Green: If the ball last entered the immovable obstruction at a spot on the putting green, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 24-2b(iii).

25-1. Abnormal Ground Condition

Note 2: If a ball to be dropped or placed under this Rule is not immediately recoverable, another ball may be substituted.

c. Ball Lost

Through the Green: If the ball last entered the abnormal ground condition at a spot through the green, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 25-1b(i).

In a Bunker: If the ball last entered the abnormal ground condition at a spot in a bunker, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 25-1b(ii).

In a Water Hazard (including a Lateral Water Hazard): If the ball last entered the abnormal ground condition at a spot in a water hazard, the player is not entitled to relief without penalty. The player shall proceed under Rule 26-1.

On the Putting Green: If the ball last entered the abnormal ground condition at a spot on the putting green, the player may substitute another ball without penalty and take relief as prescribed in Rule 25-1b(iii).

Rule 26. Water Hazards
    (Including Lateral Water Hazards)

...everywhere it says "a ball"

Rule 27. Ball Lost or Out of Bounds;
    Provisional Ball

Rule 28. Ball Unplayable

[/color]

Most impressive !!!

In particular, your acknowledgement of the difference between "a ball" and "the ball".

For example: Rule 24-2b. says: The player shall lift the ball and drop it within one club-length....

That means that you must drop the ball that lay in/on the obstruction.

But Rule 28-b. allows you to: Drop a ball within two club-lengths ....

That means you can take a ball out of your bag and drop it, even though the ball you declared unplayable is within reach.

Most impressive !!!
    Holy cow. Two in a row. Check my pulse!

[/color]

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking way to go spidey

You da man!

I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Omitted:
    Rule 6-8d (Resumption of play after suspension of play)
    If a player leaves his ball on the course when play is discontinued, he may replace the ball when play is resumed.

Rule 24-1 Movable Obstruction

But you still get an "A".    

But you still get an "A".    

"A" is good.

...and where do you find these goofy gifs?

[/color]

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.    

<<< stolen

Hehehe What I meant was, I stole it from you, to add to our smilies here.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

related question?

What about substituting a different type of ball, is this allowed? It is my recollection that you must play the same type of ball for the entire round. You can't use a distance ball for the par fives and a spin ball for the par threes. Is this true?

thx,

4jag.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 4jag
    What about substituting a different type of ball
    This is not in the rules of golf. The rules of golf only differentiate between conforming balls and non-conforming balls. Only PGA Tour rules make such a stipulation.

The rules allow you to use any type of ball you want any place you're allowed to substitute, or put a ball in play. (well, assuming that the ball conforms)

[/color]

The Committe may include this Local Rule in the conditions of competition.

One Ball Condition
    During a stipulated round, the balls a player uses must be of the same brand and type as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

Most pro events use this Local Rule including all the major Tours.
    Ottawa Zone CPGA events use this Local Rule.
    Last edited by Gary Hill; 09-09-2003 at 02:17 PM.

Thread Information