100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

Women's Open Volunteers

Not sure if this belongs in local or general since people may travel, so please move it as you see fit.

Anyone here considering volunteering next year?

I looked at the webpage and it sounds like it might be kind of cool if you get one of the better jobs. I'm assuming that "serious" golfers would be given a priority for the inside the ropes jobs, which would be kind of cool.

http://www.rcga.org/subsites/canadia...nteer_home.asp
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'm in for caddying for the pro am or something inside the ropes. I'll fill it out later tonight. Might as well get a head start. Thanks for the link.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I just applied. Fingers crossed...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I just applied too. If I end up driving Paula or Gulbis, I'm gonna plotz!!!!!!!!! Don't think the wife will be too impressed though! LOL!!! Maybe I'll buy my new vehicle that week, just get it all over with in one shot.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Not sure if this belongs in local or general since people may travel, so please move it as you see fit.

Anyone here considering volunteering next year?

I looked at the webpage and it sounds like it might be kind of cool if you get one of the better jobs. I'm assuming that "serious" golfers would be given a priority for the inside the ropes jobs, which would be kind of cool.

http://www.rcga.org/subsites/canadia...nteer_home.asp

It doesn't have anything to do with "being a serious golfer". I've volunteered for two years now and if anything, knowing who and being a member of said club has much more to say. That being said, you can get great opportunities. I have enjoyed scoring a whole lot. You get to walk with the women and their caddies for hours, and you see sides of them you never did. I'll be volunteering again.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    A friend of mine was a volunteer at the President's Cup and duties assigned as nothing to do with your golfing ability. For the President's Cup they gave the host course volunteer top pick and then granted second pick to the course where the Royal montreal members played while the course was closed. I believe it was beaconsfield. After that they go through the list and assigned duties as they need them while trying to accomodate people's top 3 picks.

Marshalling is the only one that had some sort of prerequisite and that was you needed to have sound knowledge of golfing etiquette and basic knowledge of golf rules.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I just applied too. If I end up driving Paula or Gulbis, I'm gonna plotz!!!!!!!!! Don't think the wife will be too impressed though! LOL!!! Maybe I'll buy my new vehicle that week, just get it all over with in one shot.
    I guessing they probably have their own drivers as part of their entourage.

You might end up with Laura Davies though. In which case you probably won't get any grief from the wife.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I found it kind of odd that they would charge volunteers $65...i know it includes golf shirt, tournament passes, etc. But volunteers give up their time for these type of events and without them...the tournament would not happen. Just curious, is this normal?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I found it kind of odd that they would charge volunteers $65...i know it includes golf shirt, tournament passes, etc. But volunteers give up their time for these type of events and without them...the tournament would not happen. Just curious, is this normal?

Yes it is normal. There was a charge for the volunteers when it was held in London. There is a charge for volunteers for the CanadianOpen. Heck there was a charge involved for the volunteers at the Canadian MID AM which was held this past summer at The Oaks.
    For $65 you are really getting a good deal. Think about this, if you get to work the range you are right there with the players. If you get to be a driver you can chat with them to and from the course. Same thing if you are a marshal, scorer etc.
    To me that is worth paying $65.00 Toss in passes and it really is a good deal. Trust me, if you have not seen the LPGA in action you are in for a real treat. Like the slogan says
    THESE LADIES ROCK!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I guessing they probably have their own drivers as part of their entourage.

You might end up with Laura Davies though. In which case you probably won't get any grief from the wife.
    When the tournament was in London they had volunteer drivers to get the players back and forth to their hotels. They'll do the same thing in Ottawa.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Women's open

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post

I don't think you will caddie for a pro but more for an amateur
    Too bad cause I would have liked to be on Gulbis bag

Quote Originally Posted by chipandput View Post
    I don't think you will caddie for a pro but more for an amateur
    Too bad cause I would have liked to be on Gulbis bag
    You could caddy for a Pro, although she would be a lesser known name. Last summer in London there were players who did not have their own caddies. A friend of mine caddied for Mhairi McKay from Scotland. The organizers were actually scrambling around looking for some caddies the day before the tournament started.

A lot of the women who are way down on the money list do not travel with their own caddies, they can not afford too. They just pick one up at tournaments.

Hey Donny, you do not use your own vehicle to drive the Pro's back and forth. Those vans are supplied for you. I doubt you'll drive Natalie, somehow I think she would go back and forth to the course privately.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    I live two blocks away... I'm taking early bird reservation for "Eldred Champions Club" passes.. You get complimentary parking pass, all you can eat Pad Thai, two bottles of Corona with wedge of lime.. All for one easy payment of $29.99 + 5% gst

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Awwww man, I was hoping to drive 'em around in my nice heated leather seats! Wait, it's August... LOL
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    I live two blocks away... I'm taking early bird reservation for "Eldred Champions Club" passes.. You get complimentary parking pass, all you can eat Pad Thai, two bottles of Corona with wedge of lime.. All for one easy payment of $29.99 + 5% gst

Why don't you offer a room or two to the players in need. Just don't tell Dr. H about it

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I volunteered at the DuMaurier when it was held at the Royal Ottawa. Was worried that I could not do this one as our daughter was planning her wedding for that week. However the wedding is now scheduled for Aug. 9 so I am in

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Why don't you offer a room or two to the players in need. Just don't tell Dr. H about it
    Dr. Hawkeyes? He might give complimentary physical exam on the spot

I received my committee selection mail today. I got the "Standard Bearer" group.

What did others get?

Donny, are you going to be driving the Creamer-mobile?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Got my email as well about caddying in the Pro Am. Hope this is good times!!

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    you received e-mail or Canada Post? Today?

Mine was Canada Post.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I got Scoring Central/Leaderboard. Not what I was originally hoping for, but I'll take it.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I got mine and I'm on Spectator Services but would rather have something on the course. It will be fun as there should be lots of time to watch.

5 Iron priorlad is on a distinguished road
    I appear to be destined for the "scoring" committee. In what capacity, I'm not certain.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Can someone confirm if they charge to be a volunteer at this event?Would like to hear from Apex1972 if they charged you at the Dumaurier Open.A friend of mine was with Laurie Cane and I dont think he paid to Volunteer.Does not make any sense to me.

9 Iron left and gone is on a distinguished road
    The charge is to cover the cost of the clothing. As well you receive 2 passes with the package. The thing that appealed to me is that you get to watch from inside the ropes which is why I will be a Marshall on one of the holes. I get to watch for free, get some souvenir stuff at a discount plus tickets for clients/friends. My view it is a pretty good deal.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Volunteering

It is not free if you have to pay for it.I guest that the tour is not so profitable and they have to charge a certain amount of money but it goes against the real concept of volunteering.At our hospital,volunteers are not asked to pay for there parking,they get lunch money and a uniform.Plus at the end of the year they have a banquet to celebrate there good action.If i decide to go to the Canadian Open with my wife i will be more than happy to pay the 25.00 or 30.00 fee to get in to see them play.My beef is calling it volunteer work and having to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by left and gone View Post
    The charge is to cover the cost of the clothing. As well you receive 2 passes with the package. The thing that appealed to me is that you get to watch from inside the ropes which is why I will be a Marshall on one of the holes. I get to watch for free, get some souvenir stuff at a discount plus tickets for clients/friends. My view it is a pretty good deal.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Can someone confirm if they charge to be a volunteer at this event?Would like to hear from Apex1972 if they charged you at the Dumaurier Open.A friend of mine was with Laurie Cane and I dont think he paid to Volunteer.Does not make any sense to me.
    I definitely paid for my uniform shirt, hat and vest when volunteering at the DuMaurier in 2000. I seem to recall it was about $125. They are in mint condition and hanging in my closet. I treasure them as collector's items.
    Unfortunately I won't be doing this year's event, as pre-wedding responsibilities must take priority.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

From what I have read elsewhere, all of the PGA Tour volunteers also have to pay and they are rolling in $$$.

The issue is that if you don't make the volunteers pay you get a bunch of people who show up for the free stuff (clothes, tournament access, etc) and then don't show up for their shifts, which puts them in a bind.

IMHO the fee is nominal for what you get.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    The issue is that if you don't make the volunteers pay you get a bunch of people who show up for the free stuff (clothes, tournament access, etc) and then don't show up for their shifts, which puts them in a bind.
    A lot of tournaments have this problem even with making people pay $100-$150. They usually try to get more people than they need knowing some won't show up once they get their stuff. Think of how bad it would be if the shirts, passes etc were free.

Thread Information