CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar

Question Best Private course for the money

I'm looking for other Ottawa Golfers opinions on the local Private Golf Club scene around the area. I know that Ottawa Hunt Club, Rivermead and the Royal Ottawa are great courses (If you can afford the Initiation fee), but I just don't have $50K buring a hole in my pocket. Has anyone had a bad experience at a local private club? Is there a "best bang for the buck"? All opinions are welcome.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shushu
    I'm looking for other Ottawa Golfers opinions on the local Private Golf Club scene around the area. I know that Ottawa Hunt Club, Rivermead and the Royal Ottawa are great courses (If you can afford the Initiation fee), but I just don't have $50K buring a hole in my pocket. Has anyone had a bad experience at a local private club? Is there a "best bang for the buck"? All opinions are welcome.
    Other options are Camelot, Rideau View or Carleton. Or there is the Clublink route. Joining one of the standard old courses gets you the privilege of playing that course, along with the status of membership at a particular course. Clublink allows you to play at any number of courses. For example, if you join at Greyhawk, 9.5K initiation, you can golf Kanata, Haute Plains (The Dome), Le Matre (Tremblant), a bunch of courses in the TO area and the Muskokas, and a few courses around Montreal including Fountainblue, which I hear is tremendous. Greyhawk, the original course, is expected to re-open next year (I believe) as Talon, so the Greyhawk facility will have 36 private holes. That might not be a bad option.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Andru
    For 10K it may not be that bad at all. Considering Kanata Lakes is 22K

I don't know 10K is a lot of public golf at stonebridge, EC, Marshes (With the VIP Membership) or some of the other nice public tracks. I would join Kanata if it was 9.5k

I've played Kanata a few times over the last few years and I agree that $9.5-10K would be a great price. I can't beleive that Clublink refers to it as a Platinum Course. $22K is crazy. I have heard a lot about Rideauview. Does anyone know what the conditions are comparible too condition wise?

The 9.5K at Predator gets you unlimited free golf at every course in the Clublink family, including Kanata, with the execption of Glen Abbey and the prestige courses, Greystone and Kings Valley. And you get to play at these courses for a very reduced rate, i.e Glen Abbey is $55 instead of $235, the prestige courses are $80. And if there is a full course event taking place at Greyhawk, the prestige courses are free that day.

Also, Clublink is planning to add 2-3 more clubs in the Ottawa area over the next few years. (Is the Stonebridge rumour going to start up again, especially since a buddy saw a Clublink pickup truck at Stonebridge the other day?!?) Rumour is that the entrance fee for Greyhawk will be 11.5K before winter, and I would bet money that it will increase again when Talon opens up out there.

I joined in late June and it's been a really positive experience. The members that I have met are professional and friendly, they have an active ladies membership, and the men's night has been a lot of fun. I've had the opportunity to play Kanata, Hautes Plains, and I plan to get a round or two in at Le Maitre before the year is out. Everyone says to get to Montreal and play Le Fontainebleau, which may be a Canadian Open site in a few years, and Val des Lacs, just north of Montreal, is supposed to be really nice too, not very busy.

So in the Ottawa area, there are three Clublink courses to play, with more to come, and within a couple of hours drive, I have another three to four courses to play. And if I want a longer road trip, I have a bunch around Toronto, and three resort courses in the Muskokas. None of which I have to pay any extra for. It may not be for everybody, but it's working well for me so far.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

What are the yearly dues like? Is there a bar tab as well? 9.5 isn't bad when you consider that you can play all of the clublink courses in Ottawa for free as well. I thought that there was at least some sort of pay as you go for the others. I guess I have been very mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shushu
    What are the yearly dues like? Is there a bar tab as well? 9.5 isn't bad when you consider that you can play all of the clublink courses in Ottawa for free as well. I thought that there was at least some sort of pay as you go for the others. I guess I have been very mis-informed.
    The yearly fees are around 2300.00, and a bar tab of 200.00 per half season (400.00 in total) and any meal or drink at any Clublink club goes towards that. Kanata used to be a pay as you go for Greyhawk members, but Greyhawk was bumped to Gold status, so all platinum, silver and gold courses are free.

Check out http://www.clublink.ca/indexeng.html and clink on Become A Member. It's got some info there.
    Colby

Andru
    Hold on if I can play Kanata Lakes as much as I want if I join Predator why not join predator and save myself 12K? It can't be can anyone confirm this?

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Yes you can play Kanata Lakes for free if you join Predator. The only restriction is on the tee-times. Kanata members have preferred tee-times while members for other courses can only play in certain tee-times.

For example, I am a Predator member and I played Kanata Lakes, Rattlesnake (in Oakville), Fontainebleau and Le Maitre at Tremblant this year, all for free. But usually, I can't get a tee-time earlier than 9:30 because those tee-times are reserved for their local members.

I thought I saw somewhere something about having to play a certain percentage of your rounds at your home course (80% seems to ring a bell) but I can't find that info anywhere on their website...

Colby, you can also play Prestige courses (Greystone, King Valley and Rattlesnake (in 2004)) for free in case of:

1) A full shotgun tournament which closes down the course (as you mentioned)

2) If you play with three guests (not Clublink members) and they pay the full guest fee

Also, Glen Abbey is $55 + cart.

If you get a chance, go play Rattlesnake this year before it goes Prestige. It's an awesome 36 holes of golf...

LongBallHitter,

Thanks for the info, I had some of that, but not all.

I would love to get to Rattlesnake, but alas, it's not in the cards :crying

I don't remember seeing the 80% thing for playing at your home course, I'll have to dig through the by-laws a bit closer.
    Colby

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I can't seem to find that 80% rule anywhere either... Must be the fruit of my imagination...

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Hold on if I can play Kanata Lakes as much as I want if I join Predator why not join predator and save myself 12K? It can't be can anyone confirm this?
    As someone mentioned, Kanata members get the preferred tee times but this is not usually a problem. You may need to tee-off at 8:30 instead of 8:15.

Also because Kanata is a Platinum course, you can play the 2 Prestige courses at no cost where as us Greyhawk members pay a reciprocal fee (with the exceptions mentioned above).

I find the Clublink membership great so far. The fact that access to the range is included in the membership adds some value. They are some great courses (hopefully some more to come). The pace of play is always just over 4 hours which is great. The staff at the courses really treat you well too.

Reading through some fine print, it looks like the course director has the ability to limit access for reciprocal play by visiting members. For example if the home membership tends to play early morning tee times, the course can block off times from x to x to ensure that the home course members get the times that they want. Other than that, there is no limitation on reciprocal play.

Also, when there is a tournament at our home course, we can play any other course on that day, with the exception of Glen Abbey, with no reciprocal fee due.
    Colby

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Also, Clublink is planning to add 2-3 more clubs in the Ottawa area over the next few years. (Is the Stonebridge rumour going to start up again, especially since a buddy saw a Clublink pickup truck at Stonebridge the other day?!?)
    Stonebridge would be an awesome addition. Anything in the south end of the city would be an ideal. Have you heard any rumours which seem to be from reliable sources...or would seem to have a ring of truth to them? Over the years, I have heard rumours involving Stonebridge, Cedarhill, Emerald/Cloverdale Links. Not sure how reliable any of these were.

Colby,if you are ever looking for a playing partner at any of the clublink courses let me know. A buddy and I joined last year and are always looking for others to get a round in. We are even considering a day trip in the next couple of weeks to the Montreal area.

Any other Clublink members out there?

Thread Information