+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intelligolf

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Intelligolf

Hello all, I'll be purchasing Intelligolf as soon as I get my new M5 (garmin... now the BMW). I have never used intelligolf so don't know much about it. I've read the FAQ on the website and its look interesting.

1. Birdie or Eagle. THey are all pretty cheap so I was thinking of going with the eagle but I don't want it there to be to much "noise" on the screen while I'm trying to read it so I was thinking of going birdie. I then read that with the eagle you can use a service such as google earth to map a course.

So, eagle or birdie?

2. Has anyone used google earth to map a course and then upload it it the GPS device? It looks like a very lengthy process.

3. Surveying a course, how long does it take? How hard is it?

4. How many points of reference per hole? 250, 200, 150, 100, front of the green, back of the green, centre of the green, bunkers, trees, water, carry the water ect.
    If I run out of points can I just mark the white teams and not the rest?

What are some cool features? What do you like about intelligolf? They have a ton of ottawa courses on their site by there are a lot I play that are missing. Is there a group of you that have surveyed courses and share them? Anyway to get in on that? Anyway, just want to know what to expect. wht things does it keep track of, what do you primarily use it for ect.

I'm so pumped to get this, dont' know what I didn't do this sooner!

I may get another system for Toronto, can one intelligolf purchase be installed on two GPS units?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    1) Eagle for GPS

2) Don't waste your time. I did it for Meadows and it was 20 yards off in all directions.

3) a few rounds unless you just go out to do the survey, then it would take almost as long as it takes to play

4) 9 points per hole (plenty) 200, 150, 100, front, middle, back of the green, 3 points you specify - Bunker right - OB long - Pond - Pond Carry - or whatever you like.

Mark as much or as little as you like. On Par 3's I usually just do the green.

Another system for Toronto? You do realize it is a pocket size unit don't you?

The only way to share them is on the Intelligolf site. Please post your surveys there.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

yeah... I was clever enough to buy this one for my dad for his car. I'm sure he won't mind me stealing it everytime I go play a round of golf LOL

I would like to have one in toronto as well, if he takes a liking to the GPS he is going to kick my butt if I take off with it for a few weeks at a time. Its on $200 on ebay anyway. If I don't have to ante up for the intelligolf twice then I'll do it. If I have to pay for it twice then I won't, I won't play much in toronto anyway.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking the google method can't be accurate so thanks for not letting me waste a few hours trying to map a course via that. I can't wait to start using this!

Any other cool things you use it for that is golf related?

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    I have the Eagle version and I agree with Dan.

I tried the Google Earth thing and it took too long and I was off by 10-20 yrds in some spots.

You are better off just Mapping a course while you play. Over a couple of rounds I can get most of the points. I will mark off spots while I am waiting for others in my group to prepare for their shots if I have time. All you really need to get started is the center of the green. The rest is just a bonus.

I find I use the software more for tracking scores/stats. The GPS novelty has kind of worn off since most of the courses I play are well marked with the sprinkler heads. It does come in very handy when you are coming in from an angle from off the fairway and are unsure of the yardage.

btw- in case you aren't aware you can save 25%

DISCOUNT CODE: To receive your 25% OFF discount, simply click on any "Buy Now" icon at http://www.intelligolf.com/estore.asp . Then, enter the promotional code "IG25ALL" into the "Enter Gift Certificate or Promotional Code" box (lower right) and click on Recalculate. Your discount will be applied. Then, click on the Checkout box (bottom right) and proceed as usual.

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    I feel compelled to chime in with my limited input on the Intelligolf system.

Overall, I've got no complaints with the software itself. I've got the Eagle edition, but I don't have a GPS unit. I've only used it for the scoring/stat tracking capability.

The couple times I used it, my opinion is that to make the most of all the shot tracking capability, the system is only as good as the information that's entered (obviously). Maybe it's different with the GPS element which makes tracking shots easier, but I founds it's a real PIA to effectively enter this stuff. Sure it doesn't take long.... but I found that you end up spending too much time trying to look at your PDA screen and enter information, all the while trying to maintain good pace to the game. You end up walking along the fairway (or riding), trying to enter the stats on the last hole. Sure, ideally you'd enter the information for each shot as it happens, but, usually after you hit your shot, you don't have time to stand there and enter information. Usually, you've got to clean your club, throw it back in your bag, and move on to the next shot.

Honestly, for me, it became too cumbersome entering information, and I found I was missing out on the things I like about golf i.e. the scenery, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying the course, enjoying the company, conversation, etc.

I already use a laser range finder, so I have no plans for the GPS unit (BTW - the laser is the best accessory I've ever bought). But if you want a yardage device, I'm sure Intelligolf does that and much more. I'd just have to hire a caddy to enter all my info for me, so I could still enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
    I feel compelled to chime in with my limited input on the Intelligolf system.

Overall, I've got no complaints with the software itself. I've got the Eagle edition, but I don't have a GPS unit. I've only used it for the scoring/stat tracking capability.

The couple times I used it, my opinion is that to make the most of all the shot tracking capability, the system is only as good as the information that's entered (obviously). Maybe it's different with the GPS element which makes tracking shots easier, but I founds it's a real PIA to effectively enter this stuff. Sure it doesn't take long.... but I found that you end up spending too much time trying to look at your PDA screen and enter information, all the while trying to maintain good pace to the game. You end up walking along the fairway (or riding), trying to enter the stats on the last hole. Sure, ideally you'd enter the information for each shot as it happens, but, usually after you hit your shot, you don't have time to stand there and enter information. Usually, you've got to clean your club, throw it back in your bag, and move on to the next shot.

Honestly, for me, it became too cumbersome entering information, and I found I was missing out on the things I like about golf i.e. the scenery, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying the course, enjoying the company, conversation, etc.

I already use a laser range finder, so I have no plans for the GPS unit (BTW - the laser is the best accessory I've ever bought). But if you want a yardage device, I'm sure Intelligolf does that and much more. I'd just have to hire a caddy to enter all my info for me, so I could still enjoy the game.

I guess that could be true if you were entering every bit of info on each shot (club used, distance, etc....) I have never used it that way.

I enter total score from the hole, number of putts, and most times I will track if I hit the fairway. This is a total of 3 clicks and takes only a few seconds.

I usually enter my playing partners scores and putts if they want. I don't usually bother with their FW stats. This allows for quick totaling of the scores and even better it tracks any side-games you are playing. It gives you a running total at any time. In fact, I would say it speeds up the score keeping.

In the end, you have stats for total score, putts, GIR (automatically calculated based on score and number of putts), FWs hit, as well as a breakdown of scoring on par 3s, 4s, 5s, etc, etc...

When you sync with the PC and you have a picture of your stats over the season complete with graphs it is when it really pays off. It even has a view of your dream round per course (best score on each hole of a course)

The club by club stats was really what I was interested in. I lump myself in this category, and perhaps many more are the same here, that I "think" I hit my 7 iron 160, 6 iron 170, 5 iron 180, etc, but what are my true tendancies? Is there a uniform 10 yard shot differential from club to club? Do I actually hit my 7 iron 156 on average and my 6 173, leaving a 17 yard difference from 6 to 7?

What are my tendancies for missing approach shots (and by club)? For the short game clubs, do I consistently come up well short, long, right, left? Do I miss putts on the same side of the hole all the time?

I wanted stats that could have a measurable difference to my game. Information that can translate to better decisions on the course. Frankly I don't find GIR, FIR, or # Putts tell me anything. They don't tell me what to do differently to make a difference.

I've heard the following expression before: The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over, but expecting a different result.

The amount of effort involved to get to this level of detail from Intelligolf was too much to ask without sacrificing the other things about golf that I like. Absolutely agree, if all you're after is Fairways, greens, putts, and total score, Intelligolf is a breeze. But for that level of detail, I find the scorecard works pretty well too.

GPS definately would make the stats easier. I'm like JMR
    score - putts - fairway - penalty - next hole 3-5 clicks. You learn your clubs real distances very quickly with the GPS without tracking every shot individually.

All I'm saying is that I bought Intelligolf for the specific reason to collect good stats that will allow me to make more informed decisions about how I play the game. I would not have bought it if all I were to use it for was score, fairways, putts, greens, and penalties. I find tracking these notes on the scorecard more than adequate.

I find fairways, greens and putts are more reactive or "after the fact" type stats. You can look back at a round and say why didn't I shoot very well, and maybe the answer is you only hit 4 greens in a day. The obvious conclusion is to hit more greens and fairways. But knowing how many greens I hit doesn't help me hit any more.

I probably would get a lot more out of Intelligolf had I used the GPS feature. I know you can track your shot quite easily with the GPS attached by telling the software your starting location and finish location, and which club you used. I like the accuracy of the "range finder to pin". Perhaps I would get a lot out of having both systems (seems overkill I'm aware). The laser for the knowing the distance to the pin and Intelligolf to track the result.

I have both the GPS and a rangefinder in the bag. I only use the rangefinder when I am at an unsurveyed course.

To me the GPS is the main feature of intelligolf. The scoring is great since it is so easy. The stats are an interesting bonus worth the few clicks, but no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    GPS definately would make the stats easier. I'm like JMR
    score - putts - fairway - penalty - next hole 3-5 clicks. You learn your clubs real distances very quickly with the GPS without tracking every shot individually.
    I forgot about the penalty 'click'... I guess I don't need it as much as Dan

Nice

do I need to purchase it twice to run it on both systems or can it be installed on both handhelds?

Thanks for the great info guys. Much appreciated it. I was getting it anyway but am looking very foward to it.

Loch march
    Glen mar
    greensmere
    manderly
    meadows
    stonebridge
    irish hills
    Calabogie
    Canadian
    emerald links
    falcon ridge
    pakenham...

These are all the courses I played this year in ottawa, most more than once. All of them are mapped and on the website. Anyone know what the little icon next to some of the courses means?

I know they aren't going to do this because I read the FAQ but if they could also give you a picture of each hole on your GPS that would be awesome. With the new 2gb cards you could still fit a more courses than you could play all season. That is the only thing I thougt was lacking, the visuals but since no one else does it either I guess it really isn't lacking

hey guys, I'm about to purchase on the website

this is the one I should be buying correct?

http://www.intelligolf.com/dieagleppc.asp

I have the garmin m5 and I have the dell axim, both use windows mobile 5

Courses with have GPS information.
    You can read can't you?

There are only a few of the courses on your list that have been GPS surveyed. We look forward to your contributions.

All the courses I listed are on the intelligolf website

http://www.intelligolf.com/coursesDb...&state=Ontario

Yes I can read... why would they tell me that the courses with the icons have GPS information. Isn't every course listed here GPS information about that course? Am I missing something?

jmr73, that code is expired is there another one you might have?

why would they tell me that the courses with the icons have GPS information
    Because if you download the ones without the icon expecting them to be GPS enabled you would be dissapointed.
    Isn't every course listed here GPS information about that course?
    Not all the courses have GPS information. Only the Eagle version supports GPS so many of the older course files just have yardage, par & handicap info in them.
    The Eagle edition includes all of the Birdie edition's features (handheld, desktop, and synchronization software) plus adds support for "GPS" and "Bluetooth".
    Am I missing something?
    Apparently you are, but I am sure reading the Intelligolf website would help fill in the blanks.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 11-07-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Because if you download the ones without the icon expecting them to be GPS enabled you would be dissapointed.
    No need to wait until then, I'm already disapointed just hearing that

Not all the courses have GPS information. Only the Eagle version supports GPS so many of the older course files just have yardage, par & handicap info in them.
    YOu have manderly GPSd yet there is no icon beside Manderly.... why is that?

I am sure reading the Intelligolf website would help fill in the blanks.

I've read it twice already. I guess I will read it again.

So, only the courses in ottawa with the icons are GPS surveyed. I have no problem spending the first month surverying the 3-4 courses. I know the guys in the proshop so I will get out really early at canadian, glenmar, greensmere and irish hills and survey them in one go and upload them to the site so we can all enjoy them. Other than those courses the only other one I play regulary is Emerald links and manderly. If I have all those on the PDA I'm a happy camper

thanks for all the info, some great stuff in the thread guys.

Check the Manderley listed uner North Gower, not Ottawa. Those are the ones I did. Check all the Quebec courses too.

wicked, thanks dan!!!

Ok, there are 54 courses GPs'd in ontario. I downloaded them all but can't figure out how to get them onto the PDA. its a 500k file. I got the software and just want to play around with it. I know I can download the courses directly to the PDA via wifi but I don't have wireless in this apt.

I read the FAQ and couldn't find anything. Read the manual for pocket PCs as well.

How do you get the gps'd course from the website onto the axim?

this is my first PDA so I'm a bit lost

On my Palm OS:

Courses you tick off in the inteligolf software (little moitor icon in front of the name) will be installed on your next hotsync. Then tick it off so it does not bother to reinstall every hotsync. I don't think just puting the file on your PDA will add it to the program.

yeah, mine was the same. I'm going to have a ton of fun with this thing in the summer. I read something pretty interesting on a GPS forum I posted on.

"Pretty much all of the receivers fall into two categories--WAAS/EGNOS capable and NOT capable. With WAAS, the accuracy will be 3-5M 95% of the time"

3-6 meters is pretty accurate. Have you guys found it to be this accurate as well?

It is very accurate when the system can see 5 + satellites. You may see less than that in the tree lined holes.

Mine is WAAS capable and when you see the WAAS icon you know it's a very very good yardage to the point where the measurement was taken, provided that the measuring point was good... GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out)

Bottom line is the courses you download are user gathered surveys. I hope everyone was as thorough as I was when I did Manderley. Very few points needed adjustment but some were not right after the first pass, perhaps a cloud was in the way when the survey spot was recorded.

yeah, I may have to get some surverying pointers from you when I start doing courses in the west end. I checked out all the games that you can play, who knew there were so many different golf wagering games! Which is your fav one? keeps all the parties interesting even if the match is over with 9 holes left

My fave?... Handicapped Match Play.

My fave?... Handicapped Match Play.

Thread Information